Vox VXII/VX50GTV/Cambridge 50 -Portable ,USB Audio, 8 channel foot switch

Started by Elantric, July 25, 2015, 09:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Vox VXII - 24 bit Audio Interface for IPad, with portable 30 watt modeling amp

$149

This might be a good basis for a mobile Positive Grid BIAS FX IOS  / iPad Guitar rig.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/7db87262#/7db87262/70
http://www.guitar-bass.net/news/vox-announces-new-vx-i-vx-ii/

VOX VXII OWNERS MANUAL
http://www.voxamps.com/uploads/SupportPage_Downloads/VXI_II_OM_EFGS2.pdf

VOX ASIO USB Driver
http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Software/Vox2chAudio/VOX2chAudioDriver.zip

]

http://www.voxamps.com/VXII/

Redefining the modelling amplifier as you know it.
Advanced technology that carefully recreates classic amplifier circuits, providing a more authentic tone.

Modelling amplification was first introduced nearly two decades ago. Since then, thanks to the advancement in technology, the quality and functionality of these amplifiers has increased dramatically. Because of these improvements, modelling amplifiers have become a more popular choice for a variety of modern guitarists. Now with the debut of VX I and VX II, VOX introduces a bold new modelling technique that yields vastly improved sound quality and a more authentic playing experience. A longtime innovator of modelling technology, VOX Amplification has taken modelling amps to the next level with the VX I and VX II.
When we began work on the VX I and VX II, we had come to the conclusion that conventional modelling methods had been exhausted. In order to achieve advanced sound, a newer, more refined method was developed. This innovative new method, known as VET (Virtual Element Technology), meticulously models the actual circuits and electrical components of an amplifier. This more sophisticated approach to modelling results in a more accurate and more articulate representation of the desired amplifier. Taking this process one step further, we also reengineered the conventional guitar cabinet, opting for a one-piece, sealed enclosure that enhances the sound quality and performance of the VX amplifier range.

The circuits at work in the VX I and VX II offer guitarists the best of both digital and analog amplifier design. The Virtual Element Technology at the heart of these amplifiers was used to revive a myriad of classic amplifiers. The VX Series offers functionality that is beyond current digital amplifiers and represents an evolutionary step for modelling technology.

This technology is referred to as "modelling" because it is based on the existence of an original amplifier. In the case of rare vintage amps, it is not unusual for individual units of the same model to sound different due to the passage of time and the varying environments in which they have been used. For these reasons, the selection of the original amp has a major influence on the accuracy and sound quality of a modelling amp. Since the analysis is based on the output sound, the condition of the amp is also very influential, and the unavoidable reliance on the human ear has an even greater effect. These factors make it difficult to say that the modelling accuracy extends to the tonal changes arising from the interaction between the tone controls, the volume, and the various components.
In order to resolve these issues, we completely rethought previous methods of modelling for the VX I and VX II. This led to the development of VET (Virtual Element Technology), which models the actual circuit of the original amp. An enormous amount of information about the vacuum tubes and each individual component was carefully analyzed in order to accurately reproduce the characteristics of the desired amplifier, as they were originally intended.

A diverse array of amps and effects allows for comprehensive sound-shaping
The eleven built-in amp models include VOX's legendary AC30 as well as also several high-gain, crunch, and clean sounds. A VX amplifier is the one unit you need to achieve a variety of coveted amplifier sounds ranging from classic vintage effects to costly boutique amps. A full complement of effects is also provided, including four types of modulation and four types of delay/reverb. The effects featured in the VX amplifier range have been also been reengineered to deliver more accurate and articulate tones.

The eleven preset programs take full advantage of these amps and effects to simulate the signature sounds of famous guitarists and classic songs.

A redesigned power amp stage, complete with an FET equipped analog circuit
Responsiveness, dynamic overdrive, and incredible sound quality — for the guitarist, these are the unique attractions of a tube amp, and are the reason that tube amps have continued to be sought by guitarists for decades. These characteristics are significantly influenced by the power amp stage of the amplifier. A new, FET-based analog power amp was designed specifically for the VX I and VX II to accurately reproduce the characteristics of a tube amp. This power amp design employs technology inherited from the Valvetronix series and succeeds in reproducing the distinctive sag of a classic tube amp.

Unique bass-reflex design and sealed cabinet produce a rich low-end
In addition to the circuit design, we considered all aspects that impact the sound, paying careful consideration to the cabinet and speaker design.
In order to obtain a more authentic sound and produce sound more efficiently, we employed a uniquely designed-bass reflex structure in conjunction with a sealed, one-piece speaker enclosure. While providing an external appearance appropriate for a guitar amp, the cabinet's shape, the curvature of the front and back surfaces, and the internal reinforcement ribs have all been carefully designed to optimize the resonance. A conventional wooden baffle was chosen to retain the projection and tone of a classic guitar amp, while the cabinet is constructed from lightweight and durable ABS. The combination of these two materials yields a superior acoustical property that sounds superb yet retains easy portability. All of these unique elements work together to bring forth a level of sound quality that was previously unachievable with an amp of this class.

