FTP - Confused on setup distance

Started by cj31387, September 08, 2015, 08:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj31387

I read somewhere that all the strings need to be 1mm away from the ftp. But this is impossible because the way the ftp bends some strings will always be way further than 1mm.

I kind of suck with mechanics so i had the guitar shop put it on real quick when i first got it, all he did was adjust the strings real quick so it would fit because it was touching all the strings. I've been meaning to go back and have it fully adjusted but I don't know what to tell the shop. Should I just make sure the closest string to the FTP is 1mm away and not worry about the other strings?

At the moment the ftp plays pretty good but I have the sensitivity on most the strings to 1 very low because they are really close to the strings and some strings even buzz on the FTP pickup because they are too close. When its set up correctly what would be normal sensitivity setting in the software so i could gauge if mines set up right. I'm pretty sure sensitivity of 1 on most strings is wrong.

I have a fender strat from 1998 by the way.

Elantric

There is more to it than simply having 1mm clearance

You must 1st fret all your strings at the highest fret ( 21st, 22nd, 24th), then adjust the FTP PU height so there is 1mm clearance from bottom of strings to top of FTP PU =while you are fretting all strings at the 22nd fret 

cj31387

Does messing up intonation matter? Should my guitar just be a FTP guitar only and not care about intonation? Can you link the best info on setting it up right concerning string adjustment?

shawnb

Intonation is critical - the ftp needs to detect your note info from the frequency.   Intonation off = frequency off = notes off.

The hardware installation guide is here:
http://www.fishman.com/tripleplay/help
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp