GR-55 - Blending in condenser mics to get better acoustic patches

Started by DreamTheory, November 05, 2014, 08:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheory

I have been conducting an unorthodox experiment: blending condenser mics in with GR 55 analog models. I have written about this before, but recently I have returned to the idea and taken it farther. The results have been very pleasing, so I thought I'd tell you guys about it. Is anyone else doing this sort of thing?

The analog models (resonator, sitar, etc.) are well and fine, but to me they sound a little "fake" like they lack overtones and the clicking of the pick on strings. I know it sounds weird, but I tried putting a condenser mic aimed at the spot where the neck joins the body of my guitar, and another one -I almost hate to say this because I know it is against "the rules"- inside the f hole of the semi hollow body on which I have my GK-3 mounted. The outside mic is strummy and zingy and the inside mic is boxy. Various blends sound sort of dulcimer-ish. Just by themselves the mics are admittedly awful (attenuated or "tinny"), but they add exactly what the analog models lack, and the models add the richness that mics on an electric lack.

Of course you can blend in normal pickups. I have the CTL assigned to switch on the 12 string mode, and the footpedal fades in various PCM goodies.The mics and L and R outputs of GR 55 each have their own channel on my mixer, where further EQ and pan etc. can be applied. It sounds more unified if everything is panned the same or close. Everything can be controlled in fine increments to get just the mix you want. I like keeping the GR stuff just under the mic levels, so they the GR serves as an enhancer. If you put in too much normal pickup, it just sounds like a guitar with chorus. Use GR with restraint and you get what sounds like a collection of unique handcrafted acoustic instruments.

Try a short cut capo or alternate tunings. You cannot use the pitch change features when using a mic because obviously only the GR sounds will be altered. Unless you want to have a string always play a certain interval. You can also silence certain strings, so your creation could have something other than 6 string sound. How about those +2 and +3 octaves for a zithery sound?

electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Elantric

QuoteIs anyone else doing this sort of thing?

Sure   - the hurdle is for live use is taming the inevitable feedback if you try to play in a band, since many condenser mics have a relatively wide pickup pattern

"Solo use" or low volume live work  - a condenser mic can work effectively to deliver improved acoustic tone 

And then in the studio, I will typically prefer to mic 100% a real Acoustic Guitar 

DreamTheory

electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

DreamTheory

Feedback could be deadly. And there is quite a bit of hiss and rustling to manage as well. This is probably only good for the studio.

I see what you mean about liking a real acoustic guitar, but I was going for something different, perhaps suggestive of unusual body styles and string arrays. I have not tried a GK on an acoustic guitar yet.

I put this MP3 under sound examples, but here it is anyway

Elantric

Quotemics add in some dynamics missing in the models.

Agreed - thats why on several of my "Grab & Go " Acoustic guitars I use a built in preamp that supports both piezo bridge and internal Sony Condensor mic with anti feedback notch filter - a blend of both sounds the most "real" - but know finding the ideal notch filter settings for the venue requires a sound check!

I get decent results with this
http://www.acmesound.cn/doce/products_detail.asp?product_id=457&tag=

PD FX

well Dream_theory, its very simple, do it virtually with a Fishman Aura.
- assign "COSM guitar" to the "guitar out"
- switch COSM guitar OFF, but it will be output to "guitar out" nevertheless!
- now connect a Fishman Aura to the the "guitar out"
- the signal out out the Aura you put in GK3/2a normal guitar input.
- On the gr55 you can do with the "normal guitar", which is a COSM through a Aura, whatever you like.

If you want to do the same with PCM sounds, it is a bit more complicated. you have to pan a pcm sound to one output, and all other sounds to the other to get the same fx loop. General output is then mono ofcourse.

Hope this was of any help, I can do a demo if you're asking whether it will sound good enough.

greetings,
Paul

DreamTheory

An elegant configuration, and a much better solution than a $25 lapel mic. Thanks!