The VX II comes equipped with a USB port and JamVOX III!
The VX II is equipped with a USB port for simple integration with your PC or Mac and also comes bundled with our JamVOX III modelling software. ASIO driver support is also provided, allowing you to not only interact with JamVOX III, but also to interface with your favorite DAW or guitar amp simulator. An additional editor application is also provided which allows for simple storage and editing of your favorite sounds on your PC, Mac, or iOS device!

FEATURES

Proprietary VET (Virtual Element Technology) models the actual circuitry of the original amp.
The new power amp stage employs an FET-equipped analog circuit and also models the sag and compression that is characteristic of classic amplifiers.
A sealed, one-piece speaker cabinet allows for overwhelming sonic performance and eliminates unwanted vibrations.
A unique bass-reflex design delivers an unprecedented amount of rich low end for an amplifier of this size.
The ABS cabinet material offers extremely light weight, durability, and unique acoustical properties.
Ultra-light weight design of 3.8 kg (8.38 lbs) shatters expectations for guitar amps.
A total of eleven extremely accurate built-in amp models, including coveted vintage amps and sought-after boutique amps.
A total of eight reengineered built-in effects: four types of modulation and four types of delay/reverb.
Power level control allows you to lower the volume without sacrificing dynamics.
Eleven song presets that instantly simulate the sound of historic songs and famous guitarists.
Two customizable user programs ( Eight when used with optional VFS5 Footswitch (2x4) )

JamVOX III modelling software is included.
USB audio interface function with ASIO support.
Editor/librarian software is provided, with support not only for PC, but also iOS devices.
Headphone output and AUX input for silent practice or playing along with your favorite tracks
An optional VFS5 foot switch allows for expanded user programmability.
Amp models (11 types)
DELUXE CL, TWEED 4x10, BOUTIQUE CL, BOUTIQUE OD, VOX AC30, VOX AC30TB, BRIT 1959, BRIT 800, BRIT VM, SL-OD, DOUBLE REC

Modulation effects (4 types)
CHORUS, FLANGER, ORG PHASE, TWIN TREM

Delay/reverb effects (4 types)
A.DELAY, TAPE ECHO, SPRING, HALL

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tone-room/id994350998?l=ja&ls=1&mt=8

VOX Tone Room iOS edition is an application that allows you to edit various parameters of the VOX products from your iPhone/iPad, and allows you to manage your programs and transmit/receive them with your computer. The edits that you make are immediately sent to the VOX products so that you can check the sounds as you edit them. Since VOX Tone Room can graphically display many parameters at once, all the capabilities of the VOX products can be handled more easily. VOX Tone Room is also useful as a librarian for managing all your sounds and settings.

Tone Room 1.0.0 support "VOX modeling guitar amplifier VX II"
http://www.voxamps.com/VXII/

To use this software with your VX II, you need a USB cable to connect with computer, and you need an Apple genuine USB camera adapter to use this software with an Apple iOS device.

VX II

Amp models: 11

Effects: 8

Preset Programs: 11

User Programs: 2 (Using the VFS5 foot switch increases the number of user programs to 8)

Input / Output

VX I: INPUT jack, Headphones jack, AUX IN jack, FOOT SW jack

VX II: INPUT jack, Headphones jack, AUX IN jack, FOOT SW jack, USB (Type B) port

Power Amplifier Output

VX I: Maximum approx. 15W RMS @4 ohms

VX II: Maximum approx. 30 W RMS @4 ohms

Speaker

VX I: 6.5" 4 ohms

VX II: 8" 4 ohms

Signal Processing

A/D conversion: 24-bit

D/A conversion: 24-bit

Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz

Power Supply

VX I: AC adapter (DC 12 V)

VX II: AC adapter (DC 15 V)

Current Consumption

VX I: 2.5 A

VX II: 3.3 A

Dimensions (W x D x H): 354 x 192 x 313 / 13.94" x 7.56" x 12.32"

Weight: 3.8 kg / 8.38 lbs.

Included Items:

VX I: AC adapter

VX II: AC adapter, JamVOX III download card
http://www.jamvox-online.com/

Accessories (sold separately): VOX VFS2 footswitch, VOX VFS5 footswitch

* Specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice for improvement.

JamVox 3 features

Elantric

I'll be reviewing this amp next week

Sweetwater reviews for Vox VXII are good so far

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VXII/

just about as perfect as you can get
by Joe from Crofton from Crofton, MD
Music Background: Long time musician
July 13, 2015
I have modeling amps. I have other Vox modeling amps. I have Fender modeling amps. All pretty nice. This is by far the best value in modeling amps that i have ever seen. Whatever Vox did with the design of the enclosure, or the modeling of the actual target amp circuitry worked. This thing is flat out FUN. Loud enough to irritate your wife, subtle enough to not irritate neighbors. Superb value.This has the best AC-30 Top Boost setting that I've heard outside of the real thing.For a hundred fifty bucks, you just can't go wrong

-----
A real amp, yet light as a toy!
by John from Upstate, NY
Music Background: Semi-Pro, Worship Leader
July 20, 2015
I purchased this amp based on its low price and promise of excellent tone. I use it at home for a practice amp so I can leave my main rig at Church where I play every week. I have to say that when I took the amp out of the box I was taken back at how light it was. It honestly felt like a toy. Its that light. I know this is due to the innovative design and materials that went into it, but you really have to get over that expectation if picking up some ply or MDF boat anchor. It reminded me of a big computer speaker - A big, hollow, plastic box. I was convinced the amp was over-hyped and would not sound so great. I was wrong.

