Does USB length matter?

Started by Redvers, August 25, 2017, 04:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redvers

Now that I can control my MS70-CDR remotely, I might as well house it in the back of my amp and patch it into the fx loop. My question is, would a 5m USB cable from my pedalboard be able to power and control it without issue?

GuitarBuilder

That depends on the quality of the cable, but likely yes.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

admin

It's more important to verify the USB cable is the correct wire

Particularly if the device is USB powered

3 meters max cable length delivers more reliable data transfer

More Details

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11086.msg80947#msg80947

JimboTN

When I researched USB cable length this is what I found:
According to USB.org, USB operating specifications limit the maximum length of the cable to 5 meters for full speed devices and 3 meters for any low speed devices. 5 meters is around 16 feet 5 inches, and 3 meters is around 9 feet 10 inches.
Based on that I purchased a USB cable with repeater built in for my long run that exceeds 15'.
Haven't tried it yet but getting ready to in the near future.
Hope this helps.

Elantric

QuoteBased on that I purchased a USB cable with repeater built in for my long run that exceeds 15'.

Ive had bad experience with missing MIDI Sysex packets over USB when  using those active "USB cable with repeater built in".

Let us know your results

Vade

'Tis a different application but experience shows that not all cables are created equal. There may be some helpful information here although I've not tested these USB cables in a mission critical purely audio environment.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-extra-equipment/
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

JimboTN

I hope to use the long usb cable w/repeater within the next week. I'll report back how it goes...that assumes I'll be smart enough to recognize whether it goes well or not...it's been a loooooong time since I messed with midi ::)

vanceg

Quote from: JimboTN on August 25, 2017, 11:37:32 AM
I hope to use the long usb cable w/repeater within the next week. I'll report back how it goes...that assumes I'll be smart enough to recognize whether it goes well or not...it's been a loooooong time since I messed with midi ::)

Issues with faulty or "past spec" USB, Firewire and other data cables can sometimes be really bizarre and elusive to track.  I've had pretty good luck with powered extender cables and lousy luck with the "self powered" ones which have little amps in them that run on the 5V from the USB itself.

gumtown

I'm using a 5 mtr USB cable for my lights controller pedal, which houses a USB 4 way hub, a USB to RS422 converter for the wireless DMX and a Midi to USB adapter.
All works fine for the last 4 years.

The 5 mtr cable I have has quite a thick build, a blue transparent plastic outer, and you can see the braided shield inside.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Redvers

Thanks for the replies guys, my raspberry pi decided not to work at a gig, despite lots of headless power on tests at home. Back to the drawing board with this, but I still want to buy a cable.

sixeight

Quote from: Redvers on August 27, 2017, 01:45:03 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, my raspberry pi decided not to work at a gig, despite lots of headless power on tests at home. Back to the drawing board with this, but I still want to buy a cable.

Did the midi connections not come up? Make sure you test with the network disconnected. The Raspberry Pi has an extra delay when there is not network connected...

Redvers

It's a pi3, do I really want to be switching the Wi-Fi off?  I had an issue with it assigning different ports to the zoom too, I thought I'd fixed it but it might be that.

sixeight

QuoteIt's a pi3, do I really want to be switching the Wi-Fi off?

When the pi boots it loads all of its services. This may take longer of shorter when the circumstances change. If your setup works at home and not in a different location, wifi would be my first suspect...

I wish I knew which service has to be running, so the aconnect commands work. Then there could be a check on that service with a delay before the aconnect commands. But I haven't been able to find it.