GR-55 Floorboard software crashes a lot

Started by BasV, February 11, 2012, 12:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekrytor

Quote from: BasV on February 20, 2012, 09:55:59 AM
...Wow, you play the stick too ?

@ BasV: Not yet, I actually meant you. For budgetary reasons mainly, I'm still waiting for my stick to show up at a garage sale ;) Good luck, right!

Seriously, I'm a huge Tony Levin and King Crimson fan though. My exposure to the infamous 'Stick' has only been from the envious and well entertained perspective so far. With all the fantastic sounds emanating from the Chapman Stick players, and also the more recent similar instruments from other makers, it's been on my list for a few decades.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

BasV

@tekrytor most 2nd hand stick are first offered on stickist.com and also Emmet Chapman (also active on sticklist) has a 2nd hand supply.
@gumtown it must be a daunting to get and keep software running on those different platforms. I'm
A software designer myself (job) but rarely dealt with 1 package for multiple platforms.
Looks like you alteady the direction for fixing it. Luckily I can use the software to an extens that is certainly has added value so i'm gonna stick (pun intended) with it :-)

Cheers,
Bas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gumtown

Try out the latest mac SL/Lion update of GR-55FloorBoard version 20120221 (21 feb),
linux, windows and mac lion(64) updates have been done, and the mac Tiger (universal32) is following soon.
Fixed the patch name list crash, and reduced some memory consumption.
Seems to run fine on mac Lion.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

Quote from: Deacon Blue on February 16, 2012, 06:42:41 PM
The Floorboard crashes usually only when I make changes in the unit (not the Floorboard) and then ask for a Patch List summary.I use a laptop with Win xp.  It happens once in a while. to be honest, it's not a big deal, just a nuisance. Still, I'm very impressed with it!
Fixed this problem too with the latest update.. :-)

Latest download from here...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BasV

Hi Gumtown,

I installed the newest version and played around with it.
I still have crashes, although there seem to be less of them again.
I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think it typically happens when :
- GR-55 connected by USB
- Not using the floorboard for a couple of minutes (or switching to another app)
- Then, when trying to do a setting, the crash happens.

It's like as if the midi driver gets in to a sort of passive state, having to wakeup again and taking too much time for that.

Cheers,
Bas.

gumtown

There is a known mac problem with Power saver, the mac shuts down the USB port the GR-55 is using, and the editor can not tell that USB port has disappeared.
Try disabling power saver settings.

BasV

Hi Gumtown,

I couldn't find any USB specific power saver settings, so I disabled everything and tried again.
As long as I keep working in the editor, no problem, but if I leave the editor unattended for a few minutes, it happens.
Are there any other ways to do a usb specific setting ?
I could try connecting another usb device (maybe a mouse, i use a bleutooth mouse at the moment), that keeps the usb active....
Anyways, here's the crashlog again.

Cheers,
Bas.

Elantric

Lion appears to have numerous issues with USB peripherals during Wake and Sleep modes.

More here.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3205922?start=0&tstart=0

BasV

Hi Elantric, looks like Lion inherited that then from Snow Leopard, cause that's the os i'm using. I saw lots of complaints and problems from musicians on other forums, so I didn't upgrade to Lion :-)

Cheers,
Bas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BasV

Looks i found a solution :-)
When i have Logic opened, floorboard doesn't crash anymore! I think because of Logic is listening to midi and probably keeps the usb alive.
Happy as a little kid :-)

Cheers,
Bas

jwhitcomb3

Hopefully this provides a clue. I don't have Logic, so it doesn't help me. I've tried changing the energy saver settings, and the crashes have persisted through Snow Leopard and Lion, and on two different computers (MacBook Pro and Mac Mini).

When I'm editing patches I sometimes (gasp) stop editing for a few minutes and play with the patch I'm editing. Then the editor crashes when I try to resume editing. Every time.

Jonathan

highlandsrock

Good tip Bas. I'm running Lion 10.7.4 and the Floorboard Editor kept crashing but by keeping Mainstage open in the background it looks like the problem is solved. Nice one.
Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

BasV

Hi Jonathan,

I guess any daw that can record midi, will do.
You could try Garageband (comes with OSX).

Cheers,
Bas

Cheers,
Bas

highlandsrock

Hello Jonathan

I can recommend getting a copy of Mainstage. In the UK it's only £20.99 ($33.00) to download from the Apple Store and is amazing value for money. The only pain is downloading the 18Gb of sound files that comes with it. With a slow broadband connection it took me getting on for half a day!
Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

Elantric

Philip

Bas, thanks so much for the tip, I love the GR-55 Floorboard now!!
Main gear: Godin Freeway SA with Graph Tech stuff, Telecaster lite ash with Graph Tech stuff, G-Sharp with GK-3a, Ibanez Gio Mikro with GK-Kit-GT, GR-55's (plural), Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Amplitube 3 on Macbook Pro, Line6 POD HD500, 2x FRFR RCF 310A

sixeight

Quote from: Elantric on May 20, 2012, 03:01:23 PM
I'd try it but I'm still on OSX 10.5

I recently updated to Osx 10.6.8 just for getting mainstage. It is very nice. Still use pedalboard as well, but mainstage does give some nice amps with a different character from the roland ones.

Abarrassr07

i just bought a new mac i7 processor. everytime i open the editor it crashes every time. this is the error log. it worked fine with my pos windows vista. any thoughts? thanks uploaded with text edit on mac its all i got

Abarrassr07

wow just read the post about keeping logic open in the  background is on to something. i tried the same thing except with cubase. problem fixed

MoeSnodgrass

For me Floorboard was crashing in Win 7 every few minutes. I changed it to run in Compatibility Mode and now it rarely crashes -- almost never.

Press the Start button and in the field "search for programs and files" type in "compat" press enter and follow instructions for the wizard.

gumtown

The GR-55FloorBoard editor will get an update soon,
currently trying to port it to Android and iPad, a new framework is being released which supports using the same source code to build on windows, mac, linux, android and IoS (iPad).

Be sure to download the most current versions which are prefixed with "beta" in the name, they have a better midi I/O system with less problems (crashes).

mrmidi

Excellent News gumtown I've been hoping there would be an Ipad version one day.
'94 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Plus
Marshall MG100HDFX Half Stack
GR-55

mbenigni

Quotecurrently trying to port it to Android and iPad

Woah, that's major news!  Are you considering a new GUI design to better suit touchscreen, or are you just going to port the existing design?

gumtown

Quote from: mbenigni on June 06, 2013, 06:14:58 AM
Woah, that's major news!  Are you considering a new GUI design to better suit touchscreen, or are you just going to port the existing design?
At first just port the existing design and see where it goes,
looks like it won't support the Roland GR-55's USB port without some special driver magic,
but will support standard class compliant (driverless) USB/midi devices.

Elantric

Quotebut will support standard class compliant (driverless) USB/midi devices.

Id be happy if MIDI I/O was the only communication path between GR-55 and IOS / Android Tablet GR-55 Floorboard Editor.

Just use this $11 USB to MIDI cable to connect the GR-55
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8393.0