Upon plugging in the amp I was met with some excellent tones that one would not expect to come out of an amp this light or a speaker this size. It does NOT sound like a toy - not in the least (though the controls and buttons kind of feel like one). There is a depth, character and responsiveness (to pick attack, guitar volume etc.) that one would not expect from a modeling amp. And the models are all very credible. The cleans are especially rich with harmonic content. Some of the sounds seem to approach that lower mid "push" that seems to only come from tube amps and big cabinets - until now. My various guitars into each respective model sounded exactly as they should. Very authentic. Impressive!

As the other reviewer said (there were only two of us at the time of this writing), this thing can definitely get loud enough to annoy your family. Way louder than I expected. Oh, but it sounds so good. Happily it also sounds excellent at low volumes. It really is a satisfying playing experience. You can turn the channel volume down as well as the power scaling down. Interestingly, the volume and power scaling are saved with each patch, so be aware that you can move from model to model and have one quiet (because you saved it that way) and have the next one be very loud (because maybe it is still at the factory level). This is kind of an interesting decision on Vox's part. What I don't like is the apparent inability to play quietly during one session (say at night when everyone's asleep) and - when the family is gone - crank things up globally. Maybe Vox will change this down the road via a firmware update.

The only reason I purchased this larger variant of the VX is due to the USB connection and PC-based editing. That is something that was a little less impressive. In Vox's defense, I have not spend a lot of time with that, but my point is that you probably should not have to spend a lot of time figuring something like that out. I was expecting deeper patch editing, but it really just seems like a computer-based editing of exactly what is on the top panel save for some numbers to maybe help you know where you are parameter wise. It almost seems like more of a patch librarian than a tone editor, but even that seemed quirky and intuitive. I closed the application and went back to just playing with the amp. Time will tell if application and firmware updates evolve things to a better place over time. Seems likely and imminently doable.

So even though I'm currently not impressed with the PC editor (the reason for the .5 off), the amp holds its own as an outstanding practice amp. It is simple to use and very enjoyable to play with and through. Give this one a try. I believe you'll be glad you did!

--
Vox VX I & VX II modelling guitar amps announced
"Redefining the modelling amplifier as you know it," claims Vox

Vox VX I & VX II

Vox has announced new modelling combos that the company says offer more authentic amplifier models than its previous Valvetronix amplifiers, along with host of other new features. Read on for the official skinny...

Press Release

Redefining the modeling amplifier as you know it. Advanced technology that carefully recreates classic amplifier circuits, providing a more authentic tone.

・Proprietary VET (Virtual Element Technology) models the actual circuitry of the original amp.
・The new power amp stage employs an FET-equipped analog circuit and also models the sag and compression that is characteristic of classic amplifiers.
・A sealed, one-piece speaker cabinet allows for overwhelming sonic performance and eliminates unwanted vibrations.
・A unique bass-reflex design delivers an unprecedented amount of rich low end for an amplifier of this size.
・The ABS cabinet material offers extremely light weight, durability, and unique acoustical properties.
・Ultra-light weight design of 3.8 kg (8.38 lbs) shatters expectations for guitar amps.
・A total of eleven extremely accurate built-in amp models, including coveted vintage amps and sought-after boutique amps.
・A total of eight reengineered built-in effects: four types of modulation and four types of delay/reverb.
・Power level control allows you to lower the volume without sacrificing dynamics.
・Eleven song presets that instantly simulate the sound of historic songs and famous guitarists.
・Two customizable user programs
・JamVOX III modeling software is included (VX II only).
・USB audio interface function with ASIO support (VX II only).
・Editor/librarian software is provided, with support not only for PC, but also iOS devices (VX II only).
・Headphone output and AUX input for silent practice or playing along with your favorite tracks
・An optional VFS5 foot switch allows for expanded user programmability.

Vox VX panel

Modeling amplification was first introduced nearly two decades ago. Since then, thanks to the advancement in technology, the quality and functionality of these amplifiers has increased dramatically. Because of these improvements, modeling amplifiers have become a more popular choice for a variety of modern guitarists. Now with the debut of VX I and VX II, VOX introduces a bold new modeling technique that yields vastly improved sound quality and a more authentic playing experience. A longtime innovator of modeling technology, VOX Amplification has taken modeling amps to the next level with the VX I and VX II.

