New User - Godin xtSA & GR55 Setup Questions

Started by DirkBenson, March 25, 2017, 11:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirkBenson

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to the Godin xtSA/GR55 rig.  Just got them and reading through posts and the manual.  Thanks to many of you for the excellent setup instructions.

I am struggling a bit with how best to run various outputs and setup patches to do what I want to do with the rig and hoped you guys could point me toward some existing threads that might discuss this.

The Goals:

• Use 1 guitar for performance
  • Use only the 13 pin cable out of the xtSA
  • Use stereo output of GR55 for synth sounds
  • use Guitar Out for piezo acoustic pickups, electric pickups and modeled amp tones

I plan to run the stereo outputs into 2 channels in the board, and the guitar output to another channel, and don't plan to use my guitar amp.  I am just doing simple small gigs and want to keep the setup simple.

I also have questions about whether the piezo and electric pickups on the guitar are taken as inputs to the modeling tones (series), or just mixed in (parallel).  The GR55 diagram shows them coming together but they don't really sound like they're the source of the modeled tones.  I know many of the patches and modeled tones start with what guitar and pickup you want to model, but in my case I want to use the pickups in my xtSA.  Maybe that's short-sighted and I should explore the full modeling capability of the GR55?

I suppose the best way to get the most out of the entire rig would be to send separate outputs from the guitar; 1/4" acoustic out to a channel or amp; 1/4" electric out to amp or effects processor/amp; and 13 pin for synth.

Anyway, I know there must be a ton of knowledge here and I don't want to rehash threads if they already exist and I could just be pointed to them.  I have read many already and think I have it setup correctly.  It tracks well.

Any help you could give would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dirk Benson

thomasabowden

Just wondering what you discovered since March ... I'm mating an xtSA with GR-55 too. It's my impression that the modeling shapes the synth signal, not the magnetic or piezo pickups.

admin