Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Apple IOS Mobile Music Tools / Re: iOS11 - Audio Latency
« Last post by jassy on Today at 03:24:13 AM »
Should you desire to maintain that low latency , speedy performance,I  suggest avoid upgrading to IOS 11
Yes of course im avoiding it in my Iphone and Ipad.
But Apple insists hammering again and again, despite the fact that I have deactivated the warnings and that I delete the IOS 11 update file every time as you suggestetd.
Its very frustrating that every time the update window jumps in front of my screen, a simple touch in the wrong place and goodbye, it will be irremediably updated. Very scary!.
Not to mention the fact that the programmed obsolescence in the Apple ecosystem is one of the fastest: soon the programs and accessories are not compatible with previous versions of IOS as it happens in some updates of my programs that I could not install due to that only supported IOS 11.
General Discussion / Re: Gibson shutters Cakewalk and Sonar
« Last post by gumbo on Today at 03:08:15 AM »

....and I decided to quit the automobile industry and become a musician..

+1

;D
I use a different trick as I want more than 3 available loops, not less, but depending on how you like to work this may work for you.

I typically have a bass line on loop 1, and then an melody/chord progression/ambient noodley thingy on loops 2&3. I have a few FS5's that I use to select different drum patterns, and I turn the machine on/off with my big toe (there is a really good reason I play bare footed). As long as I have a loop active the drums will continue.

So I'll typically stop Loops 1 & 2, and have the Loop 3 fade out with a simple hihat pattern on the drum machine. While it fades, I'll delete Loop 1. I'll then hit record on Loop 1 while I play something or other and meantime clear loops 2 and 3. Then when I'm ready to record a loop to start the next thing, I'll hit stop on beat 2 or 3 and then start recording into loop 3. Loop 1 won't stop recording till the end of the bar, but then it will STOP, not PLAY. Meanwhile, Loop 3 can't start recording until the start of the bar, so pressing the button early isn't a worry. Whilst recording Loop 3, you have plenty of time to delete Loop 1, leaving you with Loop 3 in progress and ready to make the thing!

The only down side I see to this is you can't hard stop all 3 loops at once, but I never really want to do that anyway. I like having a bit of ambience behind everything that can keep on noodling away....
« Last post by Elantric on Yesterday at 08:41:30 PM »
Should you desire to maintain that low latency , speedy performance,I  suggest avoid upgrading to IOS 11
« Last post by jassy on Yesterday at 08:02:34 PM »
I finally received the Ipad Pro 10.5 256 gb tested it with several music apps and the results are totally amazing. Fortunately it came with IOS 10.3.
Its my number 4 Ipad and its the first time that I feel that all that Apple cpu hype is real, finally it can be compared with a real computer.
Normally with my previous Ipads, even the latest pro 9.7 128 gb I had the feeling that the power of the cpu was very limited, it was enough to use a Bias or Pod or Yonac guitar processor at the same time as Midi Guitar and some synth to finish listening soon clicks and unwanted noises.
Now, finally, things seem to have changed, a lot:
in a test I had 4 synthesizers at the same time, Alchemy (inside garageband) + Module + Photophore + Magellan, all playing simultaneously with Midi Guitar in addition to processing the guitar with Bias FX or Pod and not a single click pop or suspicious noise and all at the lowest latency (64 samples)
Im really surprised and amazed this time.
There is no need to upgrade your operating system 128 gb ssd.  For Omnisphere you can just put your sound library, a STEAM folder of about 60 gb, on your 2 TB hard drive.

Actually if you use a mechanical Drive during live performance with other musicians you do run the risk of a HDD head crash if you should place computer on stage or vibrating drum riser on a vibrating stage - solution is use foam rubber underneath the laptop
There is no need to upgrade your operating system 128 gb ssd.  For Omnisphere you can just put your sound library, a STEAM folder of about 60 gb, on your 2 TB hard drive.
New Gear Deals / Re: Deal Alert Thread
« Last post by Elantric on Yesterday at 05:33:52 PM »
JReff: I got my TriplePlay a few months ago, and also bought a PC laptop with i7-Quad Core, 16Gb RAM, 128 Gb SSD and 2Tb Hard drive. Today, I know that (for me), it's a minimum. I don't regret it a a bit.

What is your specific Computer  make / model / year ?
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9799/best-ssds
General Discussion / Re: Gibson shutters Cakewalk and Sonar
« Last post by Majiken on Yesterday at 04:26:09 PM »
BTW: While on my rant I will add that GM killed Saab. Thanks goodness they didn't own enough of Subaru to take them down too. :-)
That would be Isuzu
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Motors

As a former Opel/GM/Isuzu employee, I have to correct this:  1. Saab killed itself, GM didn't even own it when it finally went down.  I was a Purchasing manager, and can't forget one time when I was at the Saab assembly line in Trollhätten, stunned to see workers fooling around and smoking instead of working on cars- and no, it wasn't break time.  There were a lot of good people there, many of whom went on to Volvo, but Saab was at the wheel for its own demise.  2. My last "GM" job was as Vice President-Purchasing for the European arm of the GM/Isuzu Diesel JV- Isuzu is/was great at commercial vehicles, but most assuredly not for passenger cars (for anything outside of the mainstream like Toyota & co. Japanese styling is very much acquired taste).  If you look at the Wikipedia article, Isuzu profited from the GM sales and support base in the US.  GM profited from Isuzu's diesel knowhow for many years; for a long time the bonds were primarily financial, and GM only stepped in with higher control when Isuzu was hemorraghing so badly that it became life-threatening.  We turned a lot around, at the same time regaining diesel knowhow through the shortlived JV with Fiat; Isuzu turned toward increased diesel cooperation with Toyota, the IP issues between GM and Toyota were problematical, so GM and Isuzu parted company (and I decided to quit the automobile industry and become a musician  :o).  Isuzu is still around, still can't get passenger cars right, not even in Japan, but their footprint is in commercial.  GM made a lot of mistakes, IMHO their bankruptcy was the fault of the CEO at the time Rick Wagoner, who was a finance guy(!).  Surely there were a lot of questionable decisions in the past, but from front-line experience I can firmly state that Saab and Isuzu were/are the masters of their own destiny.

Back to the subject!  My first real CD productions in 2008/9 were done on a Boss BR 1600 CD.  After that I produced several CDs using a version of Sonar that came with my Roland Sonic Cell, which I really enjoyed and wasn't interested in changing until I got a Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2 and started using Studio One.  Haven't upgraded (yet) or changed, as I mainly do simple grassroots audio recording with minimal MIDI.  I always did see Sonar as a viable alternative, I guess it isn't anymore..... 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10