Kemper Profiling amp- "amp clone" beyond modeling!

Started by RicardoLove, March 02, 2011, 04:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

QuoteGot remote hooked up and worked without a hitch. I set up a Performance bank and it appears to be sending proper MIDI program change . So far so good. I have rehearsal tonight so don't have any more time today, I'll have more time tommorrow night to verify how everything works

It was very nice to just plug in Remote with supplied ethernet cord and have it work. Instead of power cord and 2 MIDI cables.

So jealous!  I've started with the distant early warnings for the Mrs. so I'm prepped to order if and when Kemper makes those expression pedals "visible" to external MIDI gear via CC.

Tonemasterus, that must have been very frustrating after the long wait.  I wish Kemper had managed to get units in the hands of U.S. retailers e.g. Sweetwater.  I think it would have made fulfillment and shipping a little less of a challenge than it has been.  Anyway, glad they're making good with a replacement!

whippinpost91850

Glad to hear. Yes Kemper support is pretty responsive.

whippinpost91850

Mark, Good luck with the Mrs.
I brought mu GR55 home from the rehearsal space and get to spend a couple of hours with it ,the KPA, and the Remote tonight.

Elantric

Curious that Kemper retailers are not selling the Remote separately - but only as part of a new Kemper bundle purchase 

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/kemper-profiler-head-remote-bundle

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Kemper+Profiler+Remote&Go=Search

thebrushwithin

Previously, Kemper had announced it would be this way. If you want a remote only, you must buy direct, for now.

whippinpost91850

Kemper announces in February that the only way to get a Remote separately was direct from there store and stores would only be able to sell them paired with a KPA . With the favorable exchange rate I paid $543 shipped from the Kemper Store

whippinpost91850

Well, I've used the new Kemper Remote on a couple of gigs and here is my current thoughts.

Build quality is excellent the switches feel very robust and the screen is fairly clear on stage. The switching on the new 3.02 software is even faster and the Midi pc's to my Gr55 are very quick. Im having a bit of an adjustment to the new closer arrangement of the effects switches, but love the tuner and tap tempo buttons
I'm not that crazy about the 2 screen views thay give you and hope they will come up with some new options.

It's nice not having a power cable to the front of stage for the Remote
I am currently redoing my old Midi and audiosnake to just have the Remote cable, a MIDI cable back to the GR55, and a powerline either running through the Midi cable or alongside theother 2 cables to power the GR55..I'm trying to illininate any power cords to the front of the stage

In general I like the pedal a lot.I do feel its about $200 too expensive, but I guess you're paying for direct feedback to and from the Kemper
Also when they add the abiity to send MIDI CC's it will add more value to it

mbenigni

QuoteIt's nice not having a power cable to the front of stage for the Remote
I am currently redoing my old Midi and audiosnake to just have the Remote cable, a MIDI cable back to the GR55, and a powerline either running through the Midi cable or alongside theother 2 cables to power the GR55..I'm trying to illininate any power cords to the front of the stage

Yeah, that's always an obsession for me, too, and is the primary reason I haven't just gone the FCB1010+Uno route already.

QuoteIn general I like the pedal a lot.I do feel its about $200 too expensive, but I guess you're paying for direct feedback to and from the Kemper
Also when they add the abiity to send MIDI CC's it will add more value to it

I agree about the price, but it's what the market will bear, I guess.  Until/ unless the MIDI CC support happens, I'll have to vote with my wallet - which is light enough of late anyway - and abstain.  :)

Elantric

QuoteAlso when they add the ability to send MIDI CC's it will add more value to it

Thats my dream as well, but I figure this feature  has the same momentum as a working KPA GUI Editor for Win/PC - i.e. very low priority

mbenigni

QuoteThats my dream as well, but I figure this feature  has the same momentum as a working KPA GUI Editor for Win/PC - i.e. very low priority

Man, I sure hope that isn't true.  It seems like parsing expression pedal movements to MIDI CC Output would be such low hanging fruit - basically some division and concatenation, maybe a couple of new options in the System menu if they want to get fancy.  As things stand they're marketing a $600 footcontroller that leaves many of us in need of... another footcontroller.

