Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise

Started by Elantric, October 02, 2014, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-technical-preview-for-enterprise?i=1

Note: This is an early preview. Carefully read the information below before you continue with the download.

Review Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise system requirements
Register, then download and install full-featured software. Trial expires April 15, 2015
Receive email with resources to guide you through your preview
Installation Guidelines

Plan ahead. Back up your files and settings before installing this preview.
While Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise is only available in English, Chinese, and Brazilian Portuguese, the English version can be installed in all markets where Windows is available.
Upon installation, Windows will prompt you to activate. A product key is not required for this software.
In order to use Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise, you must sign in to your PC with a Microsoft account. The option to create a local account will be made available at the time of the final release.
If you decide that you want to install Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise using one of the provided ISO files, you won't be able to uninstall it. In addition, after you install Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise, you won't be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your preview version of Windows. A clean installation of your former operating system will be required, and you will need to re-install all of your programs and data.

Kenmac

I've been trying out Windows 10 preview for the past couple of days in Virtualbox. So far, so good.  I haven't encountered any bugs or odd behaviour yet. I never bothered to upgrade to Windows 8 (still using Windows 7) so I find I have to do a little more searching in Windows 10 to find things but I'm getting more comfortable with it.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

Elantric

BE Careful with Windows 10 - It is spying on everything you do.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/windows_10_privacy_controversy_sysadmin_blog/

portions of Microsoft's privacy policy, which indicates that the company
is using a keylogger, among other methods, to obtain information about
the software's performance. This is likely one of the reasons why
Microsoft insists that Windows Technical Preview not be installed on
computers that are used every day.

"When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects
information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your
use of those devices, applications and networks," the privacy policy
stated. "Examples of data we collect include your name, email address,
preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call
and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application
usage."

Microsoft provided four examples, one of which clearly states that when
entering text into any application, Microsoft may collect those typed
characters. Why? So that the company can fine-tune the spell check and
auto-complete features. Again, the Technical Preview is not ideal on
machines used for everyday purposes unless users don't care about this
"character collection."

Microsoft also revealed that when users open a file, the company
collects information about the file, the program that opens the file and
how long it takes to open said file. Microsoft claims that it uses this
information to improve performance and more. Microsoft also collects
information about programs that are installed -- including the device
they are installed on -- and uses that information to determine and
improve Windows 10's compatibility with those programs.

The company acknowledges that it may collect voice information if the
customer uses voice input features, such as speech-to-text. This
information will be used to improve speech processing, Microsoft
revealed.

"Microsoft uses data we collect from the Program to operate, improve and
personalize the Program and other Microsoft products and services," the
privacy policy stated. "Some data is stored on your device and some
data is transmitted to Microsoft. Microsoft shares some data with our
partners to improve how their products and services work with
Microsoft's products and services."

BackDAWman

Probably not wise to use Internet banking or PayPal while trialling it then...

Elantric

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/07/14/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-new-monthly-charge/?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix&yptr=yahoo#35a50ad1dfab

Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 New Monthly Charge

by: Gordon Kelly

For months Microsoft has been describing Windows 10 "as a service"  and now we know why. Microsoft is going to introduce a monthly subscription fee for Windows 10 usage...

That cost will be $7 per user per month but the good news is it only applies to enterprises, for now. The new pricing tier will be called "Windows 10 Enterprise E3" and it means Windows has finally joined Office 365 and Azure as a subscription service.

Of course the big question is now: How does this new subscription pricing affect the millions of consumers who upgraded to Windows 10 on the promise of it being free?

The good news is Microsoft has gone on record to say it is not being passed down to consumers at this stage: "This new subscription model is not associated with our current upgrade offering or applicable to the Windows 10 consumer edition," a Microsoft spokesperson told PC World.

Could Microsoft eventually introduce Windows 10 monthly subscriptions for consumers? Without doubt, but I would be highly sceptical they would apply to anyone who has already upgraded. That said there is likely to be a threshold in future where Microsoft will draw a line in the sand for the ongoing addition of new features without a fee.

Why? Because Microsoft has confirmed on many occasions that Windows 10 is the "last version of Windows" meaning it will be updated on a rolling basis with no Windows 11 to replace it. Consequently there will have to be a cut off point somewhere, sometime – mostly likely when Microsoft feels Windows 10 is at the 'Windows 11' stage of development.

At that point I suspect Microsoft may simplify things and just rename it 'Windows'. Here is when all Windows pricing could become subscription only given even upfront costs would expire at some point and become a messy marketing exercise.

But in the meantime the rush is on for those who still want to upgrade to Windows 10 while it is free. The window for this closes on July 29th and Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro will then cost $119 and $199 respectively for consumers who didn't upgrade.

Out of interest at the $7 per month enterprise rate, consumers would get 17 and 28 months use out of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro respectively. This isn't a great deal for Home users and shows a new consumer-focused pricing tier would likely need to be introduced to make it more appealing should Microsoft go down that path in future.

Until then Windows 10 will remain free a little longer and for millions of Windows 7 and Windows 8 users it is make up your mind time...

chrish

Until then Windows 10 will remain free a little longer and for millions of Windows 7 and Windows 8 users it is make up your mind time...[/i]
end quote: time ....to switch to a mac.

Kevin M

Happily rolling with OSX, Linux, and Windows 7.

Chumly

I have three laptops running Win 10 without consequential issues. I also have three laptops on XP, a desktop on Win7, and a work-supplied laptop on Win7. I doubt the sky is falling on the world of Microsoft, but yes Win 10 can be a bit of an annoyance, a bit invasive, and embrace change for change's sake, but for that matter iOS is not immune to similar critique.

I have no direct experience with Linux or OSX but my ideal operating system is one that I never notice, never gets in the way, is never invasive, I can always find things quickly, that never changes just for change's sake, and keeps the same GUI over time, or at least allows you to put it back to classic GUI.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

chrish

When you agree to let companies spy on you, aren't you doing a dis-service to the rest of the population who don't want that? Old computers fail eventually and so goes the old os with them. So now the only choise for a Windows pc will be a spying, money grubbing machine, unless you know how to install  and use a platform such as Linox (that may not even be a future option). I don't know much about linox, but does support the vg99 editor, or the sy-300 drivers. Or am i being too dramatic yet again. :-) We humans evolved by  working in cooperative groups but now, in the US at least, the emphasis seems to be what's good for 'me', what's the best for 'me', is the correct way.

Rhcole

Linux is a very clean desktop OS without the enforcements you get from Apple and MS. But it is not a great music OS and simply doesn't have the variety and support of the others.

Elantric

Rhcole

When it gets Tone Studio and Omnisphere I will be all over it.