Roland / Boss - Internal pedal / Wave pedal Tutorial

Started by Elantric, March 01, 2013, 10:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

FWIW - "Wave and Internal Pedal" all date back to the 1995 Boss GT-5

See attached (page 27) -
These early Boss manuals often go into far more details about the Roland philosophy of COSM effects and user controls and how to use them.

Boss GT-1

* "Internal Pedal"   is a "one shot" event that is activated after a predetermined time after the initial patch change event  (when you go to that patch)

* "Wave Pedal"  is a recurring LFO that controls its assigned FX targets in a cyclic manner   

When Roland states: "Assumed Expression Pedal" in the doc below, interpret this not as a physical hardware pedal, but rather as a "Virtual Control Source" for use in your patch.

QuoteWhat's the Wave pedal? What's the Internal pedal?

Search is your friend
VG 99 Wave and  Internal Pedal
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5873.msg40209#msg40209

If you own a VG-8, VG-88, VG-99, GR-55 , GP-10, GX-100, GT-1000, SY-1000- Read the 1996 Boss GT-5 Owners manual 
http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/GT-5_OM.pdf

As in most discipline's the earliest examples of the Roland Documentation goes into far more details on specific Roland features

Or read the latest GT100 manual  - has a good description of the Roland / Boss - Internal pedal  / Wave pedal Tutorial
http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/62306816/GT-100_e03_W.pdf

Singwas

Can anybody describe the purpose of the GR 55 Virtual expression pedal system
(Internal Pedal / Wave Pedal)? I experimented with it, but I cant find out how to use it for my music (classic pop / rock and contemporary Worship). Is this only a "gimmick" to create (very special) sounds, or is there any rock or pop song as an example? Are there any uploaded patches to work with?
GR 55
Godin LGXSA
Roland Testgitarre

imerkat

I view it as a virtual Voltage Controller; very popular with Moog users. It's very useful in electronic music. I have a preset that I use to modulate the LFO parameter to model Iron Ether's Frantabit. I've also used it for that classic trance sound rising Supersaws to stagger the feel. It's also great for changing the ADSR levels on a fly for electro-house riffs.

I guess you can use it to add subtle flavor of nuance on top of a  tremolo or Chorusing effect but if you don't need it, you don't need it.

Elantric

I guess you can use it to add subtle flavor of nuance on top of a  tremolo or Chorusing effect but if you don't need it, you don't need it.

True -

Many factory patches on Roland / Boss  gear employ the "Internal Pedal" - open the patch in an editor and review the Control Assignments for a swift education.

Also the internal pedal that controls a filter envelope after 5 seconds into the new patch can "retrigger" if you step on the patch pedal a 2nd time   

Elantric

Internal Pedal
If SOURCE is set to "INT PEDAL, " the virtual expression pedal will begin operating when started by the specified
trigger (INT PDL TRIGGER), modifying the parameter specified by TARGET.

Reference
For more detailed information on the parameters that can be set using Internal Pedal, refer to "INT PDL TRIGGER (Internal Pedal Trigger)" , "INT PDL TIME (Internal Pedal Time)", and "INT PDL CURVE (Internal Pedal Curve)"

The Boss GT-x Internal Pedal controller can be a powerful tool - its been around since the 1995 Boss GT-5

These videos goes into more details

Brak(E)man

I use the wave pedal assigns a lot ( it's very useful for what I do )
but I haven't figured out what I can do with the internal pedal.
( I understand how it works in theory but not what I could use it for )
If someone could give me an example I'd appreciate it.
I've tried to search for an example but haven't found one.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

Quote from: Brak(E)man on May 10, 2022, 01:21:53 PM
I use the wave pedal assigns a lot ( it's very useful for what I do )
but I haven't figured out what I can do with the internal pedal.
( I understand how it works in theory but not what I could use it for )
If someone could give me an example I'd appreciate it.
I've tried to search for an example but haven't found one.

Internal pedal is on many factory presets

There are ones that evolve into different tones within 20 seconds after engaging the patch

gumtown

Where the Wave pedal is a cyclic oscillating LFO controller,
the Internal pedal is more of a "one shot" event triggered controller,
it can be triggered by a pedal event, patch change event, or EXP pedal relative position.