When we began work on the VX I and VX II, we had come to the conclusion that conventional modeling methods had been exhausted. In order to achieve advanced sound, a newer, more refined method was developed. This innovative new method, known as VET (Virtual Element Technology), meticulously models the actual circuits and electrical components of an amplifier. This more sophisticated approach to modeling results in a more accurate and more articulate representation of the desired amplifier. Taking this process one step further, we also reengineered the conventional guitar cabinet, opting for a one-piece, sealed enclosure that enhances the sound quality and performance of the VX amplifier range.

The circuits at work in the VX I and VX II offer guitarists the best of both digital and analog amplifier design. The Virtual Element Technology at the heart of these amplifiers was used to revive a myriad of classic amplifiers. The VX Series offers functionality that is beyond current digital amplifiers and represents an evolutionary step for modeling technology.

New VET (Virtual Element Technology) modeling technology
This technology is referred to as "modeling" because it is based on the existence of an original amplifier. In the case of rare vintage amps, it is not unusual for individual units of the same model to sound different due to the passage of time and the varying environments in which they have been used. For these reasons, the selection of the original amp has a major influence on the accuracy and sound quality of a modeling amp. Since the analysis is based on the output sound, the condition of the amp is also very influential, and the unavoidable reliance on the human ear has an even greater effect. These factors make it difficult to say that the modeling accuracy extends to the tonal changes arising from the interaction between the tone controls, the volume, and the various components.
In order to resolve these issues, we completely rethought previous methods of modeling for the VX I and VX II. This led to the development of VET (Virtual Element Technology), which models the actual circuit of the original amp. An enormous amount of information about the vacuum tubes and each individual component was carefully analyzed in order to accurately reproduce the characteristics of the desired amplifier, as they were originally intended.

A diverse array of amps and effects allows for comprehensive sound-shaping
The eleven built-in amp models include VOX's legendary AC30 as well as also several high-gain, crunch, and clean sounds. A VX amplifier is the one unit you need to achieve a variety of coveted amplifier sounds ranging from classic vintage effects to costly boutique amps. A full complement of effects is also provided, including four types of modulation and four types of delay/reverb. The effects featured in the VX amplifier range have been also been reengineered to deliver more accurate and articulate tones. The eleven preset programs take full advantage of these amps and effects to simulate the signature sounds of famous guitarists and classic songs.

A redesigned power amp stage, complete with an FET equipped analog circuit
Responsiveness, dynamic overdrive, and incredible sound quality — for the guitarist, these are the unique attractions of a tube amp, and are the reason that tube amps have continued to be sought by guitarists for decades. These characteristics are significantly influenced by the power amp stage of the amplifier. A new, FET-based analog power amp was designed specifically for the VX I and VX II to accurately reproduce the characteristics of a tube amp. This power amp design employs technology inherited from the Valvetronix series and succeeds in reproducing the distinctive sag of a classic tube amp.

Unique bass-reflex design and sealed cabinet produce a rich low-end
In addition to the circuit design, we considered all aspects that impact the sound, paying careful consideration to the cabinet and speaker design. In order to obtain a more authentic sound and produce sound more efficiently, we employed a uniquely designed- bass reflex structure in conjunction with a sealed, one-piece speaker enclosure. While providing an external appearance appropriate for a guitar amp, the cabinet's shape, the curvature of the front and back surfaces, and the internal reinforcement ribs have all been carefully designed to optimize the resonance. A conventional wooden baffle was chosen to retain the projection and tone of a classic guitar amp, while the cabinet is constructed from lightweight and durable ABS. The combination of these two materials yields a superior acoustical property that sounds superb yet retains easy portability. All of these unique elements work together to bring forth a level of sound quality that was previously unachievable with an amp of this class.

The VX II comes equipped with a USB port and JamVOX III!
The VX II is equipped with a USB port for simple integration with your PC or Mac and also comes bundled with our JamVOX III modeling software. ASIO driver support is also provided, allowing you to not only interact with JamVOX III, but also to interface with your favorite DAW or guitar amp simulator. The editor/ librarian software "Tone Room" is also provided by download which allows for simple storage and editing of your favorite sounds on your PC, Mac, or iOS device!

*The iOS version will be available later. Connecting to a computer via USB (VX II only) By connecting the amp to a computer using a standard USB cable, user programs can be managed with the Editor/Librarian software on your computer. The amp can also be used as a USB audio interface. The VX II can also be connected to an iOS device (iPad or iPhone) by using the Apple USB camera adapter. VX I is not equipped with the USB port. The input to the AUX IN jack is not output to the USB port.

Tip: Install a USB-MIDI driver in order to use the Editor/Librarian software on the computer. In addition, install a USB-ASIO driver in order to transfer audio data with a computer running Windows. Download the newest versions of the drivers and software from the VOX website (www.voxamps.com).

Tip: While holding down the TAP button, press the PROGRAM button to operate the amp as an audio interface (PROGRAM LED off and TAP LED lit). The input to the INPUT jack is directly output from the USB port, and the built-in amp models and effects are muted. Use this feature when you want to finish creating a sound using software such as JamVOX III on the computer. If the PROGRAM button, TAP button or AMP selector is operated, the amp returns to its normal operation.

