No hex pickup needed!

Started by pedalboy88, October 25, 2016, 12:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedalboy88

Hi all,

I have finally got full polyphony running a hardware synth on a pedalboard without hex pickup.

I installed jam origin guitar midi software on an Intel NUC i5 running Windows 10. USB soundcard and midi interface.

Runs great, minimal latency and without Roland hex pickup. I have setup windows so it doesn't need a screen and turn the NUC on and off with top button, so no screen keyboard or mouse required for normal operation.

A few issues with noisy power supplies but with lots of filtering that is sorted.

Just thought I would let people know it is possible and is a great option if you just want to use synths and not the other Roland stuff like cosm modeling.

Cheers,

Mal

Beirne

Does it track the chords on dissonant type chords? That is the test....
www.intangiblesny.com
www.facebook.com/intangiblesband

Elantric

We each have different expectations and satisfaction indexes for Guitar to MIDI conversion hardware/software

For me the Fishman Tripleplay remains the top.

jassy

Quote from: pedalboy88 on October 25, 2016, 12:44:22 AM
Hi all,

I have finally got full polyphony running a hardware synth on a pedalboard without hex pickup.

I installed jam origin guitar midi software on an Intel NUC i5 running Windows 10. USB soundcard and midi interface.

Runs great, minimal latency and without Roland hex pickup. I have setup windows so it doesn't need a screen and turn the NUC on and off with top button, so no screen keyboard or mouse required for normal operation.

A few issues with noisy power supplies but with lots of filtering that is sorted.

Just thought I would let people know it is possible and is a great option if you just want to use synths and not the other Roland stuff like cosm modeling.

Cheers,

Mal

We are talking about MidiGuitar a long time here, some of us even are big fans, you can read about it here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7530.0
While one of the best midi to guitar systems, it needs yet to polish some areas (mainly problems with altered chords, and other minor things) but we have no new versions from months.

pedalboy88

I needed a portable rig to play gigs with. I had tried Jam Origin midi guitar on an ipod and it was at too slow.
I tried it again later on a good PC and it worked really well so this inspired me to get a portable system going.

I like being able to use a standard guitar. I have used a Roland hex pickup until recently out of necessity. I never liked the idea of wireless batteries running out so didn't go to a triple play.

Anyway, the NUC is really small and quite powerful so fits on a pedalboard. For me it is a big step forward from the hex systems but everyone has different priorities.

I should say I tend to use it for noisy synth stuff. The latency is as good as the old Roland units but it you want to strum or play fast it might not be what you are looking for. best test it out yourself.

brett

Very cool! I have jam origin and have been using it just at home so far... I'm hesitant about putting a laptop and interface on stage as part of my rig. I've been thinking along the line of a mac mini running Jam origin, or finding someone to make a custom hexaphonic pickup, though it would need to be a ten string version bc I play pedal steel.

The real goal for me is to be able to trigger outboard synths, and capture the nuance, bends, and voice leading of a pedal steel. The technology probably isn't there yet but I'll have fun trying.