GR-55 - COSM steel string guitar patches

Started by jwhitcomb3, February 13, 2011, 01:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhitcomb3

Here are some patches (GR-55 librarian format - zipped) of COSM steel string guitar models. I set up a bank for each model, each set up as follows:

patch 1 -  standard tuning with the CTL pedal toggling between 6 and 12 string version
patch 2 - toggles between open D and open E tunings
patch 3 - toggles between D-Modal and E-Modal tuning (really just D-Modal with a 2 step pitch change assigned to the control pedal).

I had to adjust the volumes of each string to get it to sound natural (you might have to adjust these to suit your setup), and I noticed that the two small bodied models (Martin 000 and Gibson B-25) are much louder than the others, so I notched down the volume on these patches so they are even when I switch.

These models are very sensitive to string buzz/rattle, so I've had to set up my guitar's action higher than for electric guitar settings, which are more forgiving to a little string buzz.

I hope you find these useful!

Jonathan

Elantric

A Toast to Jonathan for posting and sharing the first User GR-55 Patches that I 'm aware of !!

ddlooping

Whoop, whoop!  ;D

I'll try them as soon as I get my GR-55 (any day now). :)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

gumtown

And i have already downloaded them ready to try load 'em into my GR-55...
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stueym

Jonathan

Didn't have long, but I auditioned them all and I think they are going to be staying on my Gr-55.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. 

As more of a player than a tweaker, you probably saved me hours of fiddling.  I find the so many parameter options to tweak, drags me down into some hell holes.

Now if someone will just recreate the Hammond A24 patch from the GR-33 I am set at church for several months  ;D

Stuart

ddlooping

Anyway to hear a recording of these patches, please? :)

jwhitcomb3

Here's a taste. It's the Gibson B-25 model in open E tuning.

-Jonathan

ddlooping

Nice playing and sound, Jonathan, thanks. :)

bubbaguuump

This is sweet! Thanks!!!  ;D Been waiting for some acoustic patches.

PS - You made my night! Love these patches! Sounds pretty damn good.

Manuel

Hi, yesterday I played your acoustic patches thru my computer. Very nice sounding. I'm looking forward to test them with my Carlsbro Acoustic amplifier at the rehersal this evening. Thanks :-)

HAMERMAN409

Don't have my GR-55 yet but thanks in advance for posting anyway.

BTW: Lot's of HFC'ers here. Me, You, Darc and Paults!

mbenigni

stueym

Interesting experience.  I have been using my Brian Moore 21.13 to test the GR-33, and your acoustic patches sounded great.  Tonight I got out my Martin AltX-Midi with the GK3 factory fit.  The G,B,E sound fine, but the E,A,D lower register strings sound really quacky in an almost piezo kinda way.

I wonder could you tell me what guitar/pickup controller do you use for making you patches?  Could be the overtones of the Martin on the GK3 but I was surprised as acoustic patches on the VG-99 for example normally sound even better on the AltX than on the RMC based Brian Moore.

Thanks, just trying to look to what's making the difference.

Stuart

Elantric

QuoteTonight I got out my Martin AltX-Midi with the GK3 factory fit.  The G,B,E sound fine, but the E,A,D lower register strings sound really quacky in an almost piezo kinda way.

Restring your Martin Alt-X  with the GK-3 PU with Nickel Electric Guitar Stings.

Using typical Acoustic Strings (like Phosphor Bronze Acoustic strings) will yield lower output on the wound strings with the GK-3 as the pickup.

stueym

Thanks Elantric.  Will give that a go.  Still would like to know Jonathan what you use as your controller set-up

jwhitcomb3

My controllers are an Axon AIX-101 on a Dean Tonic-S (Strat-scale solid body bolt-on, tunomatic bridge to string-through-body anchors) and a Roland GK-3 mounted on a Hamer Eclipse (LP scale solid body set neck, wrap-around bridge).

kennisrussell

I put together a video of all of the "Acoustic" COSM Models in the GR-55.  I recorded directly out so all the sound is coming straight from the GR-55.  Hopefully this will give anyone wondering a decent overall idea of the acoustic sounds.

jwhitcomb3

Very nice job on the video!

I didn't see a hex magnetic pickup on your guitar, so I assume you use a piezo pickup? I'm wondering if that is why the pick attacks on your demo sound more like, well, more like a piezo pickup. I use a GK-3 and an Axon AX-102, and there is a pronounced difference in the pick attack sounds with my system.

kennisrussell

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on March 07, 2011, 09:52:47 AM
Very nice job on the video!

I didn't see a hex magnetic pickup on your guitar, so I assume you use a piezo pickup? I'm wondering if that is why the pick attacks on your demo sound more like, well, more like a piezo pickup. I use a GK-3 and an Axon AX-102, and there is a pronounced difference in the pick attack sounds with my system.

Thanks, I made some other videos too on youtube.  Yes, my guitar is a Godin XTSA and it has a 13-pin output so I don't need the GK-3.  It is a peizo RMC pickup, eventually I plan on doing a demo of the GK-3 vs the one built into my guitar to see if there is any difference.  You might me right.

jwhitcomb3

6 weeks in and I've taken another stab at these. I thought the originals sounded somewhat brittle, and I also wanted higher levels.

-Jonathan

pauloz

Thanks for the acoustic patches. Very much appreciated, I haven't had my GR-55 very long & haven't got very far into the workings so the sounds you created are really handy to me. Thanks a million.

rocketcity

The J45 and J45 Open D/E sound fantastic with my Carvin Sh475.  I needed the open D/E for Munford and Sons.  Thanks.