Roland Mobile Cube

Started by baranger1, September 19, 2008, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baranger1

Ok here is an item that is so cool it threw to the floor in disbelief!
Its Roland's new battery powered Stereo Mobile Cube Amp.
2.5 watts a side driving two 4 inch speakers with low end to make your pants leg shake.
I am not kidding.
It has stereo inputs for guitar or keyboard as well as any audio source.

I first played it on the Keyboard setting using my VG-99 guitar patches and it sounded just like my studio monitors but with a guitar amp quality.
I threw a mic on it and recorded it at my feet and could not believe how it sounded better than my 12 inch speakers guitar amp 4Xs the size.
NO re-EQing!!!!
What goes in comes out. Mind blowing with two 4 inch speakers.

I placed a $99.00 Shure SM-57 mic dead center on the right 4 inch speaker.
That's it and it sounds like a big blues amp!
The Rock stuff is the same . Huge bottom end.

I paid $139.00 shipped and it weighs 5 lbs!.
Direct with the VG-99 is very fine but if you want an "Miked Amp" sound fast and EASY here it is.

Bill Ruppert

http://www.roland.com/products/en/MOBILE_CUBE/index.html
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/295183.html?gclid=CMSkg4mq6ZUCFRKAxgodVVtwfQ

A2theT

Ya, I love stoopid cool products.  I buy stuff all the time.  Wife hasn't divorced me yet.  My latest purchase was a Line6 KB37 and an Acer Aspire in order for me to trigger synth and sample sounds when jamming.  All I need to buy now are two more hands.. lol

Anyway back to the topic at hand....  A few years ago I bought its Predeceasor.  It was a Roland MicroCube for $99.  Great little battery powered amp with COSM amp modeling and runs on double A's.  I highly recommend it too.  Especially for wailing at the end of the dock....  Marshall, Mesa, Fender, Jazz Chorus, and Acoustic models. includes, mic input, mp3 input, delay, chorus, reverb, flanger.  big bang, little buck.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

kneagle

I've been playing a Micro Cube for about 2 years now and can't say enough good things about it. I got it for $85 at a scratch 'n dent sale at Guitar Center, and it also mic's up really nice Perfect for battery powered camping trips.

At the winter NAMM last year, Roland was showing a bunch of new Micro Cube products. I don't remember seeing the keyboard one, but they had a bass amp with 4 of those little bitty speakers that sounded great. They also had a PA system using the same technology that was unbelievable. Also, a new guitar amp with all the modeling, effects, etc., also with 4 of those teeny speakerettes. All reminiscent of the Bose concept with multiple small speakers.

Technology - I love it!!

Ken

Kenmac

Really nice demo Bill. I think this would be great for not only recording but for monitoring as well because, quite honesty, I'm getting tired of using headphones with my VG-99 and this would be a good alternative to that. I noticed on the Roland website that you can also mount this on a mic stand and that's pretty cool and also being able to plug in your MP3 player and play along with that. The only thing that bothers me is the fact it takes 6 AA batteries so if I were to buy this I'd get the optional AC adaptor. I'll have to see if Steves Music or Long & McQuade here in Toronto has them. Thanks for giving me GAS Bill.    ;)
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

A2theT

The Microcube also takes 6 batteries and it lasts really long.  I also bought the Roland A/C adapter for it but it died 3 months in so I just use batteries now.  Anyway, I know that Long and Dongs, Steves, and International Musicland in Ottawa sell the Microcube so I'm sure they'll be selling these new ones.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

HAMERMAN409

I love my Microcube. I am not especially fond of playing through headphones so lately when I want to play late at night I have been running the VG-99 into the line input on the back of my Microcube. I have also used my Microcube for bass, though I am carefull to keep the volume very low.

HAMERMAN409

Quote from: Kenmac on September 20, 2008, 10:36:19 AM
Really nice demo Bill.

What demo are you referring to?

