BOSS Katana 50 PRIMARY Output in Windows

Started by alekseyl, November 06, 2017, 06:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alekseyl

If I set PRIMARY as an Output in audio player or in REAPER, I hear nothing from the KATANA's inbuilt speaker.
I also tried connecting REC OUT/PHONES combo output back to the PC (line in) and monitor from here.
And it worked. But it seems way too awkward :)

So i have 2 questions:
1) is it OK, that I don't hear any sound from the inbuilt speaker, when I send signal from PC to the PRIMARY device?
2) is there any way to hear recorded tracks in REAPER without changing between KATANA and PC's audio card in Preferences? (and without using headphones)
It would be good either to be able to somehow enable KATANA's inbuilt speaker when using PRIMARY
or to somehow use PC's sound card to playback recorded tracks, when I record a new one via KATANA
(but REAPER doesn't seem to support using different devices for input and output).

alekseyl

rolandvg99

Audinate Dante VIA is a software solution that can send signals to multiple sound devices without reconnecting. Another option is to use ASIO4ALL.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Elantric

https://www.roland.com/us/support/knowledge_base/115002255326/

KATANA: BOSS TONE STUDIOS - HOW TO MONITOR AUDIO PLAYER WITH SPEAKER

Tags: Boss Tone Studios, Primary, Audio Input Output, Speaker, KATANA, Audio Player, Monitor

KATANA: BOSS TONE STUDIOS - How to Monitor Player with Speaker

If you'd like to monitor the BOSS TONE STUDIOS audio Player through your KATANA speaker rather than the HEADPHONE OUTPUT.

In BOSS TONE STUDIOS, located in the bottom right of the user interface there is a SYSTEM TAB.

Click SYSTEM TAB - select DEVICE - select DETAIL - set the following:

MIDI IN: KATANA
MIDI OUT: KATANA

AUDIO IN:
Change from PRIMARY(KATANA) to SECONDARY (KATANA)
AUDIO OUT: leave empty
PRESS OK - the CONNECTION WINDOW will then re-open/appear - then select and PRESS CLOSE.

Now return to the PLAYER and push PLAY on the TRACK you'd like to monitor or hear through the KATANA SPEAKER. NOTE: Make sure the KATANA AMP MASTER VOLUME is set low before pressing PLAY.

jtug58

I have this same question and would like for my playback to go out the Katana speakers.  I'm trying to follow your instructions but I'm displayed something different.  I can't figure out how to insert an image so I'll attach my screenshot.  You say "AUDIO OUT: leave empty".  This isn't an option for I'm forced to choose something.

admin

Quote from: jtug58 on March 21, 2018, 09:13:43 AM
I have this same question and would like for my playback to go out the Katana speakers.  I'm trying to follow your instructions but I'm displayed something different.  I can't figure out how to insert an image so I'll attach my screenshot.  You say "AUDIO OUT: leave empty".  This isn't an option for I'm forced to choose something.

The Katana amp  is not full range  = its not going to be ideal playback system for music
I would make an inquiry with Boss support
https://www.boss.info/global/support/

And remember the the Katana is not intended to play USB Audio via its internal 12" Speaker

But this is the original link for the "work-around"

derrick.s.billups

Quote from: alekseyl on November 06, 2017, 06:16:56 AM
If I set PRIMARY as an Output in audio player or in REAPER, I hear nothing from the KATANA's inbuilt speaker.
I also tried connecting REC OUT/PHONES combo output back to the PC (line in) and monitor from here.
And it worked. But it seems way too awkward :)

So i have 2 questions:
1) is it OK, that I don't hear any sound from the inbuilt speaker, when I send signal from PC to the PRIMARY device?
2) is there any way to hear recorded tracks in REAPER without changing between KATANA and PC's audio card in Preferences? (and without using headphones)
It would be good either to be able to somehow enable KATANA's inbuilt speaker when using PRIMARY
or to somehow use PC's sound card to playback recorded tracks, when I record a new one via KATANA
(but REAPER doesn't seem to support using different devices for input and output).

Do you have another USB or Firewire interface? Cause if I want to record a wet signal, i.e. post pre amp, I just tell reaper to input from Primary Katana and to Output to my Focusrite interface. You will have to monitor you amp only, if you use cab sims like I do, apply them after. You can also record a clean DI and use that for Amplitube or to Re-amp later. Simply just use Secondary Katana instead of Primary. Secondary is a completely dry signal before the Katana pre-amp. Its great for me cause I'll record my DI to my PC then mic my SM57 and 58 is a 90/45 split on cone to my Mackie USB mixer and route that back into my PC or Audio EVo on Driod or I can either route to or use mic inputs of my ZOOM H4n. Theres some other cool stuff you can do with the 50, like use the preamps of any VST if you AUX buss on your interface. I go into my DAW set up and Aux buss for the hardware 3/4 out on my focusrite, and since that a line signal, its perfect for the line in of the amp becuase the line source by passes the pre amp of the Katana so I can turn around and mic the cab. Esentially Its re-amping but using a line source with a virtual preamp. But the main idea behind re-amp is to capture live mic. Unless you have a tube amp, youre using a digital preamp anyway and i can say the ENGL and MESA and ORange preamp are better than the Katana, as good as it is.