ROLAND /BOSS - The future redefined (May-June 2017 new product launches)

Started by admin, May 20, 2017, 10:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

Quote from: GeePeeAxe on June 21, 2017, 10:26:23 AM
I dont understand: why do those Roland managers think that the new Roland Blues Cube Hot "British EL84 Modified" with EL84 emulation would be good selling?

I bought the real thing with real tubes and a 12 inch speaker for only 279 euros recently and I am quite satisfied.
Boutique tube amps are now really affordable. I have 2 of them now.
I would suspect it has something to do with profit margin. DSP tube emulation codes  must be cheaper to produce then than Real Tube circuits. After they get the dsp coded products ready to be released then they depend on their marketing department to try to convince us it's the future redefined.

I was fooled for a while. :)

Elantric

QuoteI bought the real thing with real tubes and a 12 inch speaker for only 279 euros recently and I am quite satisfied.
Boutique tube amps are now really affordable. I have 2 of them now.

Used Tube Amp Prices must be different in Europe compared to USA
https://reverb.com/item/942898-vintage-national-tremo-tone-model-1224-1955-tweed-valco

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?forums/amps-and-cabs-emporium.6/

My genuine 2014 Vox AC15 TV BC  works well - but that was $600 on sale
https://monstermusicny.com/products/vox-ac15-tv-bc-limited-edition-tube-amplifier

and the cheap Monoprice 15 watt tube amp ($150)  is nothing like a Vox
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=611815&seq=1&format=2

GeePeeAxe

Quotereal tubes and a 12 inch speaker for only 279 euros

It was NEW and it sounds really good: Laney Cub 12R (15 W)

I hope that in 2 days we will see something really good by Boss/Roland, maybe a new guitar synth or something for guitar players, that is not only a toy.

Elantric

QuoteIt was NEW and it sounds really good: Laney Cub 12R (15 W)

Basically the UK/Euro version of  Monoprice 15 watt tube amp ($150) - but the Laney does have a better speaker
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=611815&seq=1&format=2

RogerVG8EX

Quote from: Smash on May 30, 2017, 12:19:59 AM
Katana brand amp modelling multi FX with SY300 style pseudo synth FX block (hopefully they'll have ripped an EHX 9 pedal apart and come up with their own version of events to get other keyboard tones like the Rhodes/Hammond etc. and they'll amaze everyone with a piano!! :p)

Before the release of the EHX Synth 9, the SY-300 wad the only gadged that could produce analog modular synth sounds, but the sounds of the Synth 9 are more 70s and 80s sounding instead of the SY-300, which sounds very "dubstep" IMO.

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Quote from: RogerVG8EX on June 22, 2017, 12:06:29 AM
Before the release of the EHX Synth 9, the SY-300 wad the only gadged that could produce analog modular synth sounds, but the sounds of the Synth 9 are more 70s and 80s sounding instead of the SY-300, which sounds very "dubstep" IMO.

The most un-reported new tech from Roland  / Boss is the new "Overtone" effect in the Boss GT-1  - its a Poly Octave Generator like, allows chords, and currently provides a decent organ effect on the Boss GT-1

I hope they provide a more advanced version of this "Overtone" effect, and whatever they release  - I hope it has USB Class Compliance Audio/MIDI and genuine MIDI I/O  - Id be happy with the Arturia type MIDI I/O
using 3.5mm plugs

Smash

No new flagship as I understand  :(

Peter the GR-eat...

Hoping for an update of the software for GP-10.
2 more FX slots.
The ability to save presets in amps, FX and Instruments separately. So i don't have to start from scratch all the time.
More parameters in the Wave synth.
An ADSR would make huge difference.

AND

A new fast version of Boss tone studio. And a version for iPhone/IPad etc..

RogerVG8EX

Quote from: Elantric on June 22, 2017, 02:28:07 AM

The most un-reported new tech from Roland  / Boss is the new "Overtone" effect in the Boss GT-1  - its a Poly Octave Generator like, allows chords, and currently provides a decent organ effect on the Boss GT-1

I hope they provide a more advanced version of this "Overtone" effect, and whatever they release  - I hope it has USB Class Compliance Audio/MIDI and genuine MIDI I/O  - Id be happy with the Arturia type MIDI I/O
using 3.5mm plugs

Boss MDP pedals are underrated. The Adaptative Distrortion was discontinued 2 years after it was launched. The Tera Echo and Multi Overtone are still unknown among guitarists, which is very rare because the Tera Echo is perfect for soundscapes. The same happens with the Roland GR-S and GR-D, they offer very cool sounds. I have both and I use them for soundscaping.

