BOSS GT-001 (how do you get it to sound good?)

Started by BROCKSTAR, February 09, 2016, 05:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BROCKSTAR

So just got my gt-001 today from UPS, and been playing with it but all I can get is digital sounding crap most of the time.. I'm running guitar into gt-001 into boss sy-300 into high dollar JBL monitors and I can't get anything from this that really satisfies me... :( perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Or is it just too digital sounding all together? I think it sounds like a line 6 pod or something :\ and not something I'd really wanna record with cause of the sounds... I understand most preset patches suck from boss, but even when I go in and tweak... I'd like to know how to start from scratch, how do you do that? Seems to me Boss made this more geared to metal players...

gumtown

Try the GT-001 without the SY-300 for a start off.
dial the GT-001 input gain down from 0dB to -7dB (The GT doesn't like a hot signal into the input)
Set it's output select mode to 'line/phones'.

With both the SY-300 and GT-001 in series, you are running double amps and double cabinet sims (even though it is not obvious on the SY-300).

Maybe run the guitar to the SY-300 input, then loop from the thru to the GT-001 input, then run the GT-001 output into the SY-300 return?

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: gumtown on February 09, 2016, 06:43:14 PM
Try the GT-001 without the SY-300 for a start off.
dial the GT-001 input gain down from 0dB to -7dB (The GT doesn't like a hot signal into the input)
Set it's output select mode to 'line/phones'.

With both the SY-300 and GT-001 in series, you are running double amps and double cabinet sims (even though it is not obvious on the SY-300).

Maybe run the guitar to the SY-300 input, then loop from the thru to the GT-001 input, then run the GT-001 output into the SY-300 return?

Thank you sir, I will try those suggestions :D

BROCKSTAR

I did just that and I'm getting nothing but clean tones from the gt-001 now on all patches, they all sound the same.

gumtown

You have possibly engaged one of the 3 System/global preamps, using one of those will over-ride any patch set preamp.
Set the preamp mode back from 'system' to 'patch' (I can't remember where the setting is)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BROCKSTAR

Ok will try doing that, do that in gt-001 or sy-300?

Elantric

QuoteI did just that and I'm getting nothing but clean tones from the gt-001 now on all patches, they all sound the same.
Get a set of good headphones (Audio-Technica ATH-M50X)
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/99aff89488ddd6b1/
  - and start by learning how to use the GT-001 with only one guitar >GT-001 > Headphones

gumtown

Quote from: brockdavisson on February 10, 2016, 02:25:11 PM
Ok will try doing that, do that in gt-001 or sy-300?
\
GT-001 preamps,
the SY-300 doesn't have preamps as such, only the distortion effect with an AMP like setting,
and an output select option which shapes the output tone to suit a guitar amp or a full range flat response system (FRFR) like phones or a PA/stereo.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: Elantric on February 10, 2016, 02:29:31 PM
Get a set of good headphones (Audio-Technica ATH-M50X)
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/99aff89488ddd6b1/
  - and start by learning how to use the GT-001 with only one guitar >GT-001 > Headphones

Don't like headphones, I have a $1,500 JBL monitor set, that's good enough for me lol :P and it's pretty easy inside the program, just trying to get them going with other units is the tricky part and to get that digital harshness out.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: gumtown on February 10, 2016, 02:34:12 PM
\
GT-001 preamps,
the SY-300 doesn't have preamps as such, only the distortion effect with an AMP like setting,
and an output select option which shapes the output tone to suit a guitar amp or a full range flat response system (FRFR) like phones or a PA/stereo.

Sorry but those options don't work either...anything through the send/thru of sy-300 just makes all the patches clean from the gt-001, nothing changes.... and I did everything so far you've said :(

BROCKSTAR

Ok so I found if i go into the sy-300 and mess with the patch direct levels and patch return levels, i can hear it.... but i don't like having to do that... i want a easier way of using both together, so i guess doing what i did running guitar to gt-001 and into input of sy-300 is the only best way...

gumtown

Quote from: brockdavisson on February 10, 2016, 03:24:10 PM
Sorry but those options don't work either...anything through the send/thru of sy-300 just makes all the patches clean from the gt-001, nothing changes.... and I did everything so far you've said :(
How have you got your gear connected up?
Did you try the GT-001 on it's own without the SY-300?
If every patch in the GT-001 is clean, then the system preamp is still engaged and possibly in the 'off' state.
If the problem is only when the GT-001 is connected to the SY-300, and the GT-001 is plugged into the SY-300 return, then the SY-300 return level is not turned up (it is '0' by default).

EDIT: You answered your own question before I finished posting :-)

gumtown

An alternative is to run the GT-001 and SY-300 in parallel with a small stereo mixer to plug the GT and SY into before the powered monitors.

The GT-001 and SY-300 with 'out of the box' settings and patches are not going to suit everyone, I never use factory patches or settings, and prefer to customise every patch I use.

gumtown

If I recall there is also a global setting for the SY-300 return level too.

EDIT: No there's not, global setting for other stuff like main and sub outputs.

BROCKSTAR

running guitar straight into the gt-001 and out to jbl monitors gives me the same sound as running into gt-001 and then output into the input of sy-300 and the main outs into jbl speakers, but use the gt-001 with the sy-300 off, unless you wanna mix synth sounds with it, much better then doing all the other level controls inside the direct/return of the sy-300... but the gt-001 still has a bit of a harsh sound I may just have to get used too, or get a tube preamp to warm it up....