Elantric

All there is to know about Kemper MIDI data transmission:

file:///C:/Users/Steve.Steve-HP_HDX18t/Downloads/Kemper%20Profiler%20Reference%20Manual%203.0.pdf
QuoteTransmitting MIDI Commands in Performance Mode
MIDI commands can be triggered and transmitted to up to two external devices, whenever a Slot is loaded in
Performance Mode. Select "MIDI Settings" on page "Slot Settings" and select the MIDI program change numbers
associated with Slots of current Performance. In System menu, navigate to page "Perform Mode: MIDI", and use soft
knobs 1 and 2 to assign a MIDI channel to each of the external devices. Use soft buttons 1 and 2 to determine
whether the corresponding external devices are connected to MIDI OUT or MIDI THRU.
?As soon as you select MIDI THRU to transmit MIDI commands by Slot the Profiler will stop forwarding incoming MIDI
data to MIDI THRU.
For your convenience you could also assign logical names to those two external devices.

Zero mention of transmitting MIDI CC#  = limited options for remote controlling VG-99/GR-55/GP-10(with Raspberry Pi) 

--

Profiler Firmware 3.0.2.10951
This firmware introduces the following new fixes:
User Interface
? fixed: loss of Performance Tempo during Slot change
? changed: parameter "Looper Location" now controlled via soft button instead of soft knob and its
default is "Pre" instead of "Post"
? changed: parameter "Rotation Speed" of Rotary Speaker now controlled via soft button instead of soft
knob. This button can also be used to assign this function to one of Remote's Effect Buttons.
Audio
? fixed: Looper volume anomalies
? fixed: occasional drop of volume when switching Reverb Module
? added: manual selector for Direct Profiles ("No Cabinet") in Profiling mode

whippinpost91850

Mark, Looks like you aare getting ready for the Kemper Remote.
  I just ran into minor/major problem at Gig Saturday night. Was reaching to turn on an effect and caught the Looper with my toe. That was a treat,  so yesterday I cut a piece of hard black foam to slip over the looper button. I don't use a looper live and that ain't gonna happen again.

mbenigni

Good guess.  :D

Realistically, I won't order one for a couple of months yet, since frankly I think Kemper has made a complete hash of this rollout.  But I'd like to know that I've covered the expense if Kemper ever gets their act together.  At the moment they're a) shipping too few units to meet demand, and b) shipping too high a percentage of failing units with no explanation as to why.  All of this seems insane to me at this price point, and after all this time in development.

Re: the problem you had at the gig, that sounds like another option that should be rolled into firmware, i.e. to enable/ disable the looper button.

2 defective kemper profiler remotes

whippinpost91850

I just saw your post on the Kmper site. I agree Kemper pretty much has botched the rollout on the Remote.  Right now I'm with you, they need to issue a difinitive reason for the failures.

There are things and changes I think they will add over time.

But I have to say using the remote with my modified crybaby smokes the FCB1010. It's super easy to program and fast and and quick to setup

mbenigni

QuoteBut I have to say using the remote with my modified crybaby smokes the FCB1010

Yeah, I know I'm coming off extremely negative over there (a bad habit of mine) but it's exactly because I expect great things from the Remote that I'm so frustrated.  We waited so long before the product was even released, then Kemper made it nearly impossible to order the damn thing, then botched the timeline on shipping them, then ran out of them, and now some unknown percentage of them don't work and they won't or can't say why.  That is a straight up clusterf***, and without even mentioning that (IMO) some really fundamental functions aren't addressed as of current f/w.

http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/19953-Here-s-video-of-my-2-remotes-breaking/?postID=219982&s=b0af7e44c65e6c215114c34da71131f84ead21a1#post219982

So yeah, I hate it because I love it LOL.

mbenigni

I see the current est. wait on new orders is 105 days - more than three months!  If you told me that would still be the case in April, back when they "released" the product in, what was it, January? I wouldn't have believed you.   ::)  You're really lucky to have your hands on one - and one that works!!!

whippinpost91850

Pretty much have to agree with you there ;D  And yes I'm keeping my fingers  crossed.
I just remade mt pedal snake with only 1 Midi cable and 1 output cable(to GR55)and the remote cable

mbenigni

QuoteI just remade mt pedal snake with only 1 Midi cable and 1 output cable(to GR55)and the remote cable

Sweet!

