Gr-33 Internal Battery Replacement - Any Advice Appreciated

Started by skeletonpete, May 09, 2015, 08:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeletonpete

Hi -

I'm still currently using GR-33 synths as an integral part of my live rig. I own two which I regularly swap out for performance/rehearsal. As you all know the gear is vintage, but I've invested a lot of time in patch creation and the unit still includes sounds and features that are as valuable to me as anything I've seen/heard in newer Roland guitar synth line.

I'm assuming that based on their age (~ 7-10 years) I will very soon need to deal with replacement of the internal memory batteries on both units. I have sent patch back-ups to my Apple iTouch via Line 6's Mobile MIDI and have them archived on my computer, as well as burned to CD.

I'd like to jump on this potential problem before the "low battery" warning appears at a gig. I do carry both units to all shows just in case of problems, but I'm one for erring on the side of caution when I can forestall an issue.

I've never had the units open, not sure what I will encounter. Not even sure what type of battery is required. Is it buried beneath circuit boards, hard wired, etc. Any pointers to info already online or caveats for this process would be greatly appreciated. Any pictures would be great, I'm a visual learner. 8)

Also, is there anyway of establishing the build date of the GR-33 via its serial number or other markings?

TIA for your assistance and for a great informational resources of this forum.

Pete

FIY - My basic rig:
Variax 600 w/GK3 mounted
POD XTL via VDI cable
GR-33 via GK3
Bose PAS II w/ Tonematch 1
SkeletonPete Blog
"It's Stuff We Like, You Might Too!"
http://www.skeletonpete.com

DF400

I also have a GR-33, and used it extensively for gigging prior to acquiring the GR-55. One fateful day, just before a gig the very thing you are addressing send me into a tail spin - the internal battery died. I ended up taking it to a factory authorized repair location, since I wasn't sure what had happened. Needless to say, I spend well over $100 to replace what I understand is a $3.00 battery. I'm hoping someone here can provide instructions on user battery replacement - since voiding the warranty is no longer an issue.

whippinpost91850

Me too, I haven't had mine out of the case in 2 years.

Elantric

As always if you have zero experience with electronics   - contact
Roland Corporation U.S.
5100 S. Eastern Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90040-2938
Customer Service Tel: (323) 890-3700
---------

Roland GR-33 has an internal CR-2032 Coin cell for memory backup

1 ) Back up any GR-33 custom user patches using a MIDI Sysex capture utility for PC/Mac.

2)  Power on the GR-33 for 1 minute with AC power ( this charges an internal bulk capacitor that will maintain power to the internal RAM during the battery change.

3) Power down, unplug the AC  - wait 1 minute

4) Turn unit upside down, and remove the bottom screws and remove the steel bottom plate.

5) Locate the CR-2032 Battery holder and gently swap the CR-2032 Battery and reassemble

Typical Roland Memory backup CR2032 Battery

skeletonpete

Elantric,

Thanks so much for that incredibly quick reply, AND a photo!!

Even if I encountered the simple battery swap-out scenario on my own the advance power up tip is exactly the kind of thing I would not have been aware of.

I have a stash of 2032's already in the house for other uses.

Rehearsals are today, so this will be my Monday morning project.

Thanks again,
Pete
SkeletonPete Blog

gumtown

Take note of your SYSTEM and setup settings, because they are not saved with the backup patch data (unless you did a complete system backup too). Just to save any disappointment should it 'factory reset'.

If both your GR-33's are setup identical, one can clone it's system setup and patches to the other via 'bulk dump'.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

skeletonpete

Quote from: gumtown on May 09, 2015, 05:31:39 PM
Take note of your SYSTEM and setup settings, because they are not saved with the backup patch data (unless you did a complete system backup too). Just to save any disappointment should it 'factory reset'.

If both your GR-33's are setup identical, one can clone it's system setup and patches to the other via 'bulk dump'.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've regularly used "bulk dump" to "clone" one unit to another if I've made changes at rehearsals, but I'll make sure everything is equal before I attempt any battery replacement on the oldest unit.
SkeletonPete Blog

sunbambino

I also own two 33's and love them mightily and really appreciate this thread.

Elantric's once again stepped forward to help us all.

It's been said before on this board and elsewhere but the 33's sampleset is a winner, many prefer it to the GR55's, the samples have way more presence, the ethnic sets are magnificent and so far I cannot get an EP out of the 55 to come anywhere close to the PANNING RHDS

Live forever GR33 (resuscitated with a 2032)