GR-55 - Pedal Steel guitar ??

Started by musicsingle, April 24, 2011, 12:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicsingle

Does anyone have a good Pedal Steel Patch for the GR-55?  I would greatly appreciate one.

Jim Williams

We all are still trying to get some kind of pedal bend for individual strings but it doesn't seem to be possible. there are some pedal steel PCM sounds that might be useful if you can apply the right playing technique. or you can use a Tele model with a generous amount of reverb and compression. Good luck.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

paults

OK. I finally figured out one way to do it. 

Notes:

My Global GK knob setting is Model Volume.

This particular patch has S1 and S2 turned off.

Playing notes: Pull the pedal back for normal tuning. 

Think of this patch as a "proof of concept". Now, someone improve it.

--
If you have a Global setting for the pedal, it will override the "pedal = PCM pitch bend" in this patch.

The patch has the 2nd string muted for the COSM guitar, with a PCM sound used for JUST the 2nd string.  I assigned the pedal to the PCM sound, to bend the string.  If you would rather have it bend the opposite direction with the pedal movement, it just a matter or editing the pedal assignment.   If the 2nd string is too loud/too quiet compared to the other strings on your guitar, turn the PCM1 channel up/down to match the COSM guitar.  Load the patch in the editor to see how it is set up (and to more easily volume balance string 2 with 1,3,4,5,6)   

You could also do some programming to use CTL or S1/S2 to change which strings are affected by the pedal, or do multi string bends.  It would also be possible to use the other PCM channel for an additional string, with a different bend range (the second string bends up a half step, and the fourth string bends up a whole step, etc).

I used COSM + PCM because there's not a way to mute individual analog strings. HEY ROLAND - add that to the next software update, and we can mix and match analog and COSM sounds per string.

paults

I came up with something that may work for you.  If not, edit it, and post an improved version. 

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3744.msg25342#msg25342

Guitsey

:) Hi paults,
This is my first time on this great forum, and I must say I appreciate your efforts to create a Pedal Steel Patch.  Is it possible to contact me concrning some more details about the Patch ?  Please do.

Thanks in advance.
Guitsey (xlrxyz@hotmail.com)

gumtown

You could post your question here if you wanted to  ;)
There are many experianced eyes and ears here which may be able to help you,
and many others who might like to benefit from some advice from reading solutions posted here.  :)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

TommyJay

Hi all and I hope I am not posting in the wrong place here.  If so my apologies. 

Two things.  First of I am looking for a nice pedal steel guitar patch that will simulate or close to one, a pedal steel that I can use when playing lead (or trying too...lol) for any of the country music done in my local Jam.  I thought when I saw Tone #188 PedalSteel 1 and also Tone #190 PedalSteel 2 that there would have been a nice steel guitar patch.  Anyone have one created or is it possible.  Excuse my ignorance here as I just got my GR-55 a couple of days ago oh and did I mention I just love it and I guess I haven't even come near to touching the iceburg yet....lol

Second thing.  I was originally using a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt with my Line 6 Variax guitar.  That give me all I needed including the built in Smart Harmonizer.  I loved the harmonizer.  Well the Spider amp was getting to heavy for me to carry so I down sized to the small 30 watt and upgraded...haha to the GR-55.  I now have everything....well almost with the GK pickup added to my Variax but the only thing missing is the Smart Harmonizer. 

So do you think there could be a possible firmware upgrade that would include a Harmonizer?

So again two things 1.  a pedal steel guitar patch

and 2.  my dream come through to add a smart Harmonizer.

Thanks and again my apologies from this newbie if I have posted in the wrong area.

TommyJ  :-[

gregjon

Thanks for the Patch. I used to use one like this on my VG8-EX.
This does not work on my GR-55 though.
Is there something I need to turn on my pedal?
No pitch change occurs with the CTL engaged or not.

Thanks for your time !

Gregjon

Fender 50th Anniversary Strat with GK3 pickup.
Godin Freeway SA
Godin Multiac Nylon SA
Fishman Triple Play
GR-55
GR-20
SUGS Selector
RFX Midi Foot Control Pedal
Ipad Air, Apps: Bias, Jam Up Pro, Flying Haggis, Tone Stack, Audiobus, Garage Band,

Elantric

Use the GR-55 Expression Pedal - rock it back and forth to engage the B Bender effect.

gregjon

That was the first thing I tried to do but it did not work.

I may have the expression pedal set to volume and that is locking it out of other functions.

Greg
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat with GK3 pickup.
Godin Freeway SA
Godin Multiac Nylon SA
Fishman Triple Play
GR-55
GR-20
SUGS Selector
RFX Midi Foot Control Pedal
Ipad Air, Apps: Bias, Jam Up Pro, Flying Haggis, Tone Stack, Audiobus, Garage Band,

paults

If you have a Global setting for the pedal, it will override the "pedal = PCM pitch bend" in this patch.

The patch has the 2nd string muted for the COSM guitar, with a PCM sound used for JUST the 2nd string.  I assigned the pedal to the PCM sound, to bend the string.  If you would rather have it bend the opposite direction with the pedal movement, it just a matter or editing the pedal assignment.   If the 2nd string is too loud/too quiet compared to the other strings on your guitar, turn the PCM1 channel up/down to match the COSM guitar.  Load the patch in the editor to see how it is set up (and to more easily volume balance string 2 with 1,3,4,5,6)   

You could also do some programming to use CTL or S1/S2 to change which strings are affected by the pedal, or do multi string bends.  It would also be possible to use the other PCM channel for an additional string, with a different bend range (the second string bends up a half step, and the fourth string bends up a whole step, etc). 

