GR-55 - My current set up for recording & live

Started by viramundo, April 30, 2015, 02:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viramundo

Basically I have an jack output straight from the guitar for the nylon sound of my Frame modern classic, electro nylon guitar. (RMC)

The mod sound from the GR55 (in this case bass sounds on the 5th & 6th string only routing out of the Guitar Out jack. I find the guitar out fine for this although I have to process the sound quite a bit to get it sounding right.

The 2 PCM synth sounds on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th strings coming out of the stereo output of thr GR55. I have made different patches using combinations of string pads, electric piano & organ.

In this way all the different sounds can be individually processed, for example putting some compression on the bass helps getting it more even.

I've just recorded a CD using this technique. All the sounds other than drums, percussion & voices were played on the GR55, at one time with no overdubs apart from cleaning up a few false triggers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iJ86pzqq-g&feature=youtube

If anyone wants to try the patches they are basically re routed versions of the patches I uploaded in this thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12516.0

But I have to say I have limited success with patches I've uploaded from others, maybe it's because of the way I've set my GR55 up to suit my guitar, I'm not sure but they usually sound strange for me so I guess it could well be same vice versa.

stratrat

Sounds good. Pretty much what I'm doing with my Carvin NS-1 Nylon (and also I often play with a more latin style - syncopated bass and chords). Bass is usually P-Bass or the nylon model down an octave. More often than not I'm modelling bass on all three bass strings though (I do like my open D chords).

Two questions:
1. Are you mixing the two PCM voices in stereo or hard panning each and treating left and right outputs as two mono outs? I do the former as I suspect some of the stereo PCM voices (especially stereo organs) I use will lose a lot of their charm if hard panned.

Are you using the GR-55's effects much live? Or are you relying more on the desk?

viramundo

Quote from: stratrat on April 30, 2015, 08:11:46 AM
Sounds good. Pretty much what I'm doing with my Carvin NS-1 Nylon (and also I often play with a more latin style - syncopated bass and chords). Bass is usually P-Bass or the nylon model down an octave. More often than not I'm modelling bass on all three bass strings though (I do like my open D chords).

Two questions:
1. Are you mixing the two PCM voices in stereo or hard panning each and treating left and right outputs as two mono outs? I do the former as I suspect some of the stereo PCM voices (especially stereo organs) I use will lose a lot of their charm if hard panned.

Are you using the GR-55's effects much live? Or are you relying more on the desk?

I'm mixing the 2 PCM's in stereo.

I use the GR55 effects as I think they're pretty good for live but for recording I switch them all off as my software effects are better.

The bass that comes out of the guitar out I compress both live & recording.

The D string assigned to bass is useful for some material it's true & I have another patch for that but in general having a bass sounding all the time on all notes played on the 4th string would be a hindrance for me.