Boss GT-100

Started by Bill Ruppert, January 18, 2012, 07:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Quote from: Elantric on January 19, 2012, 10:34:51 AM
Realize that inflation exists big time these days.

I expect the MSRP for GT-100 to be + $799 USD and $625 street

$549 at here
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/boss-gt-100-guitar-multi-effects-pedal/h79855000000000
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Skyze

anyone at the Roland/Boss Booth, can you ask if the GR-55 is going to get the COSM upgrades the GT-100 has??

Elantric

I'll ask - but not expecting a positive answer.

gumtown

And the GT-100 has seemless patch changes where the reverb and delay tails carry through !  :-\  (thinking of the GR-55)

If anyone gets to see a GT-100, can you find out what effects and amp models it has, If the signal chain is still fully routable, and how many effects at once (any more than FX1 & FX2).

Can't wait until the user manual is available for download.

BTW: I have kicked off GT-100FxFloorBoard editor already,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/GT-100FxFloorboard/
it is only a rehashed GT-10 version, sporting the color scheme of the GT-100 display,
the retro 70's "biege and orange" look, just like every piece of 70's furniture, cutains and wall paper had.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Peter Swiadon of Roland US walks thru the GT-100 User Interface

DeRigueur

Quote from: Elantric on January 19, 2012, 04:42:27 PM
I'll ask - but not expecting a positive answer.
I gather the answer was "no"?
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

Jim Williams

I am excited about the GT-100 I think it has some unique possibilities for my rig. At first I thought that Roland was just rehashing products from the past and I believe that they my still be doing just that. The 2 new Strats are are basically the same as their old VG Strat and the Roland ready strat. At a later time in another thread I will offer my opinion but for now I'll get back on topic.

The most important thing I noticed was the 1/8 stereo aux input, this could serve as a input for my GR-55. With the external expression and other pedal options it could serve as a very useful external midi controller if you can assign midi cc numbers to all the pedals and you could get some nice back and forth midi messaging from the GR-55. Now my faith in and amp model improvements is not to high but if they are better all the better. You will be able to send either COSM or regular pickups to the GT-100 this could lead to some very cool possibilities. Imagine when you can combine a GR-55 patch and a GT-100 patch, for example you might have a patch on the GR-55 with your COSM guitar and effects while your natural pickups go to the GT-100. Is this starting to sound VG-99ish? The possibilities don't stop there the GT-100 has an intelligent harmonizer and you could set the mix to 100% effect and it would harmonize with the GR-55 guitar and the stereo possibilities are staggering. Your guitar sound would now have much more effect possibilities and it would be chain-able.  I have thought for a while on this and I'm sure that it will lead to some new threads on using the two units simultaneously. I'm sure there will many guitarists that want to try this but lack the tech know how (thats not a bad thing) to get the two units working together and they will have many questions.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Elantric

aliensporebomb

I've got a patch for my VG-99 that sounds EXACTLY like the patch he set up at 1:27.  Weird.  "Pod Effected" is what I call it but I don't have it uploaded here yet.

Looks like a nice box.  It would be interesting to see how this sounds in person.  Any idea how long the phrase looper is?  I like how reverb and delay tails don't get cutoff with patch changes.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Jim Williams

Now I am a little apprehensive about the GT-100. Firstly all the demos are about effects Alex Hutchins video you can't tell what amp model he is using and he doesn't do anything to show the improved tone or realistic response and feel. In Rob Marcello's demo he just does a high gain shred and and it sounds like every other product demo he has ever done. If you check out the Axe Fx or the rack 11 they are all about amp tone even though they have many great effects as well. I want my next peice of gear to be great and is should be all about the amp tone because that is where creativity starts as a guitar player. When you grab a note and it just sings back to you with no effects that is where you live and thats what makes us think about playing guitar every minute of the day. The only real love in my life has been playing guitar and I need to have the best tone possible. Women have come and gone but the guitar has always been there. So now I am off to research some more.

aliensporebomb

Jim - that's definetely true.  One of the tones I like most on my VG-99 is a lead guitar patch set up to feedback when I hold notes with just a little reverb, nothing weird as far as effects go.  I use that a ton since it's just more fun and more like a real amp. 

