The Sy 300 was amazing before...but now...

Started by pattiman, May 09, 2017, 07:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pattiman

...but now that I've paired it with the line 6 Helix, it is even more Godlike (at least times 10)  than before.
I saw in another thread omeosne mention in another threat  (I believe it was  sy 300 guru Rhcole )that the oscillators mimic or behave differently depending on what you input into them, and he couldn't have been more on the money.

The Helix not only has one of the most programmable footswitches, but the routing capabilities are no less impressive. I can run a dual stereo parallel series so that two tones don't effect each other, getting a smoothness that I couldn't get with the sy300 alone. Also the sy300 was a bit noisy at my house, which could just be the old wiring, but now with the ability to put several mild noise gates in different places along the signal chain, she's quite as a mouse without the gating effect and still getting nice trails with things like reverb and delay. I've had both of these pieces of gear for over a year now and never thought to put the two together.
I was discouraged by the extra setup at first and also possibly making my live setup more complex, but now I can't see going without this setup. People are going to wonder how I'm making my guitar sound like that and the harshness that people have mentioned  with the sy300 is  completely manageable now. If I want dirty and gritty, which it is great at, I can have it, but now I can smooth it out with the eqs in the Helix.

Since you might not be able to imagine what I'm talking about and my excitement may seem odd, I'll post some sound samples soon. I literally could not sleep after I started to discover  what is possible.  Tom Schultz and his space pedal have nothing on this setup! lol  I can't think of any other gutiarists at the moment that have setups that might be considered a vant garde, but from what I heard with my own ears, that's exactly what this could be considered.  I was wondering how I could integrate this into a live set up , but NOW, I could build a whole show and set of music around this setup. I can barely contain myself,

The worst part I suppose is that with all the possibilities I could spend weeks now programming the two units together. Now I'm going to throw in and Eventide H9 pedal and it's only going to get even more out of this world. I'm like a pig in mud. I haven't been this happy since I first discovered distortion and then delay and a phaser, which at the time were overwhelming for me. I couldn't believe one could make an instrument sound like that. This feeling is right up there.
Ok , back to the lab. Maybe I'll get exhausted and actually get some sleep...lol.
Click on the little globe on the left for my guitar based tom foolery. Add a 2 to the end  and the second link is much more synth and sample based stuff. Download my latest album for free at:https://marcpattison1.bandcamp.com/album/risen-from-the-ashes-2

mchad

Great post. And good to hear of your discovery. I'd love to hear some sound samples.

Boss are really onto something with the SY300. And because of the conventional 1/4 inch connectivity it's makes it easy to explore new sonic textures. I can't wait to see what Boss do with the technology.