Reaktor / GSynth2: Software Based Guitar Synthesizers

Started by drjoness2001, January 23, 2013, 10:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drjoness2001

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/reaktor-6/

While I love the VG-99, Reaktor from Native Instruments has easily as much potential as the current Roland gear.

I used the Gsynth ensemble created by Mark Smart, it is modeled after the Roland GR-300 pitch detection, and it does some really outstanding guitar synthesis. The actual oscillators, etc. are from the Reaktor tools, so it can easily be expanded to incorporate the stunning range of multi-mode oscillators, filter, etc. that are a part of Reaktor. With a little work you can create something that exceeds the power of any commercially made guitar synth.

To do this demo, I used my GK Expander breakout box, then ran the output into six inputs (one per string) of a MOTU 2408.

The tune is "Waltz" by Ferdinando Carulli, I did the performance in one pass, it is a painfully simple classical guitar composition, but had a lot of fun with manipulating the sounds in Reaktor:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/5557/

PD FX

Really super! I like that! Thanks for posting!
I've got reaktor as part of Native Elements, can I import such a script/instrument?

Elantric

Contact Mark Smart here
http://www.marksmart.net

http://www.marksmart.net/sounddesign/bysynth/reaktor/reaktor.html

A monophonic guitar synthesizer that processes audio input from an electric guitar. The tracking algorithm is based on the blindingly fast analog pitch tracker of the Roland GR-300.

drjoness2001

Quote from: Guitarpolson on January 24, 2013, 02:40:33 AM
Really super! I like that! Thanks for posting!
I've got reaktor as part of Native Elements, can I import such a script/instrument?

Notes on the Native Instruments GSynth2 (Guitar Synthesizer) created by Mark Smart:

1) The GSynth2 is monophonic: The GSynth2 ensemble works for one string only, so you will need to open six instances of Gsynth2 to create apolyphonic guitar synthesizer.

2) Where to find the GSynth2: It is not in the Reaktor user library, but you can find the Native Instruments Reaktor ensemble on Mark Smart's page dedicated to Reaktor:

http://www.marksmart.net/sounddesign/bysynth/reaktor/reaktor.html

Scroll down and you will find "Guitar Synthesizer".

3) How to set up your software: As Mark notes, this is a "monophonic guitar synthesizer that processes audio input from an electric guitar. The tracking algorithm is based on the blindingly fast analog pitch tracker of the Roland GR-300."

Since the GSynth2 is monophonic, you need to open six instances to create a polyphonic guitar synthesizer. You can do this in the Reaktor environment, or you can open multi instances in DAW software. On the software side, I open six instrument tracks in Digital Performer and insert the Reaktor plug-in on each track.

4) How to set up your hardware: On the hardware side, I use a MOTU 2408 interface, and take six outputs from the GK-Expander, and plug into the first six inputs of the 2408.

5) String Settings (Very Important!): You need to select the string type for each instance! One of the reasons that the GR-300 works so incredibly well is that each string has a specific input filter to maximize the operation of that string within a limited frequency range. In the original GR-300, this is set by the value of a capacitor in the initial input. Learn more about the GR-300 tracking system.

On the GSynth2, there is a tiny toggle in the upper left hand corner. You can set each instance for "A" or "D" etc. You need to set this correctly! If not, you will get very poor results, or it will not work at all.

The GSynth2 ensemble has a lot of cool graphics, mostly related to the operation of the pitch-tracking system. You will notice in the upper left hand side, the movement of the "adaptive filter" copied from the GR-300. This is a filter that changes value when you play on or around the 5th to 7th fret. This aids in keep the tracking accurate across the range of the neck.

You can find this information here as well: http://www.joness.com/gr300/GK-Expander.htm#gsynth

scratch17

Thanks for the info, Wayne.

OK. I think I can do this, too. I have the correct hardware: an RMC Fanout Box, and a MOTU Traveler. I also have the software; NI Komplete 8.

I'll open 6 instrument tracks in Logic Pro 9, and insert 6 instances of Reaktor loaded with GSynth2.

I do have a question.

Am I correct that each GSynth2 track outputs a MIDI signal, whose data is used to drive an instrument track running an instance of a virtual instrument?

Thanks, Steven.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

PD FX

@scratch17
This is pure non-midi as fasrt as I can tell
Thanks everybody for the great info, I will dive in to it someday!

scratch17

Quote@scratch17
This is pure non-midi as fasrt as I can tell
Thanks everybody for the great info, I will dive in to it someday!

So if the GSynth2 output is audio, how do you feed a soft synth?
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

PD FX

Quote from: scratch17 on January 25, 2013, 08:13:56 AM
So if the GSynth2 output is audio, how do you feed a soft synth?
The gr300 detects the crossovers from your waveform, and creates a triangular wave out of it, then this passes through some flitering.. there is no midi involved, it is a trick to convert your sinusoide guitartone in something else...
The gsynth works simular, you wont to be able to steer a softsynth with it.
For that you can use e.g. Jam Origins Midi Guitar, if you havent got a guitarsynth allready.

drjoness2001

Quote from: scratch17 on January 24, 2013, 10:06:40 AM
Thanks for the info, Wayne.

OK. I think I can do this, too. I have the correct hardware: an RMC Fanout Box, and a MOTU Traveler. I also have the software; NI Komplete 8.

I'll open 6 instrument tracks in Logic Pro 9, and insert 6 instances of Reaktor loaded with GSynth2.

I do have a question.

Am I correct that each GSynth2 track outputs a MIDI signal, whose data is used to drive an instrument track running an instance of a virtual instrument?

Thanks, Steven.

Incorrect sir, the GSynth2 does not output a MIDI signal, it outputs audio. It's like a hybrid software version of the GR-300.

If you are a Reaktor geek, you can edit the ensemble and easily get to the oscillators and make your own modification, like LFO drive pulse width modulation, etc.

Jim Williams

Here is a small plugin that will help a polyphonic system work on VSTI's that only receive on one Chanel and is useful for all kinds of guitar synth applications.
http://evenharmonic.com/hmt1

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Elantric

Gaustu wrote>

Here is my custom Reaktor ensemble for processing of separate 6

See attached for "Hexa2.1.zip"