In fact, I modeled it by setting up my Mesa Boogie studio preamp's lead tone and copying the settings one by one into the editor and it sure sounds very similar.

But in the GT-100 they claim it's more responsive and high resolution - well, compared to what?  We're going to need one of us here test the thing to see.  If you can't do the controlled feedback like you can with the VG I'm not sure it's for me.

Jim Williams

Now I just caught a new You tube video of Rob Marcello and in his introduction he stated that Boss has 8 new Boss amps that are not models of vintage amps. He went on to say that they were more expressive and dynamic. This leads me to believe that the current amp models are not improved, it is just Roland adding some new toys and a new interface to something they already made. What Roland needs to do is go back to the drawing board and come up with something that is new...Hey Roland we are not that stupid!

I myself Like Roland gear but Don't try to sell me something I already own. I would like to see a new technology that really does the job and will give the feel and response of a real tub amp. I will most likely buy one and settle because of the Stereo aux input in the back panel. Just so I can add some options to my GR-55 rig like I stated in my earlier post This may keep me content until the Next big thing.

Elantric

I myself Like Roland gear but Don't try to sell me something I already own. I would like to see a new technology that really does the job and will give the feel and response of a real tub amp. I will most likely buy one and settle because of the Stereo aux input in the back panel. Just so I can add some options to my GR-55 rig like I stated in my earlier post This may keep me content until the Next big thing.

I would check out the Line 6 HD500 and Fender Mustang Floorboard = these are a clear departure from the the current 2012 Roland COSM amp modeling sound = and both have a Stereo Aux Input. for the GR-55.

Frankly I was underwhelmed by the GT-100, to me it sounded just like an old Boss GT-3. - bit I admit I had a bad cold that day at NAMM, which might have been a factor in forming my opinion, with only a very limited time at the NAMM show.

Bill Ruppert

Peter Swiadon is now a demonstrator?

Elantric

When the VG-99 was first shown at the 2007 NAMM show, Peter S was the only demonstrator.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Elantric on January 25, 2012, 06:26:12 PM
When the VG-99 was first shown at the 2007 NAMM show, Peter S was the only demonstrator.

I seem to remember a blond guy with shoulder length hair but that's not Peter!  Maybe that was 2008 NAMM.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Jim Williams on January 25, 2012, 04:53:56 AM
Now I just caught a new You tube video of Rob Marcello and in his introduction he stated that Boss has 8 new Boss amps that are not models of vintage amps. He went on to say that they were more expressive and dynamic. This leads me to believe that the current amp models are not improved, it is just Roland adding some new toys and a new interface to something they already made. What Roland needs to do is go back to the drawing board and come up with something that is new...Hey Roland we are not that stupid!

Maybe they're thinking people want modern voices amplifiers ala Recto, Matchless, Soldano, 5150 etc.  Maybe they think the vintage market is played out or too hard to emulate and it's easier to emulate an amp that's like a fist in your face than an amp with a lot of dynamics.  And the younger audience is into the modern sound more.  Just a theory.

Jim Williams

I think Roland is moving away from modeling specific amps and coming up with more of the BOSS amps that they started to put in the GT-10 and the GR-55. I think they are trying to sell their sound.

Elantric

QuoteI think Roland is moving away from modeling specific amps and coming up with more of the BOSS amps that they started to put in the GT-10 and the GR-55. I think they are trying to sell their sound.
Agreed.
Too bad "The Roland Sound" seems to currently be stuck in the big hair metal 1980's. When I heard the new GT-100, I felt like I was witnessing a 1996 Boss GT-3 demo. 

I could not get a decent vintage fender / vox/ matchless / warm organic touch sensitive tone with the GT-100. Perhaps with careful patience and determination, those tones might be there - whacky because nice vintage organic tones exist in the Micro BR-80

Elantric

QuoteI seem to remember a blond guy with shoulder length hair but that's not Peter!  Maybe that was 2008 NAMM.

Yes that was Paul Hanson - who was the product demonstrator for the VG-99 at 2008 Winter NAMM.

