Boss Katana Cabinet 212 Speaker (open back / closed back)

Started by littlespaceman, February 26, 2017, 03:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlespaceman

Anyone know if one of these is due out at any time? Seems a bit weird to me to release a head with no matching cab...

mchad

It is indeed a mystery.

I read somewhere it is going to be a 2x12.

littlespaceman

Love to hear Boss's explanation for that one! I oh so nearly pulled the trigger on a Kat head today, but something keeps holding me back... actually it's a number of things;
1) no cab
2) only 4 patches (ok so 5 including panel, but either way what's that all about??)
3) It's only mono...

Boss, please take note! (am I wasting my breath??)

mchad

The no cab situation makes no fricking sense.

The 4 patches plus panel is understandable at the price point. Simplifies things too.

A stereo version would rock.

sixeight

QuoteA stereo version would rock

Absolutely. I was suprised the Katana 100-2x12 was not stereo, considering the price difference. It must be a very expensive speaker...

( . )( . )

I guess their thinking was that you could use your existing cab to tailor the sound you want. It still seems like they should offer a 2*12 or 4*12, but you know, it's Boss...maybe if they sell enough units, they'll see a demand.

I'm pretty sure they didn't make a stereo version so as not to compete with their Jazz Chortus amp. Why would someone go with a JC-120 over a K100 stereo 2*12 for half the price? I know I wouldn't.

I'm using the head through an old Sonic closed back V30/G12H30 loaded 2*12, and it sounds really good, but I can only run it at 50w so as not to risk blowing the speakers. 50w is pretty darn loud though.

I'm considering trying to buy  2 Katana speakers, but yes they are expensive - $150 each I believe. Does anyone know if you can order them direct from Boss?

littlespaceman

I don't know about the Kat speakers, but I tried a head in a store the other day with a Blackstar 112, which sounded great - and I gather that Blackstar make a 4 x 8 called the HT408, which I reckon would sound pretty sweet. Again though, I still can't get over the fact we wouldn't be having this conversation if they made their own speaker for it!

Regarding the 4 channels vs price point thing, sorry but if Blackstar (Core ID High Power) can give you 36 'channels' (patches) for about £100 less, then Boss can give you more than 4 at the price they're selling the Kat's for - I can't believe it adds a penny to the overall cost of making them...

GuitarBuilder

I've tried the Katana 100W Head through a number of speakers: Marshall 1960A with G12T-75s, Marshall 2061CX with G12H30s, Avatar G212 with Vintage 30s, Marshall 1965A with G10L-35s.  They all sound great.  No need for a BOSS dedicated cabinet.  If you want one that matches the head, try Avatar - you can custom specify the looks and speakers.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

stevesilk51

Yeah, I can't see the point in a Katana Cab, seems more sensible to allow users to experiment with cabs, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 etc, different speakers etc. 
I still expect Boss to provide cabs at some stage though.

fificap

Hi,

I'm looking for a 2x12 cab for the katana head. I was almost ready to buy low priced cab loaded with 2 celestion V30: HB G212 vintage from Thomann or Fame GN212-vintage 30 from Musicstore; new or second hand . Both are at 222€ for France.

But i found some informations (very few unfortunatly) on Jet City 24S+, loaded with 2 custom eminence, saying that those speakers are more flat and neutral compare to celestion V30. The price is very good, 185€, and the cab well made.

Considering that the katana head is not a tube amp, but includes amp simulation (very good for my taste) and effect, i think now that the more "neutral" JCA cab is maybe more suitable to benefit of the katana amp simulation and effect ?

What do you think: V30 "colored" cab or Eminence "neutral" cab ?

Thanks for your advices.
Philippe

Elantric

The Katana is not a modeling amp

It works best with guitar speakers

The stock Katana speakers are very good guitar speakers - but definitely NOT neutral flat response.