Optional footswitch expands the number of presets
Using the optional VOX VFS5 footswitch expands the number of unique user programs to eight on the VX I and VX II amplifiers.

Amp models (11 types)
DELUXE CL, TWEED 4×10, BOUTIQUE CL, BOUTIQUE OD, VOX AC30, VOX AC30TB, BRIT 1959, BRIT 800, BRIT VM, SL-OD, DOUBLE REC
Modulation effects (4 types)
CHORUS, FLANGER, ORG PHASE, TWIN TREM
Delay/reverb effects (4 types)
A.DELAY, TAPE ECHO, SPRING, HALL

Pricing
SSP VX I £90.00 inc VAT / £75 ex VAT
VX II £138.00 inc VAT / £115 ex VAT

Visit Vox for more.

--
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/22725-vox-debuts-the-vx-series

Melville, NY (June 25, 2015) -- VOX has been increasing the quality of digital modeling technology for nearly 15 years with its various Valvetronix models, and now with the debut of the VX Series (VXI and VXII), VOX takes modeling amp sound to the next level. The introduction of a bold new proprietary modeling technique called Virtual Element Technology (VET), yields vastly improved sound quality and a more authentic playing experience because it models the actual circuitry of the original amp. The perfect practice amp, the VXI and VXII will be priced at $99.99 and $149.99, respectively and are available now.

"The VX series offers functionality that is beyond current digital amplifiers and represents an evolutionistic step for modeling technology. Rather than basing the amp models off of the sound-specific amplifiers that we have in our collection, as we've done in the past, we've developed a new approach that models the actual circuits and electrical components of an amplifier to bring players the best sounding amp in its class," stated Brian Piccolo Brand Manager for VOX.

In order to obtain a more authentic sound and produce sound more efficiently, VOX has employed a uniquely designed-bass reflex structure combined with a sealed, one-piece speaker enclosure. The cabinet's shape, curvature of the front and back surfaces, and the internal reinforcement ribs have been carefully designed to optimize the resonance. A conventional wooden baffle was chosen to retain the projection and tone of a classic guitar amp, while the cabinet is constructed from a lightweight and durable ABS material, similar to that of professional, high-end audio systems. The combination of these two materials produces superior acoustical properties with quality sound and easy portability.

"With the VX series, we wanted to make durable practice amplifiers that sound just like your favorite old tube amp...but that are a fraction of the weight and cost! We made sure to include amp models and effects that we find fun and inspiring, and that offer players a lot of versatility. The VET at the heart of these amplifiers was used to revive a myriad of classic amplifiers," added Piccolo.

The VX series features 11 classic amp models and eight distinct effects, and it allows for 22 unique user presets. The amp models cover a lot of ground, ranging from classic American and British amplifiers of the 1950s and 1960s, to the coveted sounds of the classic VOX AC30, to some modern, high-gain tone monsters. Complementing these great amp sounds are eight classic effects which include chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, tape-style delay, analog-style delay and two types of reverb: spring and hall.

The VX II is equipped with a USB port for simple integration with a PC or Mac and also comes bundled with VOX's JamVOX III modeling software.

"All of these unique elements work together to bring forth a level of sound quality that was previously unachievable with an amp of this class. The VX series will aim to appeal to all types of customers: from beginners all the way to seasoned pros because the sound quality combined with a host of easy-to-use features and a lightweight construction makes these the ideal practice amps," added Piccolo. "The circuits at work in the VXI and VXII offer guitarists the best of both digital and analog amplifier design. The VX I and VX II represent VOX's desire to evolve the typical practice amplifier, as well as the conventional modeling amplifier."

VXI $99.99 street
VXII $149.99 street

Elantric

Essentially the new Vox VXII Amp above  employs the new Vox Amplug I/O 24 bit USB Audio Interface built in

Confirmed works with Win/Mac/IOS as 24 bit Audio Interface.
VXII Owners Manual
http://www.voxamps.com/uploads/SupportPage_Downloads/VXI_II_OM_EFGS2.pdf

Here is the Vox Amplug I/O 24 bit audio interface $59 - Using PG BIAS FX on iPad, i'll compare the noise floor of the Vox VXII with the iRig Pro next week
http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAPIO?siid=173765&-cYCFRCCaQodkkkAOQ=

Plug this USB audio interface directly into your guitar for a convenient way to record on your computer. Run the amPlug with a battery or USB bus power.

Both Vox VXII Amp and Vox Amplug I/O come with free JamVox III, Mac/Win app which used to be a separate $99 purchase

GuitarBuilder

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Elantric

There appears to be BI-Directional MIDI Control (over USB) with Vox VX2 and the ToneRoom IOS Editor!

I will test this weekend with my iPhone

ADP

I got mine yesterday. I've had a few Vox amps: an AD60VTX, a VT80+ and a VTX150 Pro as well as a ToneLab ST. They've all been great so when I saw there was new Vox amp technology available for as little as the price of a decent pedal, I thought it was worth checking out.

