VG-99 - Pink Floyd - Hey You / patch and mp3 demo

Started by Elantric, February 25, 2008, 11:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Patch for Pink Floyd's tune Hey You. NashVille Tuning.

Brent Flash wrote:>
All Flash patches have the GK-3 volume disabled and is a tone and most have the switches changing the pickups. Keep the GK-3 volume knob (now tone) about half way to start out and adjust from there. Also these patches are not intended to be used with the regular pickups. If you use a mix of GK and regular pickups on any alternate tuning patches they will sound pretty bad. I programed these with the FC-300 but have put some features on the VG-99's control buttons. There is also a tap tempo that controls the delay in some cases on Control 2 on the VG. If you are using the FC-300 with your VG-99 and are using extra switches and CV pedals you will find that there are solo, effects levels, etc. assigned to the external controls. You can look in the editor to see what is what or just experiment to see what happens. If you have any question please feel free to post them. I hope everyone will find these useful.

Brent Flash

I have a new version of this up. I think it is better. I will attach it here.
Most recent patch revision in post #9. An mp3 demo is in the next post.

mos6507

Impressive.

I wonder what else in the Floyd catalog would make for a good showcase?

How about doing One of These Days next?

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

Brent Flash

Thanks! As long as I don't need to come up with a wind sound I don't see a problem with "One of These Days". I have most of the building blocks to start with. it may not be for a couple of weeks though. I am starting other projects that have to get finished. They aren't this fun stuff. I would rather not do them and be writing patches.

Brent Flash

Quote from: mos6507 on April 02, 2008, 07:08:53 PM
Impressive.

I wonder what else in the Floyd catalog would make for a good showcase?

How about doing One of These Days next?

Hey mos6507,

I did not forgot your request for that early Pink Floyd tune. I started working on the patches for "One of These Days" Saturday when I got back from doing a Dr. Hook show (boy did that bring back some memories, some not so good). The patches were a little tricky getting echos and slicers to sync up but not too bad. I have one bass patch that will do both bass parts panned accordingly. (Disclaimer: The tone of this bass patch is no where near the recording because I have not figured out how to pop the strings with the GK pickup to get that tone you get  on a real bass.) I also worked on a synth slicer patch, and an organ patch. I still need to do some synth patches but that will be a breeze. So maybe I'll record it and have it up tomorrow.

I am debating whether or not to post the patches though. Recent posts on this site seem to be in favor of not making it too easy for everyone (something about takers and givers?? I don't know what that is all about. Seems like you defeat the purpose of the VG-99 if you don't share patches. Just MHO) Some posters saying they would rather just hear a demo and try to figure out how to recreate it, while others want the patches. Seems the majority wants the demo and no patches.

On the other hand, I know a substantial number of VG-99 owners never, or should I say, rarely hook their units up to a computer. If I didn't have the editor I would not be inclined to create patches either for fun or for performance. There are just too many parameters to cover, on the unit itself. I would be pressing buttons more than trying out the sound.

So if no one makes patches for those that just want to have fun with the VG their only option is the factory patches. That would be a drag. So maybe I will post them even though I would be going against the grain, so to say. I just won't post them here.

What is your opinion? Should I just put up a demo with no patches and let everyone guess how I did it (and make whoever is interested, beg for information on how I did the demo) or put the patches and the demo up and let everyone have fun doing their own version playing around with them? I don't care one way or the other. It is no skin off my nose if someone has every patch in my library. I don't think it is going to make anyone lazy or (what is the term?) a taker if I put the patches up. But also I would not want to be accused of making it too easy to have fun with the VG-99 either! What do you have to say about it?

Elantric

Please post patches if you'd like to share them.

I feel we have debated this issue pretty well.

We have not changed any policy regarding sharing patches.

We do have a rule that we must treat each other with respect - and not ridicule people.

Bill Ruppert desires to instruct with raw programing tips, rather than share the actual patches. This is his choice, and I respect that.

But every other week one of our members tries to change Bill's decision not to share his VG-99 patches. It often goes a bit too far (via personal messages and public postings) trying to get him to change his mind over over his decision.

We can not tolerate that behavior. But it seems every 2 weeks we get a fresh new batch of members who have no historical perspective, and the process repeats itself once a month.
Thats why I made the post linked below into a sticky.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=762.0

Hopefully new members will read that thread above, and read this thread too:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=483.0

They will see how valuable an asset Bill is to our Forum.

This Forum is here to share information, Patches, DIY tips, and any other piece of information to get the most from the VG-99.
Lets continue this effort and share.

mos6507

Bill's policy is unique.  I don't see anyone else intentionally not sharing patches.  Hopefully Roland will make Bill an offer he can't refuse and they will become part of the official patch-set one day.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

Brent Flash

I recorded Pink Floyd's "One Of These Days" this morning. It is in the Bass Category.