Folks get the wrong idea about Katana Speaker type because of that Katana "Acoustic Amp" setting , but in truth that Acoustic Amp setting kicks in an aggressive DSP EQ curve on the signal that attempts to make a typical guitar speaker sound like a flat response speaker.

IMHO if you feed a Katana Head into a full range flat response speaker cab , you will suffer big time.  It will be a shrill beast

==
EDIT

Pre-order at Guitar Center for $349

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss/Katana-Cabinet-212-150W-2x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-Black-1500000151553.gc

Owners Manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/KTN-CAB212_eng01_W.pdf

fificap

Thanks for this answer. I'll try to find more informations on those eminence speaker, i'm not sure they are so flat in fact.

( . )( . )

Since my Celestion loaded 2*12 was only rated for 60w (as I said before, it sounded really good with the K head at 50w), I picked up 2 Eminence Legend V1216s cheap ($65 for the pair basically new) on Craigslist and put them in my other closed back 2*12. I must say, I think they sound pretty darn good, and can handle whatever I throw at them.

Tcaron20

I will be swapping out the Katana 100 speaker for a WGS g12c/s. Would like to tame the highs, which are very good, for Jazz and Blues. This speaker also expands the low range, which helps in a 1-12 cabinet. I would probably do better with the Katana 2-12 but it is too heavy for me.

Have this speaker in a Carr Rambler and my Blues Cube Stage and it works really well for taming highs and expanding bass.

Tom C

nomadx

Hello-
I'm new to vguitarforums.  Just bought a Katana 100W head and i have it paired with a cheap speaker.  Recommendations for a better speaker to pair up with the head for some high gain mayhem.  I'm looking for some mid to high punch without the real fizzy high end.  Suggestions?  Probably should have some bass punch as well.

I should say I love the EQ curve of the V30s, but I'm not so sure I like the way they break up and cause that fizzy sound.  Also, it takes too long to break those in for use.

Unadan

If you like the Vintage 30 get a broken in Hellatone from Avatar Speakers.

nomadx

Thanks, Unadan.  I'm considering the WGS Veteran 30.  Anyone tried this with the Katana head?

( . )( . )

If you're only playing it through one speaker and you want to be able to utilize the full 100 watts, you may want to consider something that can handle higher wattage than a V30 or V30 clone. For the price, I'd recommend an Emi V12. They are 100w and tend to have less of the V30 fizz.

I'm running the head through a 2*12, and I've played with a few speaker combinations using a V30, G12H30, and 2 V12s. At 50w I'm a fan of the 2 Celestions together, especially if you like a more classic rock sound. If you're into metal and dropped tunings, I'd say the two Emi's will give you what you want. Right now I'm using the V30 with 1 V12, and I'm really liking it.

nomadx

Thanks, chameleon.  I've already ordered the Veteran 30 and I'm planning a DIY 1x12 to pair another speaker.  They will both be 16ohm for a combined 8ohm.  Not sure what I'll pair it with just yet.  I record mostly so I want the benefit of two tones to choose from as well as the use of the full 100 watts.

Anyone have experience with the Vet 30 and another speaker as a combo?

Idgolfguy

When's looking for a value for money (cheap) cab for my Katana head.
I'd tried a few such as:
Yamaha THRC 112 which I liked but a little expensive. Great range and handled the volume well as was light - 8 ohms.
Marshall quad with V30s, loved the sound but impractical. Used it an outdoor AC/DC tribute gig. 16 ohms.

I've also used my Behringer LX210 amp with Bugera speakers - lacked definition and punchiness. It was open-backed - 16 ohms.

I tried three Laney cabs with H&H speakers; Closed back 2x12,  1x12 and open back 2x12. These were all 8 ohms. I really liked the 1x12 closed back as the 2x12 was a little dark and heavy sounding.

For my needs, hard rock to jazz, I found the open back was the most versatile and liked the look as well. The model is the Laney Cub Cab.

While trying it out, I happened to spy the guitar in the picture... it's my favourite drink so I had to get it. Surprised at the workmanship and quality.