The VX II weighs about the same as a guitar and is just over a foot square. In fact, when I was playing it, I simpy plonked it down right beside me, making it very convenient to change the settings. I was a little unsure about the plastic shell in place of traditional wood and vinyl at first, but I have to say that it looks pretty cool and obviously keeps the weight and cost down.

Now, as far as the sounds go, I have to say that I have very little experience of any of the actual amps the VX claims to model other than through other modelling amps or devices, but I have to say that they're as good as I think anyone needs in a practice amp of this size. In fact, they're probably much better than that. There are only eleven amp models available - fewer amps than in any other Vox modeller since the original blue series - but they're good ones. There also aren't as many effects included as in previous Vox modellers, but those that are present are actually quite decent.

I sat down to give it a go while watching TV and didn't get up until much later than I had intended. I normally play unplugged and always have just because it's so much more convenient but I think that this little box might change all that. It can go anywhere you can and just sounds great. I'm even considering buying another one so that I can go stereo.

I was so absorbed in playing last night that I haven't even downloaded JamVox III or tried the ToneRoom software yet.

I'll be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on Vox's newest offering. I think it's worth the asking price in anyone's money.

Elantric

Connect headphones to Vox VXII and see if you hear Stereo FX?

One "nag" is there appears to be no way to adjust the Depth of the Modulation FX - only the Rate/ Speed
In USB Mode I expect the Vox VXII works as a 24 bit Audio Interface, and Stereo is rather crucial for using the JamVoxIII's GFX Instrument Isolation Function.

I located the official ASIO USB driver for Vox VXII - at the Korg Japan site here

VOX VXII ASIO USB Driver for Windows
http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Software/Vox2chAudio/VOX2chAudioDriver.zip

No USB driver required for Mac / iPad / iPhone

(This was a shortcoming of my Fender Mustang Mini, it is mono Audio only - even in the headphone jack, and does not work for USB Audio Playback) 

The pedigree of Vox VXII is Korg DSP technology  - Korg was the same engineering team that developed the Vox ToneLab series, and the BlackStar ID amps as well. 

My Blackstar ID Core 40 has been less than fun, as it shuts down after 3 minutes anytime I feed audio into its "MP3/Aux" 3.5mm TRS Stereo input. and its only a 16 bit USB Audio device.

This Friday I will have a Vox VXII and VFX5 Footswitch, and plan to investigate  / test for :

* 24 bit low latency, low noise stereo Audio I/O ?

*Any MIDI Traffic over USB when i spin knobs, change the eight presets with footswitch?

My goal /dream is use Vox VXII +iPad for 24 bit audio I/O for Positive Grid BIAS FX, and use VFS5 Footswitch for MIDI over USB control

Vox Tone Room VXII Control IOS app with  iPhone (screenshot below)

Its interesting that this Small Amp has options for eight memory presets under footswitch control  = also the VFS5 Footswitch supports "Tap Tempo" entry"

ADP

I'll try the headphones later when I'm home. I also have the VFS5 but didn't use it last night. I hadn't spotted that it's possible to route the signal from the VX II through Bias FX on the iPad and then back through the speaker in the VX II. It makes this thing look like even more of a bargain than I had realised.

Elantric

QuoteI also have the VFS5 but didn't use it

Be sure to power "off" the VXII when connecting or removing the VFS5 Footswitch

ADP

Will do. It's late and I've just got home but I've plugged in headphones and can confirm that there's a signal through both of them although I can't tell whether or not there are different signals left and right. I'm currently listening to music through the Aux In and it's working fine. So far, it seems to be a very decent little amp with a lot to offer.

Elantric

Been playing the Vox VXII for the past hour - its really a fun little amp. Extremely light! and Punchy when cranked. 

Lots of great tones, easy to navigate. I got the optional VFS5 Footswitch , and its really intuitive. Very fast patch change time, very low noise - and really nice tube amp tone. crank the Main Volume knob, and I see I can play small low volume showcase gigs with this amp. Roll down the  "Power" knob and this amp faithfully maintains the nice Tube amp tone  - just lowers the decibel level, and no change in tone - perfect for bedroom practice 

Last time I encountered a plastic guitar amp was in 1966 with the "Eminee Tiger"

But this amp is just right for open mic night at the local folk club, as you play backing lead guitar for the local acoustic guitar songwriter. 

But Comparing my notes with other VXII reviews online , makes me question if others were reviewing the same amp
http://theuglyguitartruth.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-ugly-truth-about-vox-vxii-amps.html

QuoteIt Has Trouble With The Low End

I'm not having any problems - this Vox matches 100% the great tones heard in the official Vox youtube demos - I'm  playing a 2013  Godin LGX-SA - stock Seymour Duncan HB Pickups, but added Bigsby B7 - tuned standard tuning.

On the Vox VXII,  I do not detect any "flabby bass".

On to test the USB with iPad

ADP

Glad to hear that your impressions match mine. I often wonder if equipment I rate is "just good enough for me" and not necessarily all that great.

