TOOBTM - light 12" speaker cab

Started by admin, January 13, 2017, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

It's about the TOOBTM, a 9-10 lbs (4-4.5 kg) guitar speaker loaded with a 12", up to 100 W Neo driver. It will be available in two configurations, open (perfect for jazz and many other genres of music) and ported (with enhanced bass end for rock 'n' roll).

The project is mine so I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have. We have not pressed the button yet to launch into commerce. An €€€€ investment for tooling is required. The amount and direction of thumbs on social media will be our proxy for market research, so do spread the link to your brothers and sisters in arms.

If this was a racing bike weighing 60% less than nearest competitor, we could charge anything. Depending on the business model (yet to be decided on; proposals will be considered) and projected volumes, we will probably end up in the €/$ 350-450 ballpark. For the price of one boutique cabinet you could daisy-chain two of these. Inside, there would be the same Jensen Jet Tornados or Celestion Neo Creambacks.

If you think here's a nice DIY project, feel free to try, as long as you don't sell to others. The design is protected EU wide. There's more than meets the eye. And it all started from the needs of an aging, brokeback amateur jazz guitarist recovering from major surgery. After eight years and three more operations, we are almost there.

http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-amps-gizmos/57403-ultra-light-guitar-speaker-first-announcement.html

whippinpost91850

Very cool concept. I liked it on FaceBook

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25258392/

Pudlefish wrote>

QuoteI wanted to pass on a simple and effective solution for the common problem of amp position/beaming highs in a band context-at least for single speaker amps and cabs.

For example: you put your amp on the floor for increased lows and it sounds good where YOU stand but the mids/highs beams the hell out of people across from you(and you may be suffering the beam from the player across from you).You think he's too loud and he thinks you're too loud,volume war ensues.

You can prop you amp up off the floor aimed at you but now the opposite problem happens,at proper volume you are being beamed with mids/treble by your own amp and now can't hear the other players enough.

Solution...office-style trash can.

Put your amp on the floor and place one of those 10 inch or so diameter trash cans about 10-15 inches away from the speaker's center.These things happen:

* With your amp on floor your lows stay intact and you hear a bit more highs.
* You get a better balance of your own volume vs other's from where you stand
* You are not beaming others since the upper mids & highs are more evenly dispersed
* you sound better to others(previously some hear way too much mids/high end while others hear your tone as more muffled)

That trash can be used to transport stuff like cables,etc..

Beam blockers strike me as too close to the cone,they helped a bit but not much.This is simple and it works.