GR-55- Sweet Caroline

Started by bcbeak, May 11, 2016, 05:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcbeak

The band learned Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond last week .. with a keyboard player at rehearsal.
When he could not make the gig over the weekend, I dialed up a horns patch on the GR-55 and with a
little practice had the song down perfect.  The patch I found matched the recording exactly. No tweaking.

When that song came up at the gig .. the band was concerned how it would sound without keys.  I jumped in with
the opening keyboard part and blew them away. All smiles.  This GR-55 thing is the greatest! So much fun and
so versatile. As a working cover band guitar player, it is the best thing I have ever purchased.  One side benefit .. I never
spend any money on pedals, trying to "find my tone" or add effects .. its all right in the Roland.
Country Musician:
Pedal Steel Guitar, Fiddle, Banjo, GR55

pedwards2932

Sometimes I think we spend more time complaining about what it won't do then marveling at what it will do.  So far for me the list of what the GR55 will do outweighs the things it won't ;D

Tek

Quote from: pedwards2932 on May 11, 2016, 08:16:19 AM
Sometimes I think we spend more time complaining about what it won't do then marveling at what it will do.  So far for me the list of what the GR55 will do outweighs the things it won't ;D
+1!!!

concordal

QuoteThe band learned Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond last week

bcbeak, please share your Sweet Caroline patch.

HAMERMAN409

Yes - the frustrating thing about the GR-55 is that in many ways it's one good software update away from greatness. I wouldn't expect the patch switch delay to ever get resolved but many of the other small things we would like added/changed could very likely be done with an update. Having said that I am still happy to have what I have.

bcbeak

Nothing special .. just one of the basic trumpet patches in the LEAD section.
Country Musician:

Autana

Quote from: HAMERMAN409 on May 12, 2016, 05:51:34 AM
Yes - the frustrating thing about the GR-55 is that in many ways it's one good software update away from greatness. I wouldn't expect the patch switch delay to ever get resolved but many of the other small things we would like added/changed could very likely be done with an update. Having said that I am still happy to have what I have.

you can overcome the GR-55 switching delay gap/mute between patches with some programation techniques:

Quote from: Elantric on December 02, 2013, 07:30:39 AM

One thing that worries me is the speed of switching between patches. For a live things... this takes about 50 ms ??

Correct - thats why you must visit these threads and try to use multiple -assignments to the Expression pedal / CTRL Pedal - this provides multiple tones on just one patch.

* GR-55 Control Switch - More than 1 function?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9863.msg70789#msg70789

* GR-55 Ultimate Multi Control patches (solves the GR-55 long Patch change delay (with mute) issue)
Jim Williams Multiple Assignment Pathes.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5647.msg38806#msg38806
Learn multi-assignments by following all steps outlined here - then edit to suit YOUR needs.

Guitarplayer_10's  GR-55 Ultimate Multi Control patch step by step
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7267.msg50612#msg50612

Toby Krebs posted dozens of GR-55 patches he uses at his gig. Each patch uses Multiple Control Assignments for the Expression pedal to allow you to "pan" between rhythm and solo tones withing each patch  - this allow you to use One GR-55 patch per song and circumvent the long mute silence gap that occurs when changing GR-55 patches during a song.   
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8709.0

GR-55 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

concordal

Quote from: bcbeak on May 12, 2016, 07:09:18 AM
Nothing special .. just one of the basic trumpet patches in the LEAD section.

Okay, thanks bcbeak.

bcbeak

Here is a video ... of the patch in action

Country Musician:

HAMERMAN409

alexmcginness

Best combination for a do everything rig? GR-55 and a VG-99. If youve got a combination of a GK/Triple Play pickup then maybe the 99 and a triple play. The 55/99 will give you everything you need using one GK pickup though. That would be my choice. All the synth and PCM sounds you need with two pedals. No fuss no muss.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.