mounting a gk3 to a steinberger spirit?

Started by jeremydunit, February 21, 2016, 10:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremydunit

Just got a spirit for next to nothing and was wondering the best way to attach  a gk pickup to it. I have an xtra gk3 and want to attach it. Itternal instal would be better but have the other one here. Any ideas or pics of guitars with this already done would be a big help.
schecter hellraiser with gk3 on the bridge, gr55 and more to come!

jeremydunit

MrKleinCZ

Hello,
currently building-in GK into Steinberger Spirit - after some cuting it will fit :) .... more to come :)

MrKleinCZ

and another one - replacement of 5-way switch :)

jeremydunit

awesome. so I take it your doin away with the regular pots and pickups? lol was this hard?

MrKleinCZ

Hello, pickups are "temporary" removed because I changing them :) ... volume pot works as usual, tone is replaced by GK volume and 5way switch is replaced by 3pickup switches, GK/Mix/Gui switch and togle switch for S1,S2 and also blue LED :) ...

mooncaine

Quote from: MrKleinCZ on March 06, 2016, 10:19:24 AM
and another one - replacement of 5-way switch :)
Ooh, I want to do that. But then, I kinda don't, because the pickup doesn't line up with the strings very well. I'm thinking of slanting it the other way, so that the high e is on the end farthest from the bridge. Either way, I have to slant it too much to be within spec.

Here's how I did my Gk-2A: I made a panel from basswood (from a local craft store), covered it with a layer of thin black foam (same craft store), and Velcro'd it to the back of the guitar. The GK-2A's wart was originally just held on with black duct tape, because I was using that anyway, to hold down the cable, but i eventually drilled the panel and screwed the GK down. Used some duct tape on the back, too, to smooth out the back: it made a sort of cushion, even.

I have an external GK3 but it migrates among 2 Squier guitars; I wondered how I would fit it comfortably on my little pegleg Steinberger woodie. The GK-2A's wart is in a great place to put the switches (crappy place for a vol knob), esp. when I shimmed it up to be nearly flush with the guitar's face.

I eventually angled that panel, and the GK wart, further forward for a while. That was the best spot for the wart.

MrKleinCZ

all pickups and controlls in place.....

jeremydunit

Did that plate you have the toggel switches in come with you gk kit?

MrKleinCZ

no, it's cutted from piece of plastics....

Elantric

FWIW - plastic pickguard material is available here
http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Pickguard_Materials/

jeremydunit

Aside from making the hole a littlle bigger, did you have to do any more cutting?  What you have done looks freakin awsome.

MrKleinCZ

Yes, there are bigger hole instead of 5way switch, hole for GK connector - instead of jack and I need to cut-off part of inner edge of mounting hole to fit GK kit board (and add a hole to back cover to mount jack)