Zoom MS-100BT

Started by Zoppe, April 04, 2013, 02:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoppe

seems like a good and smaller alternative...

cell7

Quote from:  Zoppe on April 04, 2013, 02:49:18 AM
seems like a good and smaller alternative...

i have one of these. very good actually, especially the delays etc and the fact that it is full stereo. The limited interface means that you cant really switch sounds mid-gig though...

Elantric

The new small Zoom Bluetooth pedals are compact, but the "G3" remains the sweet spot for cost effectiveness, and functional use.

I thing I paid under $120 for my G3 2 years ago.

The MS-100BT is geared towards generating revenue to Zoom, as they try to sell you "effects upgrades" via the Apple App store.

They are following the example set by Amplitube IOS and GuitarRig IOS.
   http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-100bt

(Yawn)

Wake me when they are doing full low latency wireless Audio I/O to a companion iPad recording app.

Zoppe

i can't decide between the g3 and the ms-100bt... i liked the sounds of the g3, but still, it's a little big... the ms-100 got many of the filters/fx that i want to control externally.... i can't decide...

cell7

Quote from:  Elantric on April 04, 2013, 09:32:49 AM
The new small Zoom Bluetooth pedals are compact, but the "G3" remains the sweet spot for cost effectiveness, and functional use.

I thing I paid under $120 for my G3 2 years ago.

The MS-100BT is geared towards generating revenue to Zoom, as they try to sell you "effects upgrades" via the Apple App store.
Wake me when they are doing full low latency wireless Audio I/O to a companion iPad recording app.

that was my initial assessment aswell, however the full stereo path and the fact that the ms100bt comes loaded with [all 100 or so] of the effects of the g3 already... i havent downloaded anything yet from the store, but i COULD. The control possibilities arent there, but the sounds are. Also, in EU the ms100bt is cheaper than the g3 by about 25%. Im surprised how much i use it to be honest. I throw it in the gigbag and it runs of 2xAA batteries for a good 5 hours.

Ringleader

Love my G3 and it is the heart of my iPad rig. I don't really love the drives though. But I am hoping that a new Zoom multi-effects gets released at Musikmesse with Bluetooth, class compliant audio interface, mic input, and a routable effects loop. That would be the be all end all for me.

Zoppe

Quote from:  cell7 on April 05, 2013, 06:02:35 AM
that was my initial assessment aswell, however the full stereo path and the fact that the ms100bt comes loaded with [all 100 or so] of the effects of the g3 already... i havent downloaded anything yet from the store, but i COULD. The control possibilities arent there, but the sounds are. Also, in EU the ms100bt is cheaper than the g3 by about 25%. Im surprised how much i use it to be honest. I throw it in the gigbag and it runs of 2xAA batteries for a good 5 hours.

That's what i noticed in the videos... it sounds just like the g3, but smaller... it's hard to choose, but i lean towards the smaller one... i only plan to use it for the fx/filters, i liked the possibilities...

cell7

FYI - Zoom has finally updated the BT stompshare app and a whole bunch of the new MS70cr effects are now in there for free [flerb, the strymons, timefactor, m9 particle verb etc] along with a collection of bass amps and compressors. Did i mention the new FX and amps are currently free? Good time to pick one of these up if you can find one cheaply.

Elantric

Thanks! yes i noticed the updates at http://www.zoom.co.jp

http://www.zoom.co.jp/news/article/671

The latest version of StompShare(ver.1.0.4.29) has been released.
Changes are as follows:

1. Added free 20 amp / effect models.
2. Added "Bass" category.
3. Added function to delete loaded effects from a pedal.
4. Closed Amp/Effects 50% off promotion. (*)

* As of March 6, Amps are sold at US$3.99 / €3.59 and Effects are sold at US$1.99 / €1.79.

mbenigni

Damn, I wish I'd read this yesterday.  I came pretty close to buying one of the Multistomps, but I got tripped up trying to decide which one.  Zoom doesn't do themselves any favors by marketing products with so much overlap and leaving the pros and cons so vague.  I couldn't, for instance, figure out which effects were included and which were an upcharge (or how much) in the BT, and I couldn't figure out whether the 70CDR was supposed to sound appreciably better than the BT (or 50G) for the effects that they both provide.  Considering the price of the CDR, you'd assume so.

Also, I was reading a lot of reviews on the iStomps around the same time, and a lot of people were saying the MultiStomps, though more feature-rich, didn't sound nearly as good.  That was probably just people trying to justify the expense of their iStomps, but it spooked me, since IMO the iStomp is useful, but not especially great-sounding.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger on a Mooer Mod Factory yesterday.  Should be sufficient for the tiny (pedaltrain nano) board I'm using right now.  But I remain curious... cell7 do you have a link to a page breaking down those free BT effects?

cell7

Quote from: mbenigni on March 18, 2014, 09:24:06 AM
I couldn't figure out whether the 70CDR was supposed to sound appreciably better than the BT (or 50G) for the effects that they both provide.  Considering the price of the CDR, you'd assume so.
cell7 do you have a link to a page breaking down those free BT effects?