Elantric

Quote from: RogerVG8EX on June 22, 2017, 12:23:54 PM
Boss MDP pedals are underrated. The Multi Overtone are still unknown among guitarists, which is very rare because the Tera Echo is perfect for soundscapes. .

Agreeed!
Boss MO-2 fell under my Radar - only discovered it in the Boss GT-1

gumtown

Quote from: gumtown on June 22, 2017, 01:26:05 AM
battery powered micro Katana with a 2" speaker  :)

My prediction was not too far off the mark.
Katana mini'

Katana Mini http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss/KTN-MINI-Katana-Mini-Guitar-Amplifier.gc

OVERVIEW   
BOSS Katana amps have received accolades from guitarists everywhere for their fantastic sound and feel, onboard effects and great value. Now, the Katana-Mini makes serious Katana tone accessible in a small, go-anywhere amp that runs on batteries. Offering sound quality that far exceeds other amps in its class, this miniature powerhouse features an authentic multi-stage analog gain circuit for big, expressive sound, plus a traditional analog EQ and an onboard tape-style delay. Ultra-compact and travel-ready, the Katana-Mini delivers inspiring Katana tone anywhere you want to play.

Specially Designed for Top-Quality Sound
Unlike typical small, battery-powered guitar amps that offer so-so sound quality, the Katana-Mini produces big, full tone that inspires you to plug in and play for hours at a time. BOSS's comprehensive design approach includes a custom speaker, advanced hardware, refined circuitry, and special component selection, which all work together to produce maximum sound quality in a minimum footprint. The amp also incorporates BOSS's decades of research in energy efficient design, providing class-defying power and punch from only six AA-size batteries.

Inspiring Tones, Ready to Rock
The Katana-Mini's all-analog input circuitry includes multiple gain stages that drive three classic sound settings, offering the same cascaded gain approach found in high-end amp designs. This is what gives the Katana-Mini its satisfying tone and quick, interactive feel, with distortion that's easily controlled with input volume and picking strength. Inspired by BOSS's flagship Waza amp, the Katana-Mini's Brown setting delivers expressive, high-gain tones rich with harmonics, perfect for heavy riffs and soaring solos. Crunch provides overdrive that's ideal for rock rhythms and bluesy leads, while Clean offers up crisp, sparkling tones with punchy dynamic response.

Analog Tone Stack and Onboard Delay
In contrast to the limited EQs found in other small amps, the Katana-Mini comes equipped with a genuine three-band analog tone stack. This provides natural sound shaping via familiar bass, mid, and treble controls, just like the tone stack in a full-size stage amp. In addition, you can enhance your sound further with the Katana-Mini's cool tape-style delay. Using the dedicated time and level knobs, it's simple to dial in everything from subtle reverb-like ambience to long, warm delay repeats.

Jam at Home or Grab and Go
Thanks to the Katana-Mini's advanced-yet-compact design, you can plug into serious guitar tone any time and any place. Weighing just under three pounds, it sits easily on a tabletop or shelf at home. And with the integrated handle and battery operation, it's easy and convenient to grab the amp and play anywhere you want, indoors or out. With the aux input, you can even plug in your smartphone and jam along with your personal music library or tracks streamed from the web. And for private practice and recording situations, you'll want to take advantage of the phones/recording output, which features special cabinet voicing for real mic'd amp tone.