Sorry about the picture - posted from my phone.

nomadx

So I replaced my cheap 12" speaker with the WGS Veteran.  Holy cow! What a difference?  I can certainly say, without a doubt, the Veteran sounds fantastic with the Katana 100w head; cleans and medium/high gain.  It brought an entirely new love for this amp.  All of the amp settings just sound better and I'm sure it will only get better as the speaker is broken in. 

Tom D.

Boss Katana 2*12 cabinet prototype:

Someone's preparing a Katana cabinet release for Namm 2018 apperently...

admin

Sooner than that

It was already shown at 2017 summer NAMM in Nashville

Katana 2x12 Cab will be officially released next week at a special event in London

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21532.0

Here is a thread with all details
Katana 2 x12" open / closed back speaker cab 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21618.msg155996#msg155996

Would have mentioned this before - but I was under an NDA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

. . but since BenoA let the "kat cab" out of the bag . .
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24768521/

For those of you not members of the Facebook Group, below are 2 pics of a prototype Boss Katana 2x12 cab for the Katana series.

Weight: around 50 pounds (22,7 kg)

Dimensions: H L W 20 in x 26 in x 12 in (500 mm x 670 mm x 300 mm)

Speakers: are same as the one in the Katana 100 2x12, MSRP is planned to be around 400 $us.

Removable back plate (8 screws), transforms into an open back cab.

Release date: Boss is hoping for Fall 2017

It sounds great! Doesn't make my Katana Head sound too "trebley" and adds some darknest.

Loving it so far, just not enough spare time lately...

I really like the look of the Katana 2x12 cab when it's set up at the vertical (makes an awesome Mini Stack). I even asked Boss if they could add some rubber feet and moving the logo in the middle with a pivot so you could flip the logo depending on the position you set your cab. They told me it was a great idea and would look into it.

Video overview to come very soon and play through to follow... Stay tuned!

A follow up to my post above. Here is a quick video overview of the 2x12 cabinet and very quick jingle done with the cab, all done on the crunch channel. I'll have more to come as soon as I get the time. Cheers!

I also have prototype Katana 2x12 cab - its everything BenoA says - I love it!

the removable back provides options - but I love the closed back myself.

As Jeff Beck used to say: "it rattles the cuffs on your trousers"

and I agree - they should install 4 more rubber feet on the side - so folks can use the Katana 2x12 cab as a vertical 2x12" cab - for a smaller stage footprint, and move more air closer to your ears on stage

Elantric

I understand  Boss Katana 2 x 12 open/closed back speaker cab  will be available in November 2017, they are shooting for $375 USD

TexasaurusRex

Always good info/discussions here, a gold mine for Katana 100 head owners,such as myself. I am very interested in the official cab offering,too. I have  used every combination cab/head + amp power option set-up possible. The amp is the most versatile amp I have ever used that sounds great with so many different cabinet/speaker size choices.  I started off with a Bugera 2x12" vertically stacked like in the pics above. I even added the extra rubber feet. Replaced the speakers with Celestions, sounds amazing but it's not the best built cabinet. (I play a Strat and a mix of classic rock-to-Texas roadhouse blues through it 2-3 times a week and the Katana still blows me away). So,I next put a10" 30 w Celestion into a small VOX cab for use at low wattage. Equally good, but different. Both set-ups shine recording with mics, and the Katana line-out is just icing. Also sounds sweet on 50 watts but a fella has to be careful. I then got a used 4x10" Marshall cab for the full 100w metal thing with a Flying V with Seymours. I wasn't planning on so many dang cabs and speakers for one flippin' amp head, yet I have learned there is an amp setting that works fantastic with all of them. I will keep them all, I suppose. Since I  have used the Katana for recording so often, with lotsa different guitars,  I still keep coming back to  what I thought was the obvious choice, the Celestion loaded 2x12" ,vertically placed. But, man...it's sounds awesome thru them all. Throw in sneaky amp variables and my head explodes regular like! Cheers