VG-99 DISCONTINUED by Roland

Started by Gatormike, November 01, 2009, 09:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gatormike

Hello.  I apologize in advance as I usually do not like speculative posts.  However, I noticed that the last American Musical Supply catalog that I received shows the VG-99 as a "Close-Out."  As the VG-99 is my first and only Roland "V" product, I am not familiar with product life cycles.  Does the "close-out" status mean a new model is soon to be announced?  Maybe Winter NAMM?  Does that mean us VG-99 users are likely never to see another firmware upgrade?  Just curious if any long-term V users here have been able to divine anything along these lines.  I'm finally feeling like I have a pretty darn good grasp on my VG-99 and I sure don't want to get hit with a new case of GAS early in 2010!   ;)

Peace all.  Mike

Rhcole

It implies to me that the VG is on its way out. A number of us have suspected this due to Roland's silence around the product.

It must not have sold all that well.

I personally wouldn't expect a follow-on product anytime soon in this difficult economy.

Paresh

Why have we been doing all these extensive feature request lists??
paresh

A2theT

Strange, their website is showing it as backorder.  Other sites still showing it as instock and $1399.  Anyway, "why do I care?", I already have mine and love it.!
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

aliensporebomb

No, there will be a follow-on but not anytime soon.

My prediction:  Software update and refreshened exterior appearance similar to when the
Roland VS840 8-track recorder got expansion to "VS-840EX". 

The new ones looked a bit different but under the hood it was different software and lots
more new COSM models to play with.  I still use that thing today even though it's old. 

Guitar Center was recently blowing the VG99 out at $1299 but not really marked as closeout.

And one thought: how many members are there of this board?  Then how many regularly
accessing members are there?   That shows how many are out there and then there are
those musicians who simply DON'T use computers.

Also, the VG has some high profile regular users like Frank Gambale, Adrian Belew, Vernon Reid,
I believe Robert Fripp has one.  People like those tend to show the way and the rest of us
follow later. 

So I guess we will have to wait and see.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

acousticglue

I know Al DiMeola used the older stuff.

clearlight

Quote from:  Elantric
Don't plan on any new firmware announcements until next July.

:O    are you serious?? that seems wayy in the future.....
My Music
My Band Website
GUITARS: 2x RG1521, 3x RG321 w/gk, Rg721 Fretless Modified, AmStd FatStrat w/gk, various others....
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7
VGUITAR Stuff: VG99, FC300, RC5-

A2theT

Well, I bought my VG-99 two years ago so whats another 7 or 8 months ...?
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

aliensporebomb

Quote from:  Elantric
Don't plan on any new firmware announcements until next July.

Why July?  Do you have any inside info or? 

I figure though it would be a nice summer project.

mos6507

Roland has already taken official suggestions for firmware updates and has all but committed to delivering something substantial.  So unless the global economic meltdown has caused them to give up, I'd say they will follow through.  But it will be at their typical glacial schedule.  And as for future VG units, everyone thought 13-pin was dead right before the VG-99 was released.  So you never know.  There's probably more people using 13-pin now than there was during most of its history, and it's more popular directly in Japan than it is here in the US.  Maybe it isn't translating into a lot of ROI for Roland, but if they stuck with it this long they will probably stick with it in the future.  It just probably won't be at the rate we now come to expect these days (like from Line6).

If you look at the hardware, it's still very cutting edge.  But if Roland had merely stuck USB 2 on the VG-99 instead of USB 1 I think the base hardware would have had more of a shelf-life via firmware updates.  As it is, not being able to record individual strings is a significant bottleneck on a unit that otherwise has very few bottlenecks.  The other issue is the granularity of the touch strip, D-beam, and CC inputs.  If these are limited by A-D capture hardware to 7-bit quantization then you'll never hear stair-step-free virtual whammy.

Those are my two biggest pet peeves.  Everything else (like mapping expression pedals to individual strings rather than transitioning between two alternate tunings) can in theory be handled via firmware.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

A2theT

Moss, you bring up some good points. What gives you the indication that we will see an improved firmware from Roland?
My opinion is this, yes 13 pin works and theres legacy gear out there using it but USB is where its at.  Companies are already offeirng and selling USB guitars.
So in my mind, it would only be logical that Roland develop a new GK-4 that connects to the VG-100 via USB2.  The GK-4 should be a usb interface and not a 13 pin job.  That said, I'm not a hardware or software person and have no experience as to whether USB technology is feasible in this situation so they should just cut to the chase and make the GK-4 wireless like my kids Wii motion controller.
HEAVY on the METAL

vanceg

Just from the pattern of other Roland products, including the VG-8 and 88, my SUSPICION is that they will release a VG-99ex version at NAMM this year.  This is speculation but knowing that it's been three years since the VG-99 was released, SOME indications are that retailers are thinking of the VG-99 as coming to it's end of life (switching to a EX version would be considered a new product).  I suspect that EX version won't have any new hardware and would include some software changes...perhaps the Poly effects that are included with the V-Bass, maybe new models and some of the easy changes that have been suggested by this group in the past. 

Speculation, all....but,I believe, well founded.

One thing's for sure - I will post any information I learn at NAMM as soon as I can from the show floor.