I used COSM + PCM because there's not a way to mute individual analog strings. HEY ROLAND - add that to the next software update, and we can mix and match analog and COSM sounds per string. 

paults

Take a look at the "B Bender" patch I put in Alternative Tunings - it shows a way to do something like this with the GR55.  You likely could tweak the patch to make it do more, since you already have a musical use for something like that.  And, you can change effects/amps and COSM/PCM to make it sound more like pedal steel than strat/tele.  I mention in the thread an approach get it to bend multiple strings at different intervals. 

You could set up a bank of three patches, each one with three different pedal bends of strings, depending on CTL, S1, and S2.

And, of course, please share the results of any experiments!

Elantric

DreamTheory

I want a pedal steel patch, the sort of thing you hear on old country influenced rock form the '70's like "Out on the Weekend" by Neil Young or "California" by Joni Mitchell. Or bands like Poco that used them all the time. Steve Howe from Yes did some really far out stuff with pedal steel ("Going for the One" etc.). I guess a Telecaster patch of some sort, of course played with a glass slide. Anybody got one?
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Elantric

DreamTheory

Here is my version of pedal steel.

- It is intended to be played with a glass slide, neck sitting flat on your lap.
- The lower strings are disabled because they sound too scratchy. The upper strings are smooth.
- It is in open D, you can change the tuning for whatever the song is you are playing
- It uses Pedal Steel 2 PCM tone for the distinctive swell of the pedal steel
- I removed the attack of the PCM in the TVA section because it has a latency that conflicts with the model
- CTL switches you to Pedal Steel 1 which has some higher octave stuff that I think sounds better with the LP model. This has more model in the mix and sounds a bit more compressed. Not as good for leads, but fills out chords
- Lots of compression and reverb of course. Try some Space D for a deeper sound.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

DreamTheory

Thanks guys!

Your suggestions were great - starting with Tele with generous reverb and compression. To avoid spit and sputter from the amp I went with the Full Range model. The PCM pedal steel tones actually add a lovely rich swell, if you attenuate the attack in the TVA section (the PCM attack conflicts with the model due to slight but unpleasant latency). I like the Pedal Steel 2 PCM tone better than Pedal steel 1, which has some high octave overtones. Using a glass slide is necessary! I found the 3 lower strings to be too scratchy, so I sett their vol to 0. Using open tunings makes it possible to slide into chord changes, creating the illusion of foot and knee controls on a pedal steel.

I posted it under Clean Tones (see above)

OK maybe you can't fake Sneaky Pete Kleinow, but this will provide just enough of that sound to soothe a country soul....

TayzGpa

Quote from: Dream_Theory on April 14, 2015, 09:14:14 AM
Thanks guys!

Your suggestions were great - starting with Tele with generous reverb and compression. To avoid spit and sputter from the amp I went with the Full Range model. The PCM pedal steel tones actually add a lovely rich swell, if you attenuate the attack in the TVA section (the PCM attack conflicts with the model due to slight but unpleasant latency). I like the Pedal Steel 2 PCM tone better than Pedal steel 1, which has some high octave overtones. Using a glass slide is necessary! I found the 3 lower strings to be too scratchy, so I sett their vol to 0. Using open tunings makes it possible to slide into chord changes, creating the illusion of foot and knee controls on a pedal steel.

I posted it under Clean Tones (see above)

OK maybe you can't fake Sneaky Pete Kleinow, but this will provide just enough of that sound to soothe a country soul....

Can you post an mp3 or maybe a GR55 file?  I would be interested in hearing it, but cant play a midi file.
Thanks

plexified

Here is a couple of good examples regarding HOW the Pedal Steel guys 'think' and use the console including : Tunings, Pedals, Knees and Soloing.  I found it very helpful to view, what your trying to accomplish through the eyes of the Steel Player. Believe it or not, having such a 'fixed' instrument led them to try to think outside the 'console' , being fixed. So many tunings are used, hence two common necks and many different styles.

https://makingmusicmag.com/how-pedal-steel-guitar-works/

edit: tuning links :

http://www.buddyemmons.com/TTchart.htm

http://steelc6th.com/tunings.htm

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

mercury1

Here are some cosm only pedal steel patch settings inspired by this video. I use a chromebook so I cannot upload the patch.
Select a cosm guitar , 12str switch-on, direct level=0, shift 1= +4, shift 2= +5, shift 3= +4, shift 4= +6, shift 5= +7, shift 6= +7
Amp=full range, mod=comp, mfx=pitch shifter (switched off)- coarse= -1 , fine= -100, delay time=1ms , low +7, high -3, balance= 100w
Master-Other page- Alt-tuning switch off, type=user, shift 1= +5, shift 2= +5, shift 3= +6, shift 4= +7, shift 5= +7, shift 6= +9
Assign 1- sw-on, alternate tune switch, min=off, max=on, source=exp, mode=moment, act lo=0, act high=127
Assign 2- sw-on, mfx pitch shifter fine, min= -100, max= +100, source=exp, mode=moment, act lo=20, act high=127
Assign 3- sw-on, mfx type switch, min=off, max=on, source=exp, mode=moment, act lo=1, act high=127
Make sure all other ctl,exp,sw,etc are disabled so it wont conflict
What this gives you is an open E major pedal steel tuning in the heel position and changes to the open A major as you move to the toe position but also turns on pitch shifter so you slide up to tune. The transition can be smoothed out with tone and compression settings.
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

plexified

Hey thanks mercury1, that's a great insight.

I'll give it a go. When I get it up to speed I'll post a patch for those interested.

What are some other common chords that the steel players use this technique on ? I've been admiring those tones for some time , but have not really dug in yet. I've watched a few instructional vids that were amazing. These guys have several methods of bending that sound amazing.

mercury1

i think E9 and C6 are the two most common
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

whippinpost91850

Correct. E9 is the common Nashville tuning.   C6 is more jazz oriented