GT-100 Beginers Help Wanted

Started by locutus6888, March 24, 2017, 02:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locutus6888

Hi to all,

I have had my GT-100 for a month now after deciding to replace my 18 year old, battered RP-1.

I have read and re-read more info on the GT than I can remember and watched hours of YouTube vids but am struggling
to get a decent tone out of the box. I have come to the conclusion that I am setting something wrong or that this unit is not
for me after all.

So I have come here to ask for some help. I have all updates. I have Floorboard and Boss tone central and they are all ok.
I mostly play thru headphones but also a little bit thru my amp at low volume. I must add that all this has been fine n dandy thru my RP-1.

My gear is a Marshall AVT 275 and have been using Left/Mono out from the GT into the FX Return on Amp so I can use the amp mods.
I use a 2013 LP 70's tribute with dirty fingers PU's 90% of the time.
Main music genre would by classic rock and 80's rock, leaning towards the Gary Moore tone and bit of Whitesnake.

I really am at my wits end after all my research, I just dont seem to get any where near what my RP-1 sounds like.
I must have somit wrong. Even downloaded patch that I have tried are nothing close to the vids that come with them.

Please, please help, this is my last resort. I dont like to bother people but I'm really stuck.

Sorry for long post and thanks for any replies and your time.

gumtown

Greetings and welcome !!

I guess the first places to start are
1) global input setting, the default is 0dB, but it really needs to be knocked back, especially if you use high output or humbucker pickups.
-7 to 12 dB is a good place to start.

2.) output select setting, when plugging into the phones jack, automatically forces the GT to "line/phones" mode, which is good for headphones playing.
For the FX return use, probably "stack return" or "combo return".

good luck !!  :) 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

follow the concepts here

Boss gt 8 + marshall AVT 275 Limited Edition + Mogami 2524 cables

locutus6888

Thanks to gumtown and Elantric for your replies.

The settings for outputs and guitar input I have tried in many ways to no avail.

I will check the video out later as not with my gear at the mo.

Again.....MANY thanks.