SY-300 - I/O Connection scenarios

Started by mchad, April 18, 2015, 05:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

The SY-300  FX Loop location is fixed  - being fed on the front input / non moveable

If you want to most dynamic touch response for the OSC Synths, the SY-300 should be the first thing in your guitar's entire FX the signal chain, but if you insert a compressor in front of the SY-300, you will get smoother uniform sustain with the Synth String Pad Presets

Observe where the SY-300's Loop RTN (Return) point mixes back into the signal flow - after the OSCs

But there are no rules! 

Recently at Thomas Nordegg's TimeSpeed Studio,
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10539.msg76175#msg76175

myself and the RevPad team used the SY-300 in the FX loop of the RevPad Multi-FX Floor box (with Analog Distortion and DSP FX + movable external FX Loop &  wireless guitar mounted wireless touch controller)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15080.0

- and inserted the SY-300 in the RevPad's FX Loop - and could place the SY-300 anywhere in the Signal chain - with great results 

- completely wireless with a Line-6 G50 Relay

They are in LA all week demonstrating this same system for industry pros

For more details about the REVPAD :
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15080.0

http://www.gtcsound.com

szilard

I've tried a number of guitars with the SY-300: Am Std Strat, Godin LGXT, and Godin ACS. I have Joe Barden Pups in the Strat and the mid range cut in those is noticable using the SY-300 so I can see people using a graphic eq in front of the SY-300 as well.

Elantric

No rules for SY-300 connections -  If it sounds good, it is good!

chrish

I've had the sy-300 for several weeks now and i'm getting spoiled with the responce time and feel. Right now i have a studio set up with everything going into the mixer and a send going to the sy-300. When my trio was out playing, both myself and the other synth guitar player had line mixers going to the main board so the studio sound was not much different than our live sound. I'm enjoying sending the processed guitar signal along with the vg-8 signal into the sy-300. For example, I have a patch on the vg8 that is a les paul dropped an octive. When that hits the sy300 (and no dry direct bass signal is heard), the sound of the sy 300 is huge. Or hit a sy300 pad with the vg vio guitar, and the sy takes on the charector of the vio patch. This box is amazing. What i really would like to hear is what you cello and violinists do with it.

pebo69

You really need to run it into a good quality powered PA speaker to use it live.  Some of the complaints we have been hearing such as "it sounds like a bunch of crappy organs with effects" IMHO is a result of running it through a standard guitar amp. I tried a bunch out and settled on a 1000 watt EV 12 two-way.  I use this with my regular tube guitar amp for amplifying the guitar and it sounds great when blended with a full frequency speaker.

caglarseri

admin

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/23070950/

QuoteI also had a Gt-100 and SY-300 but the two together were just to big for my taste. I sold the Gt-100. I just picked up a GT1 and its perfect along side the sy-300 (mine also sat for a bit but is now fully back in use).

My current Routing is Guitar -> Sy-300, SY300 thru -> GT1 Input, GT1 Output to amp. SY-300 Stereo out into Small M-Audio powered monitors. (the sy-300 sounds much better in stereo than thru my amp). So far Im liking this setup.

tbeltrans

Since I bought a bunch of gear within a very short period of time, I want to isolate the various pieces so I learn how they sound, what they can do, and how to make them do it.  When I read, in any thread (not just this one), about these large setups, I wonder what music you are making with it all.  The reason I ask that is because I have the gear to make a big setup too, but it all seems overwhelming to me, so my question is out of curiosity more than anything else.

In the context of this thread...

I am using an Acoustic Image Coda R amplifier.  It is a wonderful, hi fidelity amp that sits midway between a bass and a guitar amp, but much wider response than either.  It has two channels.  The guitar I am using with it right now is my Godin Multiac Encore 7 string.  My Godin Multiac ACS SA connects to my GR-55, but the 7 string does not.  The SY-300 seems to do well with all 7 strings on the 7 string guitar.  I like the sound of the SY-300 with nylon strings.

The 7 string goes into the SY-300.  The SY-300 Thru goes into a Digitech Trio+, which then goes to a channel on the Acoustic Image amp.  The mono audio output on the SY-300 goes into the other channel on the Acoustic Image.  I have a lot of control over the volume of the SY-300 vs the Digitech Trio+, which really helps create the overall sound I want to hear.

I have only played a bit with this setup so far, but it works very well.  In this setup, the SY-300 adds a little extra something to the guitar, rather than being the main instrument.  Not all patches will work in this setting, but enough do to keep it interesting.  I will be learning to create patches soon enough, and I will be going for those that work in this setting with the guitar - more subtle than bold, as flavoring of the guitar tone.

This is a simple setup that sounds good, provides my straight guitar sound, bass and drums in a variety of styles, and everything the SY-300 can do.  Later, I can start adding other goodies to the mix a bit at a time so as not to get overwhelmed.  the main thing for me, is to keep in mind what I am trying to accomplish musically beyond having a big "train set" to play with.

Tony