Impressions of a new Roland VG-8 EX user

Started by Rodrigo Schwarz, November 14, 2017, 01:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodrigo Schwarz

After months of searching, I found an ex-VG-8 used in the Netherlands via Ebay. Here in Brazil, where I live, I found only the VG-8. As the main motivation to acquire the device was the VIO Guitar, I patiently searched until I found an EX model. The device arrived in excellent condition, like new!

When I took the device out of the box, it came to my mind when I was 18 in the mid-1990s and I read in Guitar Player and Guitar World interviews with Reeves Gabrels and Kirk Hammett about the VG-8. At the time, it was out of my reach. The device cost more than $ 4,000 (with import taxes) in Brazil and the idea of ​​putting a hexaphonic pickup on the guitar was something that was not in my head at that time - only in 2013, with the GR-55, i breaked this barrier, which changed my life as a guitar player

Is complicated to compare the VG-8 ex with the GR-55. They are different animals. The VG-8 features a degree of sophistication that the GR-55 does not have. I'm not criticizing the GR-55. It is a device that served as the gateway to the hexaphonic universe for thousands of guitar players - including me. But the VG-8 lets you better explore what has become my focus on the GR-55: the Cosm tones. 99% of the time I play with the GR-55, I do not use the PCM sounds. The inevitable tracking errors that occur with them and their lack of expressiveness make the PCM tones impractical for gigs. I love exploring the cosm tones like sitar, Gr-300, organ and brass. I did dozens of patches with them and found use for them with my band.

In the VG-8 EX, the Cosm universe (and here i am including the VGM and HRM instruments) is bigger and richer. Only the VIO Guitar already justifies buying a VG-8 EX today. Bowed: incredible. Of course he does not sound like a violin, but it is an instrument of great expressiveness and richness, which in a few days has inspired me to compose a lot. Solo, Pipe and Articulated are also winners!

Negative points: the VG-8 EX drawbar is not as good as the GR-55's organ, and it also has no sitar sounds and a decent GR-300 emulation like the GR-55.

Regarding the emulations of guitars models and amplifiers, I still can not make a judgment with propriety. In my ESP Eclipse equipped with the GK-3, most Cosm instruments do not work right because  the output is too low for the VG-8 EX. Even after setting the sensitivity to the maximum levels, I can not get more than 30% power on the first 3 strings. With the GR-55, my Eclipse works spectacularly with the cosm tones, so I do not think it's a GK-3 installation problem. When I used my Godin Multiac, with the VG-8 EX in the Piezo adjustment, I was able to play the Cosm instruments perfectly. But from experience with the GR-55, I do not like to play electric guitars cosm tones and high gain amplifiers cosm tones on a Godin with nylon strings, it's simply not good

I'm now buying a GK 2-A pickup to install on my Eclipse and keep exploring this phenomenal machine which is the VG-8 EX.

GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

chrish

Quote"my ESP Eclipse equipped with the GK-3, most Cosm instruments do not work right because  the output is too low for the VG-8 EX. Even after setting the sensitivity to the maximum levels, I can not get more than 30% power on the first 3 strings."

The first thing to try is to spray an Electronics deoxidizing spray into the GK 13 pin input on the VG 8.  may as well spray the cord GK plugs and GK wart (some would say pimple :) )as well.

And of course check the string height to the hex pickup. Should be 1 mm with the highest fret note pressed for that string.

There is a Vio guitar on the VG 8 itself that came with the S1 upgrade. But it was a good choice going for the EX as I hear that the sampling bit rate is higher then the original and therefore better sound quality.

Rodrigo Schwarz

Thank you, chrish.

I already sprayed the deoxidizing spray into the GK 13 pin input on the VG 8, on the cord GK plugs and GK wart. Dont worked. And I use the same cable with the Godin into the GK 13 pin input on the VG 8 and it works perfectly.

The string height to the hex pickup is ok. That's not the problem, unfortunately.

But I already bought a used GK-2A and in a few days it will be installed on my guitar. I believe I will be able to use the VG-8EX perfectly!

Meanwhile, I'm using the VG-8EX with the Godin and having a lot of fun.
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

Rodrigo Schwarz

I'm already a few months with the Roland VG-8 EX, using it with an ESP Eclipse with a GK-2A pickup and with a Godin Multiac. This is an extremely personal opinion, but I have been enjoying more of the guitar/amps tones of the VG-8 EX than of the tones of GR-55.

Yes, I know the processing power and technology of the GR-55 is more advanced, but the VG-8 EX features better presets. The presets are inspiring, much more exciting and easy to edit for our personal taste. In 1997, Reeves Gabrels complained about the VG-8 presets. I wonder if he heard the GR-55 presets ...  ;D

I seriously think of substituting the GR-55 for the VG-8 EX when I play with my band. I will do an experiment this weekend. In our set, I only use a PCM (Rich Strings) tone once, for a few seconds in the intro of a song. I want to replace it with a wonderful VG-8 EX pad.
A disadvantage is that it is not possible to process the sound of the normal pickups, something that I do a lot with the GR-55.
And I still think that only the VIO Guitar already justifies buying a VG-8 EX today.

If Roland does not put VIO Guitar on the next VG product, I promise I will not buy it! And play my VG-8 EX until I die! ;)

Rodrigo Schwarz

Quote from: Rodrigo Schwarz on February 26, 2018, 09:26:12 AM
I seriously think of substituting the GR-55 for the VG-8 EX when I play with my band. I will do an experiment this weekend.

