Bill Bax's Headphone Amp

Started by Elantric, January 10, 2014, 06:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6604.msg51317#msg51317

Hi,

Don't forget the importance of what's driving your headphones.  A few years back (2006) before shelling out on a pair of Sennheiser HD650's, I decided the best way to appreciate the majestic sound of these headphones, was to design a dedicated headphone amp.

Why have one headphone amp when you can have two

OPA2134 is at the heart of the schematic (LM4562 is another op-amp choice)

Component Overlays

Low Total-Harmonic-Distortion

The project headphone amp's audio quality compared to an integrated amp, or other headphone output is something to experience.  Listening to a pair of HD650's and the project amp is not dissimilar to monitoring 95dB SPL in a quality studio environment.

Full project headphone amp schematics, pcb legends, overlays and component values are available on request.

Regards,

Bill

www.separate-strings.co.uk

Machh_2

Nice !
Maybe i do one this for me...
i liked !

[]´s

Machh

billbax

Hi,

Firstly, thanks to Elantric for posting the project.

For those interested in the cost-effective high quality headphone amp, please download the attached zip file.  The zip includes all the necessary parts needed, and there's even a few hi-res pcb artwork patterns.

In my opinion the headphone amp sounds a lot more powerful than your standard headphones driver - enough to drive a small speaker at 8 ohms!  Listening to the amp can be a bit deceptive at high levels, as the harmonic distortion is very low. With the possibility of damaging your precious hearing, it's probably best to include the dedicated 10-step LED display...so you can see how loud you're monitoring.

Bill