iGuitarWorkshop.com: Great source for RMC Hex installs

Started by carlb, June 08, 2016, 10:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlb

I want to commend the guys at iGuitarWorkshop for the complete electronics makeover they did on my Carvin SH-575 and SH-475.

I hadn't been happy with the Ghost hex setups that Carvin puts in their "synth-ready" guitars. Too much 60/120 cycle noise for high-gain and certain other patches. Gets worse when resting your palm on the bridge.

I read about RMC hex pickups (they're shielded, unlike the Ghost bridge elements), but just didn't have the time to install those into my guitars. I tried other guitars that had the RMC hex setups, but I missed the woodwork and feel of the Carvins.

A search for local installers came up with no expertise in hex synth pickups, but Brian Moore Guitars in New York has a custom shop, "iGuitar Workshop." They are more than willing to install such setups.

Their installers are experts. They took my drawings of what I wanted for repurposed controls, worked through the details with me, and did an impeccable job of a complex install:

- Seymour Duncan regular pickups,
- RMC hex pickups and electronics.
- USB output also for straight to the laptop processing/recording.

Changed the metal knobs out for gibson-esque speed knobs, and the guitars look, feel, play, and sound beautifully. No more buzzing on high-gain hex patches. Can rest my palm on the bridge again. Duncans have character than I love. USB ... well maybe I'll use that some day. :)

SH-475 RMC by Carl B, on Flickr

So, I very much recommend their work.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Elantric

Thanks for posting your positive experience with iGuitar Workshop in NY

Great looking axe!

HoosierMan

Hi Carlb,

Your guitar is one of the few semi hollows that I have seen upgraded for synth access and it looks nice.  I didn't know about iGuitarWorkshop.  I wanted to have a pro do an RMC Poly-Drive install on my semi-hollowbody guitar, but after calling one of the authorized RMC installers in my area I learned that he only worked on acoustics.  So I decided to do the install myself on my Ibanez Artcore Expressionist AM93 (similar to the smaller Gibson ES-339....but way more affordable!).  Here's a pic of the finished install.  If I have time, I may post a step by step how-to of what I did.

Chris

Autana

Quote from: chartzog on August 10, 2016, 10:10:13 AMSo I decided to do the install myself on my Ibanez Artcore Expressionist AM93 (similar to the smaller Gibson ES-339....but way more affordable!).

I love that Artcore Ibanez series, some months ago I play a AM93 like your and not detract one iota side to side with a Gibson! the neck own a deep and playable character, and body harmonic response is plenty of woody vibe,  therefore it should be excellent with RMC PD system.
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

carlb

Beautiful guitar, and congrats on getting through the RMC install! They are great hex pickups.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

HoosierMan

Ah yes, thanks.  But now I have some troubleshooting to do.  Everything worked fine initially, but while playing it and adjusting GR-55 settings today I noticed that the guitar (mag pickups) volume pot was not working.  Mag volume was maxed at 10 and would not change with turning the pot down.  (It is part of RMC's "cool circuit".)  If any of you electronics wizards have any suggestions, please send them my way!  Thanks!

HoosierMan

Problem solved:  It was just a bad volume pot.  Replaced pot.  Now it works.

Majiken

Magnetic hex pickup still tracks better, right?
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

whippinpost91850

admin

Updated RMC pickup Installers list

Most are also capable to install Roland GK-KIT-GT3 internal kits
https://www.rmcpickup.com/authorized_installers.htm