FC300 - mapping patch changes sysex?

Started by ktat, December 14, 2011, 09:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktat

Hey guys,

Is there any way to map patches so that I could say, step on 86 or 96 on the FC300 and have it switch to patch one?  Can this be achieved in sysex mode, or do you need to program the FC300 from scratch?

Brent Flash

In the unit that you are controlling is where that is usually done, for example the VG-99 has a MIDI MAP that you can tell it to go to patch #1 when you hit #86 or send PC #86.

ktat

Thanks for replying Brent,

I haven't been able to make this work yet. 

Just to be as concise as possible, I want to step on a patch using the FC300 connected to the VG99 with RRC2, and map it to something else without leaving sysex mode.  I thought it'd work using "Receive PC Map" but no luck yet...

Here's a scenario.  I have one main patch that is the first patch of every group of banks on my footcontroller (1 and 6 of every bank.)  It's my main sound and I'm constantly tweaking it a little and refining it.  I also balance all my other patches volumes against it.  Every time I tweak it I have to write it to every damn bank again, which is a pain and inefficient. 

If I could have 1 patch and my controller mapped my life would be much less confusing!

Is this possible, or would I need a different approach?

Thanks!

ktat

Maybe Receive PC mapping only works with MIDI, not RRC2?  I hope not...

If that's the case, is there a workaround that doesn't involve hours of programming a foot controller?

Brent Flash

Yes, you may be right that the PC MAP does not work in SYSEX MODE. It does work with RRC2 just not in SYSEX or maybe a better way to say it is I cannot get it to work in SYSEX. You may want to read this thread: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1377.0
The PC MAP does work in STANDARD MODE and there are other advantages for live use I talk about in that thread. Maybe you can use both modes like I do.

ktat

Thanks  again Brent, I have to really absorb what's happening in that thread and evaluate whether it's worth it.

No patch mapping in sysex is a pretty big programming oversight, but it is what it is.  I can't complain, I love the VG 99!  If I get this working with either method I'll update...

ktat

Standard mode with the mapping is very easy to use.  Damn shame you can't display the patch name on the controller!