Vance

Quote from: mos6507 on November 14, 2009, 08:32:23 AM
Roland has already taken official suggestions for firmware updates and has all but committed to delivering something substantial.  So unless the global economic meltdown has caused them to give up, I'd say they will follow through.  But it will be at their typical glacial schedule.  And as for future VG units, everyone thought 13-pin was dead right before the VG-99 was released.  So you never know.  There's probably more people using 13-pin now than there was during most of its history, and it's more popular directly in Japan than it is here in the US.  Maybe it isn't translating into a lot of ROI for Roland, but if they stuck with it this long they will probably stick with it in the future.  It just probably won't be at the rate we now come to expect these days (like from Line6).

If you look at the hardware, it's still very cutting edge.  But if Roland had merely stuck USB 2 on the VG-99 instead of USB 1 I think the base hardware would have had more of a shelf-life via firmware updates.  As it is, not being able to record individual strings is a significant bottleneck on a unit that otherwise has very few bottlenecks.  The other issue is the granularity of the touch strip, D-beam, and CC inputs.  If these are limited by A-D capture hardware to 7-bit quantization then you'll never hear stair-step-free virtual whammy.

Those are my two biggest pet peeves.  Everything else (like mapping expression pedals to individual strings rather than transitioning between two alternate tunings) can in theory be handled via firmware.

admin

I contacted Peter S at Roland US last week, and asked if VG-99 V2 would be released at Winter NAMM.

He replied:

Quote"I don't know about VG-99 - V2 Firmware yet, but my hunch is that it is delayed a bit. "

Paresh wrote>
QuoteWhy have we been doing all these extensive feature request lists??
I welcome any attempt by end users to converse with Roland/Boss Product developers  - no buy I understand there is no positive assurance  they will ever act upon the points detailed in our provided "Wish Lists".     

dead_lizard

A bit=5 or more years in Roland-speak....  :-[

aliensporebomb

Not five - the global economic turmoil  has effected every country and I'm guessing something that might have shown up in January 2010 may now show up late summer.

fredo

Regarding hardware connection between guitar and unit for the next VG family, I don't think that USB is the answer. USB connectors are not at all suited for live use.
We all know that GK cable is not good either (13 wires seriously ?!...).

Roland should really learn from what Gibson did with the Dark Fire : 6 strings digital signal + dc power from one single stereo jack, that's 21st century !

Fredo.

Kevin M

Quote from: fredo on November 15, 2009, 10:40:55 AM
Regarding hardware connection between guitar and unit for the next VG family, I don't think that USB is the answer. USB connectors are not at all suited for live use.
We all know that GK cable is not good either (13 wires seriously ?!...).

Roland should really learn from what Gibson did with the Dark Fire : 6 strings digital signal + dc power from one single stereo jack, that's 21st century !

Fredo.

I hope Roland doesn't eliminate the GK - I have invested a bit of $$ in GK pickups and/or GK-ready guitars!  For the Dark Fire, I thought that it required the RIP box to help create that so-called 21st century accomplishment.

fredo

QuoteI hope Roland doesn't eliminate the GK - I have invested a bit of $$ in GK pickups and/or GK-ready guitars!  For the Dark Fire, I thought that it required the RIP box to help create that so-called 21st century accomplishment.
Actually it does, but the RIP box is only here to perform DA conversion as the signal from the Dark Fire to the RIP box is digital.
If such a system was used on VG gear, signal could stay digital from the guitar to the output of the VG unit.
This would mean moving AD conversion from the VG unit to the guitar / HEX pickup system.
The big advantage of this approach is to avoid analog interference in the guitar cable and allow a simple 3 wire connection between the guitar and the VG unit.

mos6507

I think the GK standard is too established to change.  What I'd really like to see is Keith finish String Port for guitar.  Then just get off the damn hardware treadmill entirely and do everything inside the computer.  Then you don't have to worry about fanout boxes and reamping and all that stuff.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

vanceg

Quote from: mos6507 on November 16, 2009, 06:41:14 AM
I think the GK standard is too established to change.  What I'd really like to see is Keith finish String Port for guitar.  Then just get off the damn hardware treadmill entirely and do everything inside the computer.  Then you don't have to worry about fanout boxes and reamping and all that stuff.

The hardware for StringPort is done - and is working very nicely!  The software designed for Violin is already shipping and the Guitar shouldn't be too far behind. I will most surely keep everyone here up to date on StringPort as much as I possibly can because I totally agree - StringPort will be a game changer for some of us. 

Vance

s0c9

Quote from: mos6507 on November 16, 2009, 06:41:14 AM

Wonderful - for recording, etc.  Doesn't do much for live use tho'.. ??

vanceg

Quote from: s0c9 on November 19, 2009, 06:28:45 AM
Wonderful - for recording, etc.  Doesn't do much for live use tho'.. ??

I plan to be using the Stringport live almost exclusively. It was designed from the very start as a live performance tool...that's one of the reasons it's so very small and light!  Laptop and the Stringport could replace Laptop and VG-99 for some people. I suspect I will use both together live.....

Vance

aliensporebomb

StringPort looks slick as heck.  I like.

baatkarlo

Just spoke to Roland US support - was told that there is no date declared for an updated Windows 8.1 USB MIDI driver for the VG-99 Editor and Librarian. Also that VG-99 was discontinued two or three months ago. So I checked the Roland US website, sure enough, its not in the Guitar Synths and Accessories page. This is bad news for future of VG-99 as patch backups and restores are now only possible on older OS versions both on PCs and Macs.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/category/477
Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play.