Bass Amp & VG99

Started by Weed_, May 08, 2014, 03:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weed_

Hey there!

Lately I´ve been playing my bass a lot and just join a band for the first time in the roll of a bass player. I´ve got some very good sounds set up on my vg-99 for bass using normal PUs, and am planing to use it live. Now, my question is:
Should I buy a Bass amp for the gigs, or should I buy some sort of PA speaker and run simulations of the amp, and hear the same thing that people in front will hear?? I am planing to run the signal from vg-99 to sound guy.
Is there any PA speaker that I could use for sessions and practicing with band instead of actual bass amp, or would it be better idea to buy bass amp?
Also, I am still looking for good PA speakers for my solo loop project, where I make beats on fly, use bass, synth and normal guitar out of vg-99 + macbook. Could I maybe use the bass amp for this? Since we are always talking about FRFR, most modern bass amps are between 35-18khz.
I am tight on a budget and would really like to find one all-round solution for vg-99 and everything from beats to guitar.

Thanks!

bassman4d521

Are you planning on using a powered PA speaker?

Weed_

Yes! Either a really powerful PA speaker or real bass amp.

Elantric

Weed_

Thanks, but will any of them work well as the bass amp??

Elantric

I use Sony MDR-7506 headphones, and I can dial in great Acoustic guitar sounds from the GR-55 or VG-99.
Bottom line its "garbage in = garbage out" - if you have bad sound in your Headphones   - then no external amp is going to make it sound better.       

Human hearing range is 20-20Khz frequency response.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range

The best amplification systems will have flat response 20-20kHz freq. response speakers and lots of headroom(= watts!) , to support the VG/GR Synths.

A good test for any amp is bring your  iPod and play back some of your favorite pre-recorded music you know  well - and see how that translates on the AMP under review.

If you only do electric guitar modeling then a system with 80-8kHz frequency response works, but Acoustic guitars , Synths , BAss,work best with flat 20-20kHz  frequency response.

Old school "pre 1980s" Bass rigs had 30-8kHz range, modern bass rigs with HF Horn tweeters extend this range to 20kHz 

I suggest try several Bass amps using the test methods stated above.