Elantric

The Roland Mobile Cube is a different animal than the Micro Cube

Might be good to read the URl links about it, Mine will be here next week, and I think its a must have item for all VG-99 users.

got mine from an ebay seller in NYC $139 free shipping

Its a full range stereo amp that can be placed on a mic stand. (though some may want to wait for the 6 foot wide version ;)

At sessions you can finally get that natural guitar feedback that never occurs when working only with headphones.  - and you can mix a few stereo streams. and theres a karoake center channel canceller - so you can turn off Robert Plant while learning your Led Zep Riffs
And since its full range - your synth pads and acoustic patches will sparkle.

Buy it and go play Starbucks

Its louder and sounds better than the over priced Cube Street  - but they have a built in special circuit which helps not "woof out" the 4" speakers when doing full drive guitar -I may mod mine to have a subwoofer output. and a DI XLR pass through Output.

I'll make a bracket to put it on the PDS-10 - and mount it above the VG-99

If everyone in your band owned one, you could add 10 years to your hearing.

Kenmac

He originally posted an mp3 of a blues lick he did using the Mobile Cube and a mic. I guess he took it down.  ???
Quote from: HAMERMAN409 on September 26, 2008, 07:18:34 AM
What demo are you referring to?

baranger1

I was going to redo the sample of the Mobile cube miced up to show more musical styles.
I have been very busy and have had no time to re recorded the mighty little amp.
(PS it will woof if pushed but anything that is that small will. It is only 2.5 watts a side,but in your face its big!)
I originally attached a quickly done blues clip to give people an idea of the sound with a mic.
Its the VG-99 Strat/Marshall model.
Mic is a Sure SM-57 ($99) placed in front of right speaker dead on.
I used the Keyboard setting on the Mobile Cube and the same EQ on the VG-99 I use direct.
That is the magic.
No re-EQing and you get the benefit of an Amp in a room sound if you want.
I have a scary feeling it may record better than my Tech 21 power engine amps!
I do know it records much easier with out the re-EQ mess and its the size of a lunch box.

I reattached the original MP3 and will redo it when I get some time.
Right now its just a few Blues riffs to let you hear the amp.
Bill

Kenmac

Well I ended up buying a Mobile Cube at Steve's Music Store here in Toronto today. I bought the adaptor for it as well as I'm not really a big fan of battery powered items. What can I say that Bill hasn't already said? Man, this amp may be small but it sounds very good. I was playing with it for about 3 hours today using the VG-99, my acoustic guitar, a Cort bass and also straight into the amp on the guitar setting with my Tokai Love Rock. The biggest difference I can hear with the VG-99 through this is there's more "air" so to speak. Bill alluded to this as well. Up until now I've been using the VG-99 with headphones but I like this better. This little amp also has two bass ports in it so you get that extra little "oomph" out of it. Also, when I was using the VG-99 with some of the higher gain patches the amp would feed back and it was pretty neat to be able to control the feedback by moving away or getting closer to the amp. You can't do that with headphones.  :) It's also surprisingly loud for its size. I had the volume set around the 9 o'clock position and that was just right. I haven't tried the aux or the mic input yet but I will later. I knew it was small but I was surprised to see in person just *how* small it really was. All in all, I'd say this little amp really is a great addition to the VG-99. I've added a couple of pictures that I took today. You can see the whole set here: http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r227/Netskenmac/Roland%20Mobile%20Cube%20Amp/ Thanks for the heads-up on this one Bill.

mikeksu

I just got the Mobile Cube the other day and have been really enjoying it.  Here is my setup, I run my VG-99 into an RC50 and run the RC-50 outputs into the mobile cube inputs.  I put the mobile cube up on a stand and it sounds really amazing.  Having the true stereo field really makes a difference.  I know the amp is only 5W, but keeping the volume at the 9oclock position as another user mentioned really gives a good volume.  Before this amp I was running mono into the return jack on a crate acoustic CA-60D amp which worked good, but not for patches that are in stereo.  I like the other basic uses for this amp as well as it is so portable, just plugging an acoustic guitar straight in sounds great.