I think the effects are the same [same code anyway, and i imagine the hardware is the same also], the amps perhaps not. I dont use the amps though so im not an expert on this.

In terms of a list of effects:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-100bt/spec/

These are the effects that come built in: all free. On top of this, you can download the specialized additional amps and FX via the stompshare app. Most effects are 1.99 each [some are free], amps at 4.49 or so. Take my advice and ignore the amps! Use it as an effect box.

I think the easiest way to find out what is available and at what price is to simply download the zoom stompshare app :)

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id567649359

You dont actually need the pedal to have a look through it and play the demos. The app is not all that sexy, but it works.

mbenigni

Thanks, cell7!  I'll start doing my homework on these.

Mrchevy

FWIW...I was working on the 4CM with my GT100 and a H&K Tubemeister 18 I picked up recently. It took a while but I finally started getting it dialed in. Much as I was starting to like what I was hearing though, I was not able to use it with my amp AND keep it set up with my main rig, GR55 - GT100 - Boomerang 3 out to my mix board and alto powered monitors. I realize it's just a matter of swapping a few cables around but I like things to be set up and leave it alone in the studio. The Tubemeister 18 was meant for a light and small rig to take to jams. I have a Mustang floorboard but its effects are minimal and the effects chain has no effects loop anyway to allow effects before and after the preamp and frankly, it sounds better on it own than running it thru a tube amp (IMO). I started looking at options and wanted to keep it simple and small for my effects with the TM 18. I remembered seeing the Zoom MS-50G at my local "gas" station and started looking at it in more detail. At $99 I started thinking I could run one in the front end of the amp for the "pre" amp effects, and a second one in the amps effects loop for the time based effects. So I picked up 2 and by the way, was pleasantly surprised that for whatever reason, they were priced in the store at $69 each, new in box. It has taken a little trial and error but I,m finally getting them dialed in and am very happy so far with how its working out. With the new 2.01 firmware update, they now have 100 effects and amps each to play with and while there is the usual junk in them, there are a lot of usable and decent effects. And my effects consist of 2 single size stomps and a 2 button switch for the amp. Small, portable and everything I need and then some. The pedals don't have a lot of function via foot control but, I have anything I need to jam with.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

mbenigni

Thanks for the info MrChevy - I'll make a point of listening to an MS50G next time I'm out "getting GAS".  :)

Ringleader

Zoom MS-100bt into a Logidy EPSi (fw version C for cabs) is my new grab and go rig. Love the new effects available in the App Store (super crunch, carbon copy, etc.) - stuff that my G3 didn't have. iOS cab IR apps were giving me too much latency but the EPSi only adds 1.5ms and the latency is imperceptible. When I want to use it with an iPad, I can do zero latency monitoring on the guitar signal with an external audio interface so the 10ms+ latency is finally a thing of the past. It is nice to no longer be tethered to my iPad to use cab IRs. Highly recommend this pedal, especially with an EPSi.

Elantric

I got my MS-100BT
http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-100bt

I must inform that I really like the IOS StompShare App and the good demos that Zoom has provided.

But too bad the "FX/Amp 50% off on sale" ended - I ve already spent around $40 on add-ons via StompShare.
The MS-100BT becomes  a great Stereo Limiter for taming GR-55 patch to patch volume jumps
http://www.zoom.co.jp/news/article/603

or use MS-100BT as a Bass D.I / bass FX unit with the StompShare Addons. 

StompShare is a virtual effect shop app that recreates the effects display area of an instrument shop. This shop includes not only popular types of stomp box effects and rack mount effects, but it also offers guitar amp models and emulations of classic effects that can no longer be found new, for example. You can easily audition and even try effects before buying the ones that you like by connecting an MS-100BT hardware multistomp effector and an iOS device by Bluetooth. Then, you can add purchased effects to your MS-100BT and use them like any other hardware effect. We plan to continue adding even more variety of effects to StompShare in the future.

?Current StompShare provides 71 Effects and 23 Amps, total 94.
-For Bass
22 effects, 9 amps
-For Guitar
49 effects, 14 amps

Features
?Connects easily using Bluetooth
-Use Bluetooth to connect the iOS device and the MS-100BT without cables.

?Zoom in and out on effects
-Double tap, pinch out and pinch in to zoom in and out.

?Select effects by category
-Effects are categorized so you can easily find the ones you want.
5 categories
Dynamics/Filter
Overdrive/Distortion
Amplifiers
Modulation/SFX
Delay/Reverb
-You can also choose to view just the newest releases or all the effects at once.