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: gumtown on February 10, 2016, 03:38:40 PM
An alternative is to run the GT-001 and SY-300 in parallel with a small stereo mixer to plug the GT and SY into before the powered monitors.

The GT-001 and SY-300 with 'out of the box' settings and patches are not going to suit everyone, I never use factory patches or settings, and prefer to customise every patch I use.

Yeah I know, I don't like most of the factory stuff, and I'm trying to dial in my own stuff in the gt-001 but just not having any good luck yet with anything I like etc... I know the cons and pros of digital world vs tubes etc... and I always bounce back and forth but why can't someone just make something that is like this but with a built in tube processor/preamp to make the digital part warmer...

BROCKSTAR

What if I just got an ABY type box, and put both of them in, so I can just switch to which ever unit when I want it, or blend them... could get me a Y-cord run the main out from the sy-300 into the left speaker, and another Y-cord with the main outs from gt-001 into right channel.... I guess I could always do that haha.. but I kinda wanna have both of them going into both speakers, ugh.

zoot_rollo

weird.

i was JUST programming my GT-001 last night.

i keep shaking my head about how AMAZING this thing sounds.

i have the SY-300 as well. no issues at all with the AB-Y box.

i have the patches panned L/R on both my GT-001 and GT-100 so i can get 4 independent preamp tracks in Reaper.

for a great bass preamp/cab sim, i went with the VST Cerberus.

i was looking into VST for guitar, but i keep coming back to my GTs.

kickin' it!!!

Elantric

brockdavisson wrote>
QuoteSo just got my gt-001 today from UPS, and been playing with it but all I can get is digital sounding crap most of the time..

HodshonF wrote>
Quoteweird.

i was JUST programming my GT-001 last night.

i keep shaking my head about how AMAZING this thing sounds.

i have the SY-300 as well. no issues at all with the AB-Y box.

i have the patches panned L/R on both my GT-001 and GT-100 so i can get 4 independent preamp tracks in Reaper.

for a great bass preamp/cab sim, i went with the VST Cerberus.

i was looking into VST for guitar, but i keep coming back to my GTs.

kickin' it!!!

Hodshonf, Glad to hear your positive experience - tell your friends.

Bill Ruppert also likes the GT-001
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15359.msg109673#msg109673
QuoteI love the GT-001 and hope the GT-100 is the same basic box.

PS MAN Roland/Boss has really stepped up and made these things sound great!. GP-10 as well. Just wonderful.
They are up with the best gear out there sound wise.
I can make them sound damn near exact to anything. AND very quickly.

I agree - I can make GP-10 and GT-100 sound great AND very quickly.

But everyone's Monitor speakers , computer, expectations, experience and ears  are different

In my case my worst sounding gear is an Avid Eleven Rack, all I can get is digital sounding &*^% most of the time..

BROCKSTAR

After I played around with it more it's not bad, but it's still a bit sterile/digital sounding. I haven't plugged into it or the sy-300 in a week or two since I got my vox tonelab desktop unit.. now that thing rocks. Real tube in it acting as a power amp tube, and 90% closer to a real tube amp then the boss gt-001 but im not writing the 001 off just yet...

zoot_rollo

when i start a new patch, i turn everything off and set up the preamp first.

i have "start up" patches for each of the preamps, as well as different preamp combos within the patch PANNED L/R.

i then WRITE those to other locations and edit effects, etc...

this gives me a clear starting point with the pre.

i have a strat with vintage noiseless and all the GT preamps react beautifully with this guitar.

i don't get that digital-hash hangover you are talking about. and BELIEVE ME, i have been using desktop guitar units since the '80s - now THAT was some DIGITAL POOP.

i had the Yamaha REX-50 back then. gak.

anyway, hope it works out for ya.

did you buy new? used? defective unit perhaps?

zoot_rollo

and keep in mind, the parameters for the preamps are extensive.

especially the cab and mic sims. dig deep and experiment with the EQs, Gains and Levels.

pretty powerful little box for little $$$ compared to the other stuff out there.

even the newer stuff.

BROCKSTAR

Played with it again tonight for a hour and still not satisfied, my vox tonelab desktop unit still blows it out of the water.... I'm no dummy when it comes to this stuff, I've been playing since 1992 and know what sounds good and what doesn't, at least to me.... and while this is ok in certain places, it's just not good enough. I have tweaked everything I know of and I still can't get a best tone I like out of it, I can some tones which are just OK, but ok doesn't work for me.... and I'm using a set of $1,500 JBL studio monitors, so it ain't my monitors or my ears :P as I am pretty good at getting tones and people always ask me on my videos how I get my great tones etc... but I just can't gel with this, right not or maybe never... May go out of my rig, or I may just keep it for the midi guitar part so I can use my normal guitars for my VSTi's etc...

Elantric

I still own a Tonelab SE &  LE  - and agree -those have great tones right out of the box.

Just shows everyone's ears , approach and needs and priorities are different

zoot_rollo

not doubting ya brockdavisson.

i've been doing some more programming today with my bass AND strat.

not to beat the proverbial horsie, but with the Preamps coupled with just the EQs and CAB SIMS, i am getting some incredible tones out of my GTs.

so much so, i had to take a nap.

with the Bogner pre on both A & B, i have channel A with 10" or 12" speakers, mic center and 100% level - channel B with 15", mic center and 100% level. some slight preamp EQing tailored to the speaker setting.

add some parametric and graphic EQ, a touch of reverb.

YOW!

i am using JBL LSR 5s and an LSR sub. pennies compared to your system. and i think it kicks butt!

anyway, best of luck - lots of other options out there now.

Kemper, Bias, etc...