Does anyone know how it is best to balance the master volumes of all 3 pieces of gear (i.e. how much vg99 volume to the rc50, how much rc50 volume to the amp.)  Thanks for any advice.

maxdaddy

I'm thinking about getting one of these but have a question for the guys who already have one....

Would you be able to use this as a personal VG99 monitor in a band situation? I'm the only guitarist. The rest of the band is DI-bass, mic-ed drumkit, keys, vocals.

I use a big 15" bass amp as an amp now, and wonder if anybody has any opinions and experience with the ability of this thing to be heard by me in my area of the stage.

thanks

Elantric

QuoteWould you be able to use this as a personal VG99 monitor in a band situation? I'm the only guitarist. The rest of the band is DI-bass, mic-ed drumkit, keys, vocals.

Doubtful, its loud - but really not enough SPL to keep up with a Rock Drummer at a live gig.

I have played many busking gigs with my Roland Mobile Cube - so much that i actually fatigued and overheated the voicecoils of the original speakers.
This amp uses custom special design Roland speakers  so I had to order a pair of replacement 4" Mobile Cube Speakers direct from Roland US Customer Service, and now I'm back up good as new.
In 2013 Roland released alternate versions in White and a Keyboard version without the COSM Guitar Amp modeling.

I love mine- - but the power button on the side is too easily pressed in during transit, I had many gigs I showed up with a Roland Mobile Cube with dead batteries -   so I have resorted to removing the AA Batteries during transit!   

maxdaddy

I had the same complaint about the Mobile Cube, and it wasn't long before I Gorilla-Glued a little piece of plastic right next to the power button so that it would 'protect' the button when it was in a case or bag. Haven't had a problem with it since!

Elantric

Update -

Ive had my Roland Mobile Cube since 2008. Its versatile and in some situations louder than its big brother - the 2010 Roland Cube Street.

I used the   Roland Mobile Cube for numerous busking events on battery power, and blew its internal speakers too - since replaced,but know Roland uses proprietary speakers and I had to buy these direct from Roland for $32 each - with shipping it was about $75 for parts to replace the blown speakers. (due to too many nights playing outdoors on "11" !!! )

If buying today in 2014  - I would grab an IK Multimedia iLoud instead (far more Watts, SPL and cleaner than Roland Mobile Cube)  - still battery powered and use my iPad with BIAS/JamUpPro for guitar FX/Amp Sim.

jerrycali

Check out the new Roland Cube Street EX by Roland - 2 -25 watt 8inch spkrs and 2 tweeters and lot of features !

aliensporebomb

It looks like the street cube (from what I can tell) is mono only.  Wish it was stereo!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

mrowley

Here's what we are getting good mileage out of for Guitar and Keyboard Setups.
I guess at some point there may be too much signal to cope with but we haven't got that far yet.
http://www.roland.com/products/en/CM-30/

This is not battery powered.....but it does give out 30W per channel in stereo when you hook up 2 together.

jerrycali

I tried the street cube x and it just didn't sound good to me - the bass kept farting out - I was planning on getting two of the 30 watt Roland  personal monitors as I know they sound very good but I just got two  fx 150 speakers from tc electonics - they are 150 watts each and flat response - they sound Great and are loud ! they are only 80 bucks more apiece than the roland personal  monitors and instead of 30 watts you get 150 watts - I have coupled them with my Fishman Loudbox and run the fx 150's in stereo and the fisman in mono ( all three amps )from a mixer and I can do small to med size gigs with just these for the whole PA - pretty high quality sound - for larger gigs I replace the fishman with a QSC 10 and/or jbl 12 inch or 15 inch powered speakers all rated at 1000 watts - cheek out the fx 150 by tc electronics - jc

Elantric

QuoteI tried the street cube x and it just didn't sound good to me - the bass kept farting out

Yes - this is the often heard complaint about the 2014 Roland Cube Street EX
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11600.0