GR-55 - R & B Horns

Started by concordal, July 14, 2012, 10:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

concordal

Can anyone help with an R & B Horns patch?

There are two related patches on this forum: RnB Saxes and RnB Section2.  They are inside the thread called  Get all the GR-55 Guitar Mode Forum Patches Here!

Both of these patches use separate PCM Tones for strings 1-3 and strings 5-6.  Both patches have one PCM tone set an octave down.  To make them suitable for harmonized horns, I set both PCMs to sound on all six strings and in the same octave.  I also tried setting a fine pitch shift so that the two horns would be a bit more distinct.  Two harmonized saxes on the GR-55 just don't sound realistic to my ear.  The GR-55 sax sounds are amazing, but not when you play a double stop!  Perhaps RnB Saxes and RnB Section2 are best suited to Horn solos (?) as opposed to R&B leads and fills

Attached is a short mp3 clip from Sam and Dave's Band as an example of what I'm trying to build.

For my own fresh attempt I gave up on saxes and experimented with various Brass sounds.  The two best contender tones were 374 Bright TB and 385 Brass 5.  I call the resulting patch "RnB - NOT" which tells you how I feel about the result!  My attempt is attached in the hopes that someone on this forum can suggest how to tweak this patch. Or how to start over if necessary.

Any advice appreciated!

Elantric

Actually each of these patches below already have their own dedicated threads which is the best place for posting questions.

See this area

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=125.0

papabuss

Hi concordal
I'm not at my GR at the moment but I think you can get good results with LEAD 19-2 (FAT BRASS SEC)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

concordal

Hey, papabuss.  Many thanks for the suggestion.

I tried Fat Brass and it sounds real enough but more like a small orchestra than an R & B backup band.  Maybe with some tweaks it would be closer?  If you have any suggestions as to what tweaks to apply I'd be happy to try them out. 

If you have the time to try it out next time you're near your GR-55t, that would be much appreciated!