?Explanations for all effects
-An explanation for each effect includes information about the effect it models and the tones it can create.

?Audition demo sounds
-Listen to demo sounds of every effect in the shop.
-Turn the effect on and off while auditioning it.

?Effect trials
-Write the effect to an MS-100BT pedal and use it to adjust parameters as you try playing with it.
-You can also use the trial effect in combination with other effects already in your unit.

For more information
http://www.zoom.co.jp/

What's New in Version 1.0.4.29
?Released as following function update in March 2014
1. Added "Bass" category.
2. Added function to delete loaded effects from a pedal.

?End of Amplifier/Effects 50% off promotion
Due to the end of Amplifier/Effects promotion, regular prices come into effect on the 6th of March 2014.

?Added free 20 Effects
Added free 20 Effects in total; 1 Bass Effects, 9 Bass Amplifiers and 10 Modulation/Delay/Reverb effects.

cell7

@elantric - have you reviewed the amps much yet? I have really only been playing with the effects [synths, filters, delays etc] which are pretty tasty, but didnt get very far with the amps or distortions. I would be interested to hear which ones you rate.

Elantric

Quotehave you reviewed the amps much yet? I

They have excellent audio demos of all MS-100BT effects in the StompShare App - its a free download and no need to own a MS-100BT to use the Stompshare app and listen to the demos of all FX and Amps.

cell7

Quote from:  Elantric on May 06, 2014, 08:34:10 AM
They have excellent audio demos of all MS-100BT effects in the StompShare App - its a free download and no need to own a MS-100BT to use the Stompshare app and listen to the demos of all FX and Amps.

Understood - and of course I already have the ms100bt and the app.... Just wanted to know your opinion on the amps. Any that you have found to be standout?

Elantric

Finally got time to try the MS-100BT.
Major disappointment - Not recommended!

MS-100BT has Significantly more hiss and noise compared to the MS70CDR -and this is with the pedal in Bypass!

Not going very well actually. I had hoped to replace my dead silent studio quality Line-6 Echo Park Delay pedal with the "more versatile" MS-100BT on my pedal board.

Problem is the MS-100BT even in Bypass , with all effects "off" has tremendous White Noise "Hiss"  - just incredibly bad. Not heard a product with worse background noise in years.
(Why this is never mentioned in Product reviews is a HUGE Annoyance! )
http://www.guitarworld.com/review-zoom-ms-100bt-multistomp-pedal-bluetooth

This might be related to having the Reverb Tail Switch "engaged" - but I hate the user interface - its a classic case of "too many features, too little user controls"  - but the poor noise floor full of white noise makes this MS-100BT pedal a candidate to put in the pile with my other discarded gear to sell on ebay.

But it makes a nice white noise generator  - even my 1981 Zoom 9030 has better audio performance than this noisy MS-100BT
Simply inserting this MS-100BT on my pedal board, and power up, even with this pedal in Bypass Off mode,  I'm presented with a shower of white noise , which becomes much worse when the pedal is engaged. It forces you to buy a separate noise gate pedal to kill the noise generated by the MS-100BT.
I hate noise gates.
I demand FX with high dynamic range lots of headroom and sonic clarity.
This Zoom MS-100BT pedal is miles away from the audio performance of its siblings in the Zoom product line. FWIW I own Zoom G3, G3X, A2.1X, MS-70CDR, and those all have superior audio performance than this hiss generator.

Edit - Traced the Hiss and Noise to the MS-100BT's ability to run multiple FX at once, and opetrate in a mode where the Bypass switch does not provide the "Bypass" function  - but instead only control one of the turned on FX inside the MS-100BT.

Bottom line - MS-100BT = too many sounds, too few controls to make this a usable pedal at the gig .

supernicd

Good to know.  I almost pulled the trigger on one of these during the Sam Ash anniversary sale.  They seem to be on sale again this weekend too, so I'll put my itchy trigger finger to rest.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

Ive arranged an RMA return with SamAsh for a replacement MS-100BT.

Its possible I just got a defective one. Wont have any further updates until 2 more weeks as I must ship my defective one back Florida, then they will ship a new one from florida to california. 

supernicd

I'll be interested to hear whether the replacement solves the noise issue, and if so, what you think of the unit.  I'm going to hold off.  I probably don't really need one - just seemed like such a good deal on a small form factor stereo FX that (assuming it sounded good) you almost couldn't help but find uses for it here and there.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

sixeight

I'm also looking at this FX unit. Biggest problem is that it doesn't seem possible to send program changes to it in any way. Unless that is possible over bluetooth...

Mrchevy

I was going to ask after reading of your disappointment if you though it might just be a defective unit. Awaiting re-evaluation.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones