SY-300 - Why so few patches

Started by sleidia, May 04, 2016, 04:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

I have to say that I've still yet to hear anything that makes me think "I need to get one of those" It's a pretty big ticket item at the end of the day.

I remember seeing the VG99 demos Gundy did and some of the sounds and it sold me straight away. It did take me a long time to get into programming though - it was only when I got into the PC editor I started messing around proper and even then only on the backs of people like Aliensporebomb.

But even the pro demos for the SY300 leave me cold - maybe it's because I can see ways of getting mostly what I want with the VG I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm waiting for the one killer EHX synth9 pedal. I honestly don't know. I know I'm actively bidding on S/H GP-10s at the mo as can see that a) expanding my sonic palette dramatically and b) providing a near FTP midi performance over the VG. But I'm always behind the curve these days....Maybe everyone's taking the Bill Rupert approach to patch sharing! :)

Elantric

QuoteI know I'm actively bidding on S/H GP-10s at the mo as can see that a) expanding my sonic palette dramatically and b) providing a near FTP midi performance over the VG.

The Boss GP-10 on Windows PC performs Guitar to MIDi roughly same speed as a GR-55.   
Know that due to the Roland / Boss USB Audio  / MIDI Driver being far more efficient on OSX, that "near FTP midi performance " only occurs when GP-10 is connected via USB to a Mac running OSX with Core Audio.

Another path is using CodeSmart's MIDX-10 USB to MIDI converter, and that allows GP-10 to drive hardware MIDI Tone modules.

jassy

About Roland driver efficiency in windows:
I was very positively surprised with the Sy300 windows driver. I was able to run at very low latency without any trouble (and not cpu spikes like the GR55/VG99 drivers) while using it like an audio card.  My feel was that windows drivers were much improved over the previous. So if the GP10 driver is so poor maybe it would be better in a future version.
Sadly I returned the SY300 (never done that before with any other Roland product), despite how much I wanted to like it, because the sounds it offered were too poor for my taste, too dirty and buzzy, I could not find the expected synthesizer sound and it was not a cheap unit at all.
I have a feeling it will not be a success this device and I hope Im wrong because I want to try the next incarnation.

Smash

Quote from: Elantric on May 24, 2016, 07:39:26 AM
Another path is using CodeSmart's MIDX-10 USB to MIDI converter, and that allows GP-10 to drive hardware MIDI Tone modules.

^ This is what I was thinking - maybe with a JV5050I just need to be patient whilst CodeSmart produces another batch.

Never really been an apple fan but I have noticed a lot of you guys having great success with ipads and softsynths. Out of curiosity, what would be minimal spec ipad capable of providing reliable synth live? (you can see I'm already thinking of my coffers!)

Elantric

Smash

Thanks man - not too bad price wise on ebay in UK. I seem to have a serious case of G.A.S. at the moment! (some might say I always have a gas problem!)