I wonder if the clarity and definition of the sound, which are obviously points in the amp's favour, are mistaken for a lack of bass.

Elantric

This is getting better by the minute.

Here is what I'm experiencing with the Vox VXII 

* True 24 bit Audio USB Class Compliant operation. This works with an iPad Air and Apple USB Camera Adapter + USB Cable, and I can use Vox VXII as a clean low noise 24 bit USB Class Compliant interface platform for running Positive Grid BIAS FX, Amplitube , Yonac ToneStack, etc

The signal flow is this

It gets better

I can play guitar using the Vox VXII's excellent built in DSP Amp models and FX ( they appear to be Mono Only) , and with the Ipad still connected via USB, I can us the VXII as a 24 bit stereo USB DAC, and feed backing tracks from my iPhone/iPad , play IOS Synths, and hear everything in either the VXII's full range 8" speaker at 30 watts mono, or I can connect stereo headphones, and hear everything in clean 24 bit stereo audio with equivalent performance of my other top 24 bit IOS audio interfaces.

If I launch a MIDI Monitor I see that any time I move VXII's knobs, switches, even selecting patches on the VFS5 remote foot switch - I get unique MIDI SYSEX communication being sent over USB to the iPad  - this means there is a path to use a third party IOS app (MIDI Bridge) to remap VXII's MIDI SYSEX commands into MIDI Patch change commands and / or MIDI CC#  messages  that I can map to control BIAS FX. 

Best $150 I spent in a while.

and I can feed the stereo headphone output from VXII into the stereo Line input on Roland Cube Street EX, and have BIAS FX in 50 watts stereo, with IOS Backing tracks from MusicTubee ( a third party Youtube client that plays in the background with other IOS apps  - perfect for learning songs

Great sound, high dynamic range, comparable performance to my Focusrite iTrack Dock 

This Vox VXII gets lots of things right!

We need to start a campaign for Vox to make a 50 watt stereo version by 2016 Winter NAMM , with expanded MIDI options , and more opportunity for USB reamping using the excellent internal DSP amp modeling.

but this is a lot of utility in a nice small affordable package!

Here the MIDI I/O connection to Vox ToneRoom on iPad

Elantric

Using Meteor Multitrack on iPad and only a USB cable and Apple USB Camera Adapter, Now I'm recording output of Vox VXII  on iPad at 24 bits.  and this is in my commercial industrial shop - Vox designed very good power decoupling.

Its a treat not to suffer long mutes on patch changes.   

aliensporebomb

Emenee Tiger!  I had an Emenee red/black burst guitar but it was basically the same thing!  Oh man, I never thought I'd see another one again - thanks for posting that!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Mpick

Hello,

That's my first post on this forum but I spent a while this year reading a lot on your experiences about iOS audio and MIDI interfaces... Impressive inputs and brain power here !

I was hesitating on getting a better interface than my current Presonus Audiobox that is certainly not a good choice (maybe I have a bad one, but I'm not satisfied with its noise floor and overall reliability. And I get cracks and pops no matter what if I try to use Bias FX on iPad 2 and 3. SO I use Tonestack which I am quite happy with).
The need of a (powered) usb hub is also annoying, as the cables involved are a source of worry for live use.
The trigger was almost pulled on the iRig Pro (for its Windows compatibility and MIDI in -I own a FCB1010 I'd like to use) when I saw this !

I'd be happy to use the pretty good amp sims of the amp, with the foot controller for live use, and I'd like to know what happens if you trigger the VFS5 when in interface mode : nothing ? Does it get out and turn on the modeling again ? Is there a delay ?
If it does stay in interface mode, then your idea of using the VFS5 to change patches on BIAS FX or Tonestack is perfectly realisable and I'd use such a portable and integrated rig (only a usb cable to the iPad ! but no expression pedal -> usb hub and MIDI interface maybe for that part ?)
If it doesn't, then it's still usable to get out of the iPad preset and on the amp modeling...

My goal would be to switch between the interface mode for a special preset on Tonestack and the amp self modeling the rest of time maybe.
And finally to let my FCB1010 (connected to a MIDI/USB interface on a usb hub with the amp, connected to an iPad with MidiBridge) control the amp ? I don't know if this part would be ok, but you showed there was MIDI in/out for the Toneroom connection, there's a chance !

Thanks a lot for all you've got here,

Martin

Elantric

On Vox VXII , once you enter "USB Interface Mode, it remains there, even when pressing the optional VFS5 foot switch.

Essentially duplicates the performance of the new Vox AmplugIO  - its 24 bit audio and sounds as good as my Line-6 SonicPortVX

But  upon each press of switches on VFS5, the MIDI Data transmitted over USB is unique MIDI Sysex stream , would require a third party IOS MIDI message remapper utility to translate the unique MIDI Sysex data into MIDI program change. I've written Vox suggesting they consider a firmware update.