It worked. But I miss the ability to process the sound of the magnetic pickups, like the GR-55, so I'm going to continue using the GR-55. Some VG 8-EX instruments, especially VIO Guitar and Bowed, make me tempted to use both (GR-55 and VG) at the same time. But I used to play with two pedalboards and now i prefer to travel light. Even so, the VG 8-EX remains an unrivaled machine.

Brak(E)man

IMO , the VG8 have the best " Synth " tones and response.
Some of the guitar and amp Cosms are also the best of all units.
Open and transparent.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

QuoteIt (VG-8EX) worked. But I miss the ability to process the sound of the magnetic pickups,

FWIW - the VG-88 ( or VG-99 or GP-10 can process normal mag PU's using either the GK-13 cable input or its 1/4" Normal Guitar input

chrish

Quote from: Brak(E)man on March 05, 2018, 02:02:02 PM
IMO , the VG8 have the best " Synth " tones and response.
Some of the guitar and amp Cosms are also the best of all units.
Open and transparent.
and also has a great pitch shift program with a harmonizer and the tuning function.

Rhcole

You just have to wonder-
"WHAT THE HELL WAS ROLAND THINKING TO NOT UPDATE THESE TECHNOLOGIES??"

Rodrigo Schwarz

I agree with all of you! I believe it would be possible, with today's technology, to put all the features (not forgetting to pay attention to tones qualities) of the VG-8EX into a smaller device than the GR-55 - maybe even the size of the GP-10.

And Roland should bring back some of the engineers who created the VG-8EX and let them continue the revolution by creating new sounds!

Rodrigo Schwarz

Quote from: chrish on March 05, 2018, 03:36:34 PM
and also has a great pitch shift program with a harmonizer and the tuning function.

The Whammy on the VG-8 EX is unbelievable. The GR-55's Pitch Bend does not even come close.

jassy

After many years reading about the good VG8EX algos, VIO etc, (owned VG88 y VG99) today I have received my VG8EX.
This night I will try it, but reading this thread now I have a doubt, so it needs a GK2 and does not work well with GK3?

Rodrigo Schwarz

In my case, it did not operate right with the GK-3. It generated a very weak signal and the synths did not respond properly - but I read reports from some participants of this forum who were able to use VG-8 EX with GK-3. But I assure you that it's worth the effort to buy a GK-2A and exchange for the GK-3, which is what I did.

chrish

Quote from: jassy on March 06, 2018, 03:35:41 AM
After many years reading about the good VG8EX algos, VIO etc, (owned VG88 y VG99) today I have received my VG8EX.
This night I will try it, but reading this thread now I have a doubt, so it needs a GK2 and does not work well with GK3?
my 13 pin signal path to the vg8 input is via the SpiceStone appeal 13 pin out driven by a gk3.

I use a clean spicetone patch and can adjust the output level as hot as required to drive the vg8.

jassy

Quote from: chrish on March 06, 2018, 07:52:12 AM
my 13 pin signal path to the vg8 input is via the SpiceStone appeal 13 pin out driven by a gk3.

I use a clean spicetone patch and can adjust the output level as hot as required to drive the vg8.

Now that's playing with advantage   ;)

jassy

Quote from: Rodrigo Schwarz on March 06, 2018, 04:09:55 AM
In my case, it did not operate right with the GK-3. It generated a very weak signal and the synths did not respond properly - but I read reports from some participants of this forum who were able to use VG-8 EX with GK-3. But I assure you that it's worth the effort to buy a GK-2A and exchange for the GK-3, which is what I did.

Im trying it right now... and yes, the GK3 seems to have less output so I had to tweak the position of the gk a bit more.
In the other side I agree with what other said, the VG8 has a great musical personality and the absurdly abandoned algorithms are brilliant, and not only the VIO one (which is great), also many others, even the guitar emulations have a surposing cavernous and organic sound, very very interesting and not found in other units.
Now I understand how Metheny acheived that wonderful and unusual sound on he   I hope there is a patch with this sound anywhere in this forum.

Rodrigo Schwarz

Welcome to the club of those who recently discovered this phenomenal machine (already over 20 years old), jassy! And I agree with everything you said about the Roland VG-8 EX.

It's a shame all these algorithms have been left out. And good that it's not just my ears that found the guitars and amplifiers more organic. The Roland VG-8 EX is simply one of the coolest gear ever made.

Who has not bought yet, should run and get one as soon as possible. ;)

Moonpool

Interesting.  I've been using a VG8 and a VG 99 together for ages and I've never noticed the volume difference as anything systemic, just a few patches here and there.  For overall info, I have one guitar with a GK2A and the other 3 use a GK3 and I us a US-20 to switch between the VG8 and VG99 (or run them both together) and run the outs of both VG machines into a Mackie 1402.

Rodrigo Schwarz

Quote from: Moonpool on March 06, 2018, 01:16:10 PM
I us a US-20 to switch between the VG8 and VG99 (or run them both together)

Is the US-20 not responsible for equating the signal strength between the two pickups?

chrish

Quote from: Rodrigo Schwarz on March 07, 2018, 02:29:04 AM
Is the US-20 not responsible for equating the signal strength between the two pickups?
having a US 20 A/B 13 pin switch box connected to a VG 99 actually decreases the performance of certain patches, such as the high gain and gr 300 models.

I don't know if it has the same affect on the VG 8.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1263.msg165353#msg165353