The internal pedal also has a time variable, which sets the end/length of time after the trigger event,
and using the Assign source mode "moment" will make the controlled parameter gradually change from one "action-Range" (ActRngMin and ActRngMax) to the other Action-Range (if the controlled effect is a pitch/pedal bend, it can do a pitch dive, bending over a certain amount of time period set by the "time" parameter)
With the Assign source Mode set to "Toggle", the controlled parameter will change suddenly for the amount of time which has been set.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

plexified

Example with a Looper :

House Trance Loop is built

Beat on separate track ^ ^ ^ ^

Filter & Volume slowly engaged on EXP Pedal from Heel

At the Full Toe Position ~ Lowest frequencies / Volume,

Exp Switch activated ~ Beat is disengaged

Wave is activated :

It controls the volume rise, filter release to normal and triggers the Beat track Play at the end of its cycle on time.

Return to House Transe Bounce ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ at Volume

Meercat taught me that a while ago, fun stuff !

admin

Glenn describes how he uses the Boss Internal Pedal for triggering FX
Same concept can be used on GT-1, GT-100, GT-1000, GX-100

Go to 9:28, the Hyperspace patch evolves over time - AFTER its been selected by footswitch. The "Internal Pedal "was programed to fade up more mayhem the longer this patch remains engaged

Brak(E)man

Quote from: admin on May 10, 2022, 02:01:05 PM
Internal pedal is on many factory presets

There are ones that evolve into different tones within 20 seconds after engaging the patch

I will have to try to find a patch and see what and how the internal pedal is used for.
(It looks like the internal pedal is left out on the SY-1000 though.)

Quote from: gumtown on May 10, 2022, 02:56:03 PM
Where the Wave pedal is a cyclic oscillating LFO controller,
the Internal pedal is more of a "one shot" event triggered controller,
it can be triggered by a pedal event, patch change event, or EXP pedal relative position.

The internal pedal also has a time variable, which sets the end/length of time after the trigger event,
and using the Assign source mode "moment" will make the controlled parameter gradually change from one "action-Range" (ActRngMin and ActRngMax) to the other Action-Range (if the controlled effect is a pitch/pedal bend, it can do a pitch dive, bending over a certain amount of time period set by the "time" parameter)
With the Assign source Mode set to "Toggle", the controlled parameter will change suddenly for the amount of time which has been set.

Thanx , I understand how it works , like a one shot , half cycle LFO.
The problem I'm having is finding a use for it, I can't seem to visualize an application.
I use the wave pedal a lot (even multiple wave pedal assigns)
but haven't found a patch yet with the internal pedal that I'm aware of.

Quote from: admin on May 10, 2022, 03:22:06 PM
Glenn describes how he uses the Boss Internal Pedal for triggering FX
Same concept can be used on GT-1, GT-100, GT-1000, GX-100

Go to 9:28

I checked it (and the other videos) , can't seem to find what's described or where in the video.
Is it the "hyperspace" function ??  ???

- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

I can see the pitchbending over time (as with the gr300 emulation) being useful fi.
But will I be able to reverse the action ....? Or turn it off again without additional ctls ?
I feel I have been missing out on a potentially important and creative part.
The wave pedal is certainly one very powerful tool, so the internal pedal might be that too.
I guess if I don't find any really good examples I'll have to do the old trial and error.
The boss manual barely explains the essential about both. ( as always)
( check out how the reguitar/resynth are explained in the manuals )

Usually I can conceptualize beforehand what I'd like to do but not with this particular feature.
And I've not found any good examples.
The wave pedal is easy to understand if one previously worked with synths and LFOs.
(apart from guessing exactly what will happen when you add several wave pedal assigns at different rates to the same parameter. It's nothing like having one LFO modulating another LFO)

- Lydia Lunch

hading

I used to have a GR-55 patch where I used it, but I'm not sure I remember the details too well and the use of the internal pedal was more of a workaround than an interesting sonic use.

Nevertheless, it was something like this. I wanted to use the control pedal in momentary mode to do a hold and also engage a different sound to play over the chord. So accomplishing that is a pretty standard application of assigns. The problem was that that alone would then result in the chord being played right at the start with the lead sound when I engaged the pedal. So I put an internal pedal assign on it that decreased the volume of that voice to zero when the pedal was depressed and fairly quickly brought it back up, to give me a little time to get off the chord.

As I recall this worked ... kinda okay. Well enough for my particular use, though not perfectly. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a better way to do it, but that's what I came up with.