An undocumented feature is that after you connect an iPhone/iPad (+ CCK) via USB, you don't have to change anything on the amp to listen to Audio over USB from the IOS Device.
But the  minor annoyance is if you play iTunes music tracks or YouTube or  Spotify  music streams  they play full volume and it's very difficult to obtain a good mix of Guitar from the VXII's  internal DSP amp tones vs backing tracks sent via USB.

But this might solve this issue of "No volume control when using "USB AUDIO" mode on IOS devices"
Free
Equalizer PRO - Music Player with Volume Booster, Sound Effect and Visualizer Music
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equalizer-pro-music-player-wit/id992044767

In theory , for running Positive Grid BIAS FX, running  iPad+CCK directly to a Powered Hub would allow the VX II to function as 24 bit Audio interface and a KMI Softstep2 work as MIDI footcontroller

Elantric

画期的なモデリング機能によるリアル・サウンドを持った新世代デジタル・アンプ
http://www.digimart.net/magazine/arti...

VOXアンプと言えば「トラッドな」アンプを代表するブランドだが、昨今はデジタル・­アンプにも力を注いでいる。すでに市場にも多く受け入れられ、なおかつコストパフォー­マンスが素晴らしい。サブ・アンプとしてツアーやレコーディングに持ち出すプロ・ミュ­ージシャンも多い。自宅からスタジオまで対応するその実力は折り紙付きと言えるだろう­。そんなVOXが新しく発表したのが、今回ご紹介するVXシリーズだ。多くのモデリン­グ・アンプは、アンプからの出音を解析し、そのトーンをバーチャル・シミュレートして­いるが、このVXシリーズはその解析法を一新している......

===
New generation digital amplifier with a real sound with innovative modeling capabilities
http: //www.digimart.net/magazine/arti ...

Speaking of VOX amplifier it's brand to represent a "trad" amplifier, but recently it has focused also on the digital amplifier. Already more accepted in the market, yet cost performance is great. Bring up as a sub-amplifier to the tour and recording professional musicians often. Its ability to support from home to studio would say that proven. The such VOX announced newly, it's VX series to introduce this time. Many of the modeling amplifier, analyzes the sound output from the amplifier, the tone has been virtual simulate, this VX series is being redesigned its analysis ......

Rob is playing the Vox VX1 & Lee is playing the Vox VX2

Just to clarify, the only difference between the VX1 & the VX1 Special, are the red stripes painted on the front.

The guitars used are the ESP LTD T Type guitar that Rob modded in a video in 2014 & the white Strat that Lee is playing is his '86 American Strat (heavily modded & refinished - the one the Chapman CAP10 was based on).

Hope you enjoyed the video,
Cheers
Rob & Lee

Greetings I'm Rob Chapman, I am a guitarist from Brighton in the UK. I am the frontman and guitarist for Dorje, demonstrator for Andertons Music and I am also the founder/owner of Chapman Guitars.

I love making videos about guitar tuition, demonstration, reviews, and studio things like coffee/pizza and Diablo.

Twitter: twitter.com/robchapmanmusic
Facebook: www.facebook.com/officialrobchapman

Elantric

http://www.voxamps.com/news

VXII is not compatible with OS X 10.11 El Capitan and we advise you not to update your operating system until we update the compatibility chart.

admin

Vox VFS5 Footpedal - feeds a "Window Comparator" voltage sense circuit in the host Vox Amp
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lmv7231.pdf

http://www.whitelamp.com/public/vox_vfs5.html

R1    1K5
R2    470K
R3    36K
R4    10K
R5    5K6
R6    2K7
R7    1K1
R8    510R
R9    100K
R10   470K
R11   470K
R12   10K
R13   610R
R23   470K
R24   220R
R25   330R
R26   10K

C1   1N0
C2   100P
C3   100P
C5   10U, 16V
C6   10U, 16V
C7   22P
C8   10N

D1   ??02 *
D5   Twin LED (common anode)

Q1   K831? C2874? **

IC1  BA033T
IC2  TLC352

*  Any low current silicon diode
   eg. 1N4007
** Any small npn transistor should
   do eg. BC109

HAMERMAN409

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 16, 2017, 02:24:42 PM
Vox VFS5 Footpedal - feeds a "Window Comparator" voltage sense circuit in the host Vox Amp
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lmv7231.pdf

http://www.whitelamp.com/public/vox_vfs5.html

[/i]

I have a Vox VT30 which uses the same footswitch. I like having a LED over each switch so it's easier to see which channel is selected (which is shown on top of the amp but that's not where I want to be looking) so I made my own version that uses a small 8 pin PIC 12F1822 microcontroller to detect the voltage and turn on the appropriate LED. I used bicolor LED's so that you also know if it's a RED bank or GREEN bank patch.

HAMERMAN409

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 17, 2017, 02:14:41 PM
share more details if you can

Sorry for the delay. I was looking for the OrCAD schematic and it turns out I never made one so I had to locate my hand drawn one. Hopefully my chicken scratch is legible, if not let me know and I will translate. Also I cross my zeros (because that's what they taught us in drafting class) so that's what's going on there if you haven't seen that before. :-)