Elantric

Boss GT-100 Brochure

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/gt-100_brochure.pdf

Specs:
AD Conversion
    24 bits + AF method (*1)
DA Conversion
    24 bits
Sampling Rate
    44.1 kHz
Program Memories
    400: 200 (User) + 200 (Preset)
Effect Type
    COMP, OD/DS, PREAMP, EQ, FX1/FX2(*), DELAY, CHORUS, REVERB, PEDAL FX, NS1/NS2, ACCEL FX

* FX1/FX2 ... T.WAH, AUTO WAH, SUB WAH, ADV. COMP, LIMITER, SUB OD/DS, GRAPHIC EQ, PARA EQ, TONE MODIFY, GUITAR SIM, SLOW GEAR, DEFRETTER, WAVE SYNTH, SITAR SIM., OCTAVE, PITCH SHIFTER, HARMONIST, SOUND HOLD, AC. PROCESSOR, PHASER, FLANGER, TREMOLO, ROTARY, UNI-V, PAN, SLICER, VIBRATO, RING MOD., HUMANIZER, 2X2 CHORUS, SUB DELAY
Nominal Input Level
    INPUT: -10 dBu
    RETURN: -10 dBu
    AUX IN: -20 dBu
Input Impedance
    INPUT: 1 M ohm
    RETURN: 100 k ohms
    AUX IN: 47 k ohms
Nominal Output Level
    OUTPUT: -10 dBu/+4 dBu
    SEND: -10 dBu
Output Impedance
    OUTPUT: 2 k ohms
    SEND: 2 k ohms
Dynamic Range
    100 dB or greater (IHF-A)
Displays
    Graphic LCD (132 x 64 dots, backlit LCD) x 2
Connectors
    INPUT jack (1/4-inch phone type)
    AUX IN jack (Stereo miniature phone type)
    OUTPUT L/MONO, R jacks (1/4-inch phone type)
    PHONES jack (Stereo 1/4-inch phone type)
    EXT LOOP jacks (SEND, RETURN; 1/4-inch phone type)
    AMP CONTROL jack (1/4-inch phone type)
    SUB CTL1, 2/SUB EXP jack (1/4-inch TRS phone type)
    USB port
    MIDI connectors (IN, OUT)
    DC IN jack
Power Supply
    DC 9 V
Current Draw
    600 mA
Accessories
    AC Adaptor
    USB Cap
    Owner's Manual
Options (sold separately)
    Footswitch: BOSS FS-5U
    Dual Footswitch: BOSS FS-6
    Expression Pedal: BOSS FV-500L/500H, Roland EV-5

Size and Weight

Width (W)
    542 mm21-3/8 inches
Depth (D)
    271 mm10-11/16 inches
Height (H)
    80 mm3-3/16 inches
Weight
    4.8 kg10 lbs. 10 oz.

Maximum height ... 102 mm, 4-1/16 inches

*1 AF method (Adaptive Focus method) is a proprietary method from Roland & BOSS that vastly improves the signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio of the A/D and D/A converters.

*0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms

All specifications and appearances are subject to change.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Elantric on January 26, 2012, 01:56:15 PM
Yes that was Paul Hanson - who was the product demonstrator for the VG-99 at 2008 Winter NAMM.

That's him!  Paul Hanson.

gumtown

Elantric

I guess they need 6 weeks to create updated factory presets - lets hope they do a better job this time.
The GT-100 version I heard at NAMM was underwhelming to my ears, and the $549 street price seems about $150 too high, compared to similar products. IMHO the Line 6 HD500 sounds better and has many more features , and lower cost, compared to the GT-100.  But I'm sure some folks will want one

aliensporebomb

It's that "good manufacturing".

Maybe it's just that the Line6 people leverage the power of their products with shrewd programming skill and patch authors who know what they're doing.  The Roland stuff is great hardware for the most part but the internal software and preset programming is kind of the problem.   Line6 also has a market segment much narrower than Roland - guitar modeling, guitar amps, pa systems.  Roland sells everything from guitar boxes to high-res printer/plotters to accordions to drum kits.

And look at the recent offering at NAMM - all new os software to further increase the quality of the sounds.   And Line6 has a user community much like the AxeFX people have. 

Roland hasn't really embraced that except perhaps in the UK.  I suspect it's cultural to some degree especially from Roland Japan.