Miditech PianoBox Mini - General MIDI Synth Module

Started by Rhcole, February 18, 2016, 06:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

Before I get into WHY I am reviewing this product, let me tell you the reasons why almost everyone in the known universe will overlook the PianoBox mini synthesizer:
* It is a General MIDI module, just like on almost every computer soundcard since the 90's
* You can't edit the voices; no ADSR, not even pitch or octave shift
* Some of the voices such as choirs and doo-wahs are downright chee-z

Still reading? Here's the payoff. It's as small as a compact pedal, runs on battery power for hours, and it receives MIDI and sends power over USB.
Hello Fishman Triple Play! If you have an FTP rig, for less than $200 you can have a synth module on your pedal board that is no larger than a pack of cigarettes. Or for that matter, any MIDI guitar can drive it, because they also include an adapter for standard MIDI in.
While some of the voices aren't good, many are; the pianos, celeste, etc. are of good quality and I like the synth patches very much. The horns and reeds aren't SampleTank quality but very workable.
For me, here is the extra payoff: I can run both it and guitar through the SY-300 and create a Monsterzilla sound in a pretty compact space. The photo included illustrates. The SY gives me the ability to add octaves and other FX, and the PianoBox GM voices can act as the raw material for SY-300 Osc voices. I can blend guitar and the PianoBox in the SY-300 using the Boss LS-2 shown and it is a very powerful combination. In the picture, I have the Digitech EX-7 included in the loop which adds the unique Space Station strings for which the Digitech Space Station was famous.

I checked out other tiny synth modules, but reviews were not confident about the USB compatibility on some products. The PianoBox fired up with the FTP instantly.

Check it out.

Rhcole

Here's another variation of the same basic idea. It isn't fully wired up yet, but you can follow. The Big Sky goes into the Send/Return loop on the SY-300 and adds powerful back-end processing. I also stuck a pitch shifter directly on the PianoBox which provides cleaner shifts than the SY and also sounds more like the original source than the SY Osc settings. I will add a volume pedal to bring the SY up and down in volume compared to the straight guitar.

BTW, the PianoBox has a couple of odd quirks I didn't mention... the bass guitar voices are all an octave too high compared to other sounds ??? and the GM numbering starts at 000 instead of 001, which throws some voice charts off.

Guitar pedals are like synth patch panels to me. I constantly get new ideas for configurations and HAVE to hear what they sound like.

Elantric

M-Audio Accent Digital Piano Tone Module with USB Host port (FTP)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17756.msg126511#msg126511

Kelly's Music carries many interesting MIDI Tone Modules suitable for MIDI Guitarists 
http://kellysmusicandcomputers.com/music-technology-hardware/sound-cards/midi-sound-module/

JiveTurkey

Replying to this post as RHC got me interested in this box in the first place.

FWIW; got it up and running. Big caveat is that (unless I am missing something completely obvious---yes I RTM already); the FTP overrides the onboard controls of the miniEngine. I can control volume from the FTP pickup, but I cannot switch patches for whatever reason and I need an external midi controller connected via 3.5mm adapter to change patches on the device. RHC, if you are reading this; how are you switching patches on the device? It's probably something stupid but the unit itself is dead simple ???

Sounds are decent as expected but obviously not breathtaking. Again; completely as expected. I am betting in combination with the SY processing it can sound really good.

Rhcole

Hey JT,

On my rig the FTP can switch patches and the PBM controls still work. None of the issues you are reporting.
The weird thing for me is that the patches are an octave down compared to the guitar, sometimes useful sometimes not.
The FTP was literally plug n' play.

R

JiveTurkey

Thanks for the response RHC.

MiniEngine going back. Onboard controls dont work, there are some glitching in the tones I have no configurability options in device to adjust and the overall sounds are not quite as good as I'd like, ideally. Not entirely unexpected given the price point. Not sure if there is a difference between the piano box in the Mini Engine either. Seems to have the same sound and functionality from the sparse documentation that's available.

I also had weird glitching where I would play a note and then it would modulate down like a whole step at the end of the note . I play an A and it would go down to G before it died out. Really weird and obviously not acceptable. I'm not sure if it was programming on the FTP side of things or the Mini Engine or just midi anomalies that I couldn't see.

The hostbox works exactly as I thought it would. The housing is solid but the front and back face where the ports are is a thinner material. Not a dealbreaker, but just know up front if you want to order one. Used it to drive my Roland synth without any real issue. Had to change a few settings in hardware mode on the FTP itself. Couple of playing technique adjustments to be made (aka not much legato) but overall pleased.

JiveTurkey

One more thing. Are you setting up individual patches on the FTP itself as far as pitch Bend and sensitivity Etc? At least right now I find I am using just one configuration to play every synth patch I'm using on the keyboard or whatever other Hardware synth device available at the time.