Elantric

Kemper Profiler Editor built in Ctrlr
http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/19728-KPAEditor-Community-Project-vst-standalone-win-mac-linux-based-on-http-ctrlr-org/?pageNo=1&s=b0af7e44c65e6c215114c34da71131f84ead21a1

I want to start an Open Community Project for KPA editor via MIDI.
I think we could use ctrlr.org/ API .
The point is to create KPA Editor to control KPA with MIDI (CC,NRPN, SYSEX) for win, macos, linux in standalone and vst versions.
I've started programming with no graphics but it is no problem to add a nice and fancy GUI with CTRLR.
After an hour I have basic stack regulation done(via sysex) :)
You can just simply copy and paste next controllers and buttons - only you have to modify SYSEX message.
In attachment you will find a panel project for KPA.
So lets take this in our hands:)
Cheers!
Info Sectiom:
You have to download Ctrlr for your Os to open the project panel:
Windows 64 and 32
MacOs
Linux
Edit Section:
Big Thanks to Laurent from France (GuyTarero) who added a lot to this project:)

If anyone is interested : here is a panel to upload RIG KIPR file to KPA via MIDI:(yes it is possible:))
dropbox.com/s/b206dzdovtlrsu9/RigUploadToKpa.panel?dl=0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14518.msg103869#msg103869

Elantric

G String ( Kemper) wrote>
Quotethe midi documentation on our website reflects what's available right now. if you believe, specific commands/requests etc. are missing this might either indicate that we have not implemented those or those are not available using the standard midi trio for reasons beyond what we want to discuss. or maybe, you expect things to work in a way which they don't. if you refer to little things, such as a missing parameter you're probably right and you might find those out by trying around as you have successfully before. as you can see, those are all in a more or less consecutive order.
we appreciate this community effort but regrettably we do not have the resources to offer individual technical support at this time. the midi documentation we have is deep and detailed and took a lot of time already.
hth, gs

http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/19728-KPAEditor-Community-Project-vst-standalone-win-mac-linux-based-on-http-ctrlr-org/?pageNo=7&s=b0af7e44c65e6c215114c34da71131f84ead21a1

The new Kemper Remote might gain more interest  if Kemper could just add transmission of MIDI CC# messages to control third party gear -( like our VG-99 / GR-55 Control Assignments)

whippinpost91850

Elantric, thanks for moving this.
I'm still working on getting power to GR55 without power cable plugging in at front of the stage and/or  a remote pedal for the GR control switch

mbenigni

QuoteYeah, I know I'm coming off extremely negative over there (a bad habit of mine) but it's exactly because I expect great things from the Remote that I'm so frustrated.  We waited so long before the product was even released, then Kemper made it nearly impossible to order the damn thing, then botched the timeline on shipping them, then ran out of them, and now some unknown percentage of them don't work and they won't or can't say why.  That is a straight up clusterf***, and without even mentioning that (IMO) some really fundamental functions aren't addressed as of current f/w.

And now (without naming any specific names) I see Kemper reps. taking a certain glib, dismissive tone with customers who are dissatisfied, and the KPA fans on their forum are lashing out at those same customers instead of taking Kemper to task.  I feel like Kemper, having achieved something rather unique with the KPA itself, are a little self-satisfied, a little too OK with being "almost ready for prime time".  As good as the KPA may sound, I've been waiting for the missing piece that will make it usable since the day I bought it.  Things like this get me thinking about just selling the damn thing (again) but I'm trying not to cut off my nose to spite my face, as they say.

whippinpost91850

Have to agree it's been a little strange over there lately. Not to defend Kemper , but might be the sheer frustration they are feeling from the members. But having not yet stated a reason for the problems, I feel they have brought it upon themselves ???

mbenigni

It's just amazing to me that their tone would be anything other than apologetic, in light of the way things have played out.  That's kind of the point (or at least one of them) of having a public presence on the web - to put a good face on things when customers aren't satisfied.  This snarky, "it is what it is" routine - which I've seen several times when feature requests come up as well - is wearing a little thin.

drbill

Quote from: mbenigni on April 14, 2015, 11:28:08 AM
This snarky, "it is what it is" routine - which I've seen several times when feature requests come up as well - is wearing a little thin.

Totally.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP