GR-55 - Steely Dan's Black Cow video with drums from GR55 & utilizing looper

Started by viramundo, October 03, 2014, 04:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viramundo

Here's my solo version of Steely Dan's Black Cow.

Took me a while to get the drum patch to have a playable configuration & it's very unforgiving. I found that  using the top 2 strings only improved the delay/latency thing.

The looper function is usable if you remember to activate it before starting playing, it works best when you don't actually come out of the loop.

The main patch has normal pickup (nylon),
E BASS JB to the 5th & 6th strings with the modelling sound
Dyno EP trim on PCM2 strings 1-4
Soft Pad 2 on PCM1 strings 1-4

Solo done by a .335 sound.

RRhodes

Gr-55 with GK 3 on Ibanez Artcore
JBL Pro series 4341 studio monitors
Behringer B112D's for live stuff

Elantric

Excellent Paul!

Happy to see you have finally dialed in your RMC Piezo / GR-55 rig with excellent results!

OldGuitarDude

papabuss

Just amazing, Paul!  :)
+1
The patch is where....? ;)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

yamahaysg

viramundo

Quote from: Elantric on October 03, 2014, 05:25:57 PM
Excellent Paul!

Happy to see you have finally dialed in your RMC Piezo / GR-55 rig with excellent results!

Thanks, I still struggle with some sounds & often find the best results are with combination sounds that have plenty of the normal or modelled sounds masking the fact that the delay/latency or whatever you call it is still a bit of a problem.
certainly if you compare to say playing a note on a keyboard synth.

But having said that this forum was very helpful in getting the set up as good as it possibly can be & the know how of persons such as yourself in particular.

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

MusicOverGear

viramundo

I'm not sure if this is the right place but here are the patches used if anyone's interested.

Drum kit
1st & 2nd strings only
Uses jazz kit, the full array of sounds aren't available, the way I've got it set up here & I use Patch/other/alt tuning switch On/ user sw on/user shift1 -24, user shift2 -24 in order to get the sounds in positions where you can play hat kick & snare together at the same time with your fingers.

viramundo

Main sound is normal guitar(nylon in my case), JB bass on 5th & 6th strings switched on or off by CTL, Dyno EP trm (Electric piano) PCM2 with soft pad2 strings on PCM1 on the expression pedal

Deus02

Great job.  Myself, having listened to Steely Dan for decades, I find much of their unique sound lies in their somewhat complicated chords and changes, yet, it ultimately all fits together beautifully.  I saw a video recently with Donald Fagen and he just loves playing around with different chord configurations to emit different sounds on his EP and I was wondering how you came up with the chords with such accuracy since, I think, it wouldn't be very easy by just listening to their recordings.

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

viramundo

Quote from: Deus02 on October 06, 2014, 08:40:42 AM
Great job.  Myself, having listened to Steely Dan for decades, I find much of their unique sound lies in their somewhat complicated chords and changes, yet, it ultimately all fits together beautifully.  I saw a video recently with Donald Fagen and he just loves playing around with different chord configurations to emit different sounds on his EP and I was wondering how you came up with the chords with such accuracy since, I think, it wouldn't be very easy by just listening to their recordings.

There's quite a bit of Dan stuff online, IIRC I started with a chart of this I found on the ireal pro forum & changed & adapted voicings to fit with what I could hear.

But I'm quite used to listening to music with complicated changes being a big Jazz & Bossa Nova fan amongst other things. The hard part is to make complicated stuff sound easy.

RRhodes

All 3 patches come up as norm+, etc. (2nd patch guitar, but no bass?)

Am I doing something wrong?

thx

Elantric

QuoteAll 3 patches come up as norm+, etc. (2nd patch guitar, but no bass?)
Am I doing something wrong?

Load these patches using Gumtown's GR-55 Floorboard editor -

For GR-55 patch  "Nor+EPCTL=JB E=S.g5l"

observe the COSM Jazz Bass is only on the Low "E /A strings  - switched on or off by CTL pedal
QuoteMain sound is normal guitar(nylon in my case), JB bass on 5th & 6th strings switched on or off by CTL, Dyno EP trm (Electric piano) PCM2 with soft pad2 strings on PCM1 on the expression pedal

RRhodes

My problem is that ALL 3 patches, while having different names, are all the same???  I see no drums in any pcm's

gumtown

I can confirm all 3 patches are the same one "Norm+EPCtl=JBE=S" but all saved with the different file names.

Nice playing too  :)

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

viramundo

Sorry about those patches, it's the 1st time I've tried to upload patches using the editor & indeed it seems like their all the same.  :-[

Try this for the drums one

viramundo

I forgot to double click the patches to load them on the editor before saving

check out my thread for other patches, I'll double check them now

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12516.0

DreamTheory

Quote from: viramundo on October 06, 2014, 05:04:23 PM
There's quite a bit of Dan stuff online, IIRC I started with a chart of this I found on the ireal pro forum & changed & adapted voicings to fit with what I could hear.

But I'm quite used to listening to music with complicated changes being a big Jazz & Bossa Nova fan amongst other things. The hard part is to make complicated stuff sound easy.

Yeah, you are grabbing some fat chords there (I see that pinky at work). Any chance you would give us a list of tabs?
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008