GP-10 Rotary Effect. Is it good? Am I missing something?

Started by sbjkd, August 01, 2016, 08:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbjkd

Hi everybody.

Does anybody have a good Rotary speaker patch, or any advice on how to get a good sound from the Rotary effect?

So far, it is underwhelming, but that might be because I'm a complete Noob.

Cheers,
Stephen

Rhcole

I just saw this post.
The rotary in the GP-10 is not very good. I had the same reaction as you. Sorry.

Elantric

QuoteThe rotary in the GP-10 is not very good. I had the same reaction as you. Sorry.
Agreed - Ive never heard a Roland / Boss Rotary effect that topped the old Korg G4's  - which had a Leslie emulation that is far more supreme compared to any example from a Roland / Boss unit.

i hold same opinion of Roland Reverbs ( weak) 

Trivia  - if you have spare room in the studio  - locate a gently used korg 168RC  - These Korg digital Adat digital consoles were over $2K when new in 1995 and still used by many big name Film /Gaming soundtrack creators due to its clean audio and it includes  MIDI controllable Korg stereo FX - including the same Korg G4 DSP Rotary speaker algorithm  - and can be located for $200 used today   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KORG-168RC-SOUNDLINK-DRS-RECORDING-CONSOLE-DIGITAL-MULTI-TRACK-RECORDER-/231899280520?hash=item35fe463488:g:9acAAOSwUdlWg0fH

Other trivia  - the Korg R&D DSP FX algorithms have been re-used in lots of gear for past 20 years from Korg, Yamaha, Vox, Blackstar

But check out Bill Rupperts EHX "Lester G" or "Lester K"  - never heard a Roland box that can duplicate the EHX Lester's  rich cream & grind (warning - lock away your Bank card before listening to clip below - as it is known to cause a severe G.A.S. attack)

carlb

It could definitely use more control over parameters. Rolls-off too much treble, in my opinion. I think the effect designers listened to one "classic" recording, and decided minimalist was adequate.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: Elantric on August 31, 2016, 10:48:50 PM
Trivia  - if you have spare room in the studio  - locate a gently used korg 168RC  - These Korg digital Adat digital consoles were over $2K when new in 1995 and still used by many big name Film /Gaming soundtrack creators due to its clean audio and it includes  MIDI controllable Korg stereo FX - including the same Korg G4 DSP Rotary speaker algorithm  - and can be located for $200 used today   

I had one of those! I bought it on a close-out for well under $1K, and used it to mix several projects. It was a nice piece of gear. The effects, sound quality and routing flexibility made it a winner. It played very nicely with the Korg 1212 I/O PCI card and/or ADATs via the lightpipe connectors.

sbjkd

Hi.
Thanks for your reply re Rotary Effect. I'm disappointed about the Rotary Effect. I had to buy my GP-10 sight unseen because they don't sell them where I live. Even Roland Reps don't have them. Everybody here had to rely on YouTube videos and this forum to hear the GP-10, video, and sound demos. The Rotary effect on GT-100 sounds okay on YouTube. I was hoping that it would be better on GP-10. I have a sample of the sound, would it be too much of an imposition to send you the link and get your advice about how to get the sound?

Everybody's right about Rotary Effects...most are pretty poor. I have an old Dunlop UniVibe (which doesn't sound anything like it), and VL MicroVibe great effect (great effect, but doesn't sound like rotary speaker. The Boss UniVibe isn't even as good as these things...I don't know if using the favour would be better. I'm a noob, and I've only just installed the Boss Tone Studio.

Thanks for you help. People on the Forum have taught me a huge amount. I wouldn't have been able to get set up with speakers and other gear without you. I would have tried it through my amp, got pissed off and sold it without your help. Boss in Sydney told me that they will upgrade the manual and details n the box to advise that guitar amps don't yield the best results.

Thanks again.
Stephen

sbjkd

Hi.
Thanks for your reply re Rotary Effect. I'm disappointed about the Rotary Effect. I had to buy my GP-10 sight unseen because they don't sell them where I live. Even Roland Reps don't have them. Everybody here had to rely on YouTube videos and this forum to hear the GP-10, video, and sound demos. The Rotary effect on GT-100 sounds okay on YouTube. I was hoping that it would be better on GP-10. I have a sample of the sound, would it be too much of an imposition to send you the link and get your advice about how to get the sound?

Everybody's right about Rotary Effects...most are pretty poor. I have an old Dunlop UniVibe (which doesn't sound anything like it), and VL MicroVibe great effect (great effect, but doesn't sound like rotary speaker. The Boss UniVibe isn't even as good as these things...I don't know if using the favour would be better. I'm a noob, and I've only just installed the Boss Tone Studio.

Thanks for you help. People on the Forum have taught me a huge amount. I wouldn't have been able to get set up with speakers and other gear without you. I would have tried it through my amp, got pissed off and sold it without your help. Boss in Sydney told me that they will upgrade the manual and details n the box to advise that guitar amps don't yield the best results.

Thanks again.
Stephen

carlb

I wonder if a slight chorusing along with the rotary effect would help. Just enough to not really be noticeable as chorusing. It would probably help in getting a bit more treble back.

That's one of the types of things to try with the GP-10: experiment with other things that aren't necessarily meant for what you need.

If you really need a great rotary sound, you can loop-in an EHX Lester-G or Lester-K. I do a loop-in to the GP-10 with the EHX Key 9. See the following thread on how to trick the GP-10 into having an effect loop:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18569.0

ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

jwhitcomb3