VG-88 - 12 string not functioning

Started by thebrushwithin, January 28, 2015, 08:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebrushwithin

Well, after many years of constant use of my VG88, I have run into a big problem. The 12 string setting is no longer working, nor Nashville tuning. As far as I know, all other models are working. Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong?

Elantric

Back up all your VG-88 Patches  and perform a Factory Reset

https://www.rolandus.com/assets/press_media_resources/Factory_Reset.pdf

VG-88 Factory RESET Procedure

Power on while holding PAGE (>) and PAGE (<). Press WRITE twice

Internal memory backup battery dying?

I recall its a CR2032 3.3V Coin cell type

But you typically will get this message in the LCD

"BATTERY LOW"

Memory Backup 501b • This unit contains a battery which powers the unit's memory circuits while the main power is off. When this battery becomes weak, the message shown below will appear in the display. Once you see this message, have the battery replaced with a fresh one as soon as possible to avoid the loss of all data in memory. To have the battery replaced, consult with your retailer, the nearest Roland Service Center, or an authorized Roland distributor, as listed on the "Information" page. "BATTERY LOW

thebrushwithin

Thanks much, I will give all of it a go!

thebrushwithin

Thanks Steve! After I backed up my patches on Veditor, performed the factory reset, then brought back my patches. I then went ahead and changed the battery. So, I plug in a 13 pin, dial up a 12 string, and actually heard a 12 string. Very happy, and so I leave the basement, with the 88, go upstairs, and plug in the sound system, and NO 12 string, and in fact most non standard patches, were sounding like a straight guitar. After 3 trips, back and forth, reprogramming, etc. I had really given up, but thought I would try 1 last thing. I plugged in a different 13 pin guitar, with the same cable, and everything was as it should be. Very happy the 88 is fine, even though it looks like one of my 13 pins is in trouble. Thanks for your help!