vg88 hum NOT from pick up - just when guitar out to any fx unit

Started by miketheaxe, May 09, 2015, 06:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miketheaxe

Hi, chose that title because I've spent a lot of time rewiring  my sustainer/ gk3 setup and wanted to make it clear, the problem is not the guitar and save some people a bit of time.
Had the vg88 since 2001 and modded a jackson soloist for sustainer/gk2, took it to bits and made it internal.I wired it originally, so my guitar pickups went directly to the guitar/mix/gk 3 way, so never used the guitar out on the vg88, just went direct to an amp with the pickup out. Had no issues with that. The gk3 I replaced it with, is wired so  the guitar out is "normal" and a feed from the guitar volume, goes to the gk3 circuit, (standard installation) so now I have use of the normal guitar out from the vg88, when using the 13 pin lead only. All works fine, but : My problem now is, (this is before I even plug the 13pin cable in)  the moment I connect the guitar out to my fx processor, I get a low hum like an earth loop sound.I tried a di box so I could ground lift the guitar signal; it was much worse. If I connect the guitar out from the vg88 to my roland cube, running on batteries, there's no hum. I can then connect the 13 pin and all works perfectly. I can also plug the main guitar out direct to the cube and 13 pin to the gv88 - still great, no hum. My question is : how can I remove the hum? The processor is earthed, the vg88 is live/neutral only. Thoughts welcomed, thank you.
Mike

Elantric

read

Fix your Audio Ground Loop Buzzes and Noises
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2078.0

miketheaxe

;) Brilliant, thanks. If that comprehensive page doesn't solve it, nothing will!