Features
Great Katana tone in a highly portable amp
Rich, full sound that far exceeds other amps in its class
Authentic multi-stage analog gain circuit and three-band analog tone stack
Three versatile amp types: Brown, Crunch, and Clean
Built-in tape-style delay for warm ambience
Aux input for jamming with music from a smartphone
Phones/recording output with cabinet voicing
SPECIFICATIONS   
Power: 7W
Single input
Nominal Input Level:
Input -10 dBu (1 M ohm)
Speaker: 1x4
Controls: 3-band EQ, Type switch, gain, volume, delay time, delay level
-Connectors
Aux. input: -10 dBu (20 k ohm)
Headphone/recording output
Power Supply:
Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 6
Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) x 6
AC adaptor (sold separately)
Current Draw: 350 mA
Expected battery life under continuous use: Approximately 7 hours
Rechargeable Ni-MH battery: Approximately 9 hours (When using batteries having a capacity of 2500 mAh.)
Dimensions: 9-1/16 x 4-5/8 x 7-1/8 in. (230 x 116 x 181 mm)
Weight (including batteries): 2 lb. 11 oz. (1.2 kg)
Includes: Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 6

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

Bass version of the GT-1
The GT-1B

GT-1B Bass MFX http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss/GT-1B-Bass-Multi-Effects-Processor.gc
OVERVIEW   
The Boss GT-1B bass effects processor gives bass players a massive range of pro tone-shaping power in a small and robust package. Backed by BOSS's flagship sound engine, you have full access to a huge selection of bass-optimized amps and effects for stage and studio playing. The streamlined interface lets you dial in sounds fast, while the onboard control switch and expression pedal enable you to adjust multiple effects in real time. And by connecting to BOSS Tone Central, you can download new patches, editing software, and more. Compact, rugged, and battery powered, the GT-1B is the ultimate mobile tone companion for every bassist.

Flagship Tone Tools for Bass
Equipped with a bass-tuned version of BOSS's most advanced sound engine, the GT-1B is absolutely packed with top-quality sound tools. A wide range of preamps are available for shaping your core tone, including updated favorites from the GT-10B and two all-new models. Premium MDP effects like limiter and distortion feature advanced BOSS tech to maintain your instrument's character and response, enabling free-flowing musical expression. Graphic EQ, T-Wah, and other essentials are on hand too, plus impact effects such as Harmonist, Bass Synth, Defretter, and more. There's also a complete array of mod, delay, and reverb effects, and even a looper for jamming and on-the-fly creativity.

Mobile Powerhouse
The GT-1B is designed for bassists on the move. It's surprisingly lightweight and compact, making it ideal for tight stage setups and situations where you need to travel light. The rugged modern design is easy to slip in the accessory compartment of a bass bag, with no worries of hard edges causing damage to your instrument. AC or battery power provides flexibility for any performing situation, so you can always take your tone with you everywhere you play.

Sound Creation Made Easy
With the GT-1B's intuitive interface, it's simple to build sounds and fine-tune parameters, even if you're new to multi-effects. Dedicated buttons provide instant editing access to each effect category, which you can adjust straight away via three panel knobs. The buttons also function as on/off switches, and feature status indicators that let you see which categories are enabled at a glance. Easy Select and Easy Edit functions streamline patch creation even more, allowing beginners and pros alike to achieve polished multi-effects sounds with just a few tweaks.

BOSS Tone Central and BOSS Tone Studio
At BOSS Tone Central, you'll find a wide selection of free patch collections for the GT-1B. Programmed by top bassists, these patches are dialed-in and ready to use, and make great starting points for advanced players who like to create their own custom sounds. The free BOSS Tone Studio software provides a full-featured editor/librarian for the GT-1B, as well as integrated access to all the patch collections at BOSS Tone Central.

Pro Control in a Compact Space
The GT-1B's three footswitches are smartly designed to provide patch selection, tuner access, looper control, and more in a minimal footprint. The dedicated CTL1 switch is freely assignable to functions like tap tempo, effects on/off, and numerous others, while the expression pedal and toe switch are assignable to volume, wah, pitch shift, and various effects parameters. If you crave even more control, there's a jack for connecting up to two external footswitches or an expression pedal. And in addition to providing access to BOSS Tone Central and BOSS Tone Studio, the GT-1B's USB jack lets you record tones directly to your favorite DAW.

