VG-99 - AlienSporeBomb Ambient Tribute!

Started by Smash, May 17, 2013, 08:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Well here's the thing - our man Todd creates these amazing ethereal ambient pads and to be honest - I don't know where to start with them so I thought "I know, I'll take one his patches and try (and I mean try) to add something - anything - to it"

This is based on his Funky Ballad patch and basically after a lot of pfaff all I've managed to add is a load of automation.

COSM B is Telecaster with automated Delay feedback and level, automated 2x2 chorus level and reverb send - all based on dropping input level so as the chord holds (the idea is) the chord "swells" from clean to heavily chorused, delayed and verb'd as inspired a tinsy bit by Jeff Stern. If I've got it right it really should "swell up" as you hold. should....

COSM A is largely left alone apart from automating the filter and resonance - filter drops to zero and resonance maxes out as chord level dies away generating a nice sweep - also reverb send swells as chord starts to die. Oh and I messed with the tunings a bit

EV1 is a/b balance as per Todd's original patch EV2 is overall volume.

A humble tribute to the master and just basically me trying to claw my way back into this synth section  :)

DEMO: https://soundcloud.com/smashmashups/pod-tribute-ambient-patch-vg99

Elantric

Great work everybody!

Its my opinion the best way to learn any gear is to get down in the trenches and examine all parameters and learn how they interact, to build up personal experience and knowledge of the functions of each programmable element.

This should be obvious but, to kick start the above process, its ideal to load a patch you admire from others into the VG-99 Editor and examine all the parameters that were employed in the patch, and then add your own twist to suit your desired need.   

But its true with gear as deep as the VG-99, often the "brilliant patch" you end up creating is a result of pursuing an entirely different tone.

We all have been in the situation of saying to ourselves
"If only I could get back to that great sound I had 30 minutes ago!)   

To prevent that, you must acquire the habit of saving multiple copies of your work in progress, ( using  "File, Safe As" frequently) because often your sound you are currently working on might become a VERY different beast after 2 hours of editing.

rolandvg99

Quote from: Elantric on May 17, 2013, 09:00:57 AM

Amen  8)
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Kevin M

I like it!! A number of you guys create some absolutely stellar patches; this is an art form all its own and what better tool to use than the VG99!

thebrushwithin

Sounds Great! Nothing like the VG99...

aliensporebomb

Oh geez now I'm blushing!  :)  Cool patch too!  I especially like the dynamic automation.  I dug the VG-99 out of its resting place as I'm gigging tomorrow and dumped it onto the unit and packed it back up for the gig - I'll use this tomorrow for sure!

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Elantric on May 17, 2013, 09:00:57 AM
Great work everybody!

Its my opinion the best way to learn any gear is to get down in the trenches and examine all parameters and learn how they interact, to build up personal experience and knowledge of the functions of each programmable element.

This should be obvious but, to kick start the above process, its ideal to load a patch you admire from others into the VG-99 Editor and examine all the parameters that were employed in the patch, and then add your own twist to suit your desired need.   

But its true with gear as deep as the VG-99, often the "brilliant patch" you end up creating is a result of pursuing an entirely different tone.

To prevent that, you must acquire the habit of saving multiple copies of your work in progress, ( using  "File, Safe As" frequently) because often your sound you are currently working on might become a VERY different beast after 2 hours of editing.

I literally have dozens of variations of certain patches and try to improve existing ones all of the time.  I also try to have multiple new ones every time I gig or at least improve the existing.  I have a big respository of stuff saved.

aliensporebomb

Just wanted to drop a line and say I've been playing with this one more and more and it is definetely best utilized with the FC-300.  This is definetely getting used during my next ambient gig (early July it appears) because it's got a really nice almost Eno-esque shimmer once you put pedal A forward after doing that initial glassy chord thing.  Bravo and thanks again!

aliensporebomb

Update:  I tried this patch on a different guitar with a GK3 on it and the pedal shimmer effect sounds completely, utterly, amazingly different. 

It sounds like Richard Barbieri in early Porcupine Tree. 

In the percussion demo I did here:
https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb/vg-99-patch-demo-various-drum

At 1:15 I start with the Deep Space patch and switch to the Ambient Tribute at 1:18-ish and go from the delayed guitar to the shimmer overtone at 1:22-ish and from then on where it sounds like Richard Barbieri it's this patch on a GK3 guitar.  I finally fade it out around 2:58 - but it's perfect for the "Sky Moves Sideways" drone.

Cool and unexpected because on my GK2A guitar it sounds more like an Eno harmonized string pad.

Toby Krebs

I don't have a VG99 but I dig what you guys do with it. Totally unique music/art made with the guitar! I would rather program my GR55 for two hours than give one of my tube amps a cap job and tubes /rebias. Not missing that stuff at all. VG99/GR55 let you create in a very personal way and PLAY PLAY PLAY!!! Onward ever onward!