Features
Flagship-class BOSS sound engine specially tuned for bass
Pro-level amps and effects in a light, compact floor unit
Essential tools on board for optimizing your core bass tone
Includes advanced MDP effects for maximum musical expression
Modern design with no hard edges enables safe transport in an instrument bag
Easy Select and Easy Edit functions for quickly choosing and tweaking patches
Onboard control switch and expression pedal; footswitch/expression pedal jack and USB
SPECIFICATIONS   
Four AA batteries provide up to seven hours of mobile playing time

Smash

Elantric

RV-500 Reverb

SPECIFICATIONS   
Sampling Frequency
96 kHz

AD/DA Conversion
32 bits

Processing
32-bit floating point

Modes
12 modes
ROOM
HALL
PLATE
SPRING
SHIMMER
FAST DECAY
EARLY REFLECTION
NON-LINEAR
SFX
DUAL
SRV
SPACE ECHO

Memory
198 (99 banks x 2 [ A ] [ B ]), 297 (99 banks x 3 [ A ] [ B ] [ C ])

Nominal Input Level
INPUT A/MONO, B: -10 dBu

Maximum Input Level
INPUT A/MONO, B: +8 dBu

Input Impedance
INPUT A/MONO, B: 1 M ohm

Nominal Output Level
OUTPUT A/MONO, B: -10 dBu

Maximum Output Level
OUTPUT A/MONO, B: +8 dBu

Output Impedance
OUTPUT A/MONO, B: 2 k ohms

Recommended Load Impedance
OUTPUT A/MONO, B: 20 k ohms or greater

Bypass
Buffered bypass or True bypass (with relays)

Controls
A switch, B switch, TAP/CTL switch
DOWN button, UP button, EXIT button, EDIT button
MODE knob, TIME/VALUE knob, PRE-DELAY knob, E.LEVEL knob, LOW knob, HIGH knob

Display
Graphic LCD (128 x 64 dots, backlit LCD)

Connectors
INPUT (A/MONO, B) jacks, OUTPUT (A/MONO, B) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
CTL 1,2/EXP jack: 1/4-inch TSR phone type
USB COMPUTER port: USB type B
MIDI (IN, OUT) connectors
DC IN jack

Power Supply
Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4, AC adaptor (sold separately)
Current Draw: 225 mA
Expected battery life under continuous use: Alkaline: Approx. 4.5 hours

Dimensions
6-3/4 x 5-7/16 x 2-1/2 in. (170 x 138 x 62 mm)

Weight (including battery)
2 lb. 4 oz. (1.0 kg)

Accessories
Owner's manual
Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4

Options (sold separately)
AC adaptor: PSA-S series
Footswitch: FS-5U, FS-5L
Dual Footswitch: FS-6, FS-7
Expression Pedal: FV-500H, FV-500L, EV-30, Roland EV-5

Elantric

MD-500 Modulation http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss/MD-500-Modulation-Effects-Pedal.gc
OVERVIEW   
The BOSS MD-500 Modulation features 32-bit/96 kHz AD/DA, deep programmability, and advanced features. It offers musicians unlimited creative capabilities with cutting-edge BOSS technology.

The versatile MD-500 provides 12 modes and 28 different mod effects. Included are BOSS's famous chorus and Roland's legendary Dimension D, plus flanger, tremolo, phaser, vibe, slicer, ring mod, and more. Many effect modes include advanced Prime variations newly developed for the MD-500. Simul mode enables using two patches at once, while the Insert Loop function lets the user position mod effects around external pedals for the best sound.

Free editor/librarian software is available for the MD-500, allowing users to edit sounds and organize patches on a computer via USB.

Peter the GR-eat...

We'll now.. The RV-500 and MD-500 looks cool. :) Specially the MD-500.
Everybody need chorus u now.

Rodrigo Schwarz

MD-500 and RV-500 are serious competitors for Strymon Mobius/Eventide ModFactor and BigSky/Eventide Space. And Boss products have the advantage of using two effects simultaneously. But it's a shame that no new guitar synthesizer was introduced. Not that I had much hope of it happening.
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

Rodrigo Schwarz

Quote from: Elantric on June 23, 2017, 02:38:40 AM
https://twitter.com/RolandExpCh

Nice! The great Brazilian guitarist, Andreas Kisser (Sepultura), is in the Katana-mini video.
I'm a journalist and I've interviewed him a couple of times here in Brazil. Great rock musician and plays very well classical guitar - a disciple of Randy Rhoads. And the amp looks cool too!
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

Elantric

Smash

Quote from: Rodrigo Schwarz on June 23, 2017, 03:25:57 AM
MD-500 and RV-500 are serious competitors for Strymon Mobius/Eventide ModFactor and BigSky/Eventide Space.

And they've nicked their colour swatch as well  ;D

Nice bits of kit - not for me but undeniably great bits of kit

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch