Latest on 13-Pin Cable Sources?

Started by carlb, March 16, 2009, 10:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Krebs

At a gig two weeks ago a gentlemen came up to the stage and asked if I still played "Take Five" by Brubek. This was in a place full of pretty young people drinking and dancing etc...He produced a 100 dollar bill and said he did not give a "blank" about what anyone else in the place thought and demanded that we play it. After we played the tune we went right back to "Jenny Jenny-Born On The Bayou-Funky Music White Boy-Plush-Semi Charmed Life-Santeria-Corazon Espinado-Oye Como Va-Fast As You etc...Taking that little u-turn into modal jazz land was kind of cool and a nice tip is always appreciated. My portion was almost enough to pay for a new GK cable! Lather-Rinse-Repeat...

CodeSmart

Hi, I made 50 pcs 1-meter GK-cables for my GKMX-42 project, so now I probably have more cables than required for the sales of boxes. If you need SHORT cable(s) to a fair price just let me know by emailing sound@primova.se. I'm in Europe/Sweden.

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

mdortona

Jim Williams

They should work fine..... when I used a GR-33 I bought a non-Roland 13 pin cable and it worked good, but it was so much fatter than a Roland cable.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

datsunrobbie

You may wish to check out these two threads. If buying a non-Roland cable, be sure to check the pin-out before use. Incorrect wiring could fry your gear

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1584.msg21579#msg21579

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72.msg59322#msg59322

gumbo

Hi Matt..

the first ebay one in your post will work..  although the cable is thinner than the Roland one

the second one quite probably not..as pinouts can be a problem with that source, so it has been said..

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

DeRigueur

Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

mdortona

Thanks for the responses guys! I got a bit paranoid about the aftermarket cables and just bit the bullet and ordered a Roland cable from Sweetwater. However, I plan to order one of the others recommended to have as a spare. Love this forum!

Matt

Ingesecition

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLAND-PLANET-WAVES-13-Pin-Guitar-Synth-Midi-Cable-BNIB_W0QQitemZ280382337010QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414816eff2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

These cables selling for $25 and listed as "ROLAND PLANET WAVES 13-Pin Guitar Synth Midi Cable BNIB" clearly show a nice locking 13 Pin plug. I just received the 2 sets I ordered and they come with no packaging what-so-ever and they do not have the locking plugs shown in the photo. They look like cheap OEM versions.

To make it worse... you can insert the plug into VG-99 but it takes considerably more pressure to do so. You simply can't insert it into the GK-3 side since the outer shell of this plug seems to be fatter than the original one.

I sent the seller a question about this and I expect a full refund but in any case I wanted to warn other newbies like me who might go after spare cables.

All the best.

BTPA USA

We have finally gotten everything together to offer this 13 pin cable and meet out quality standards. We have designed our very own cable, that is flexible, durable, and lays/coils nicely! We have taken the locking connector and reinforced it for a longer life! Plus, we make everything custom to order. This means you get to decide whatever cable length you want. 10ft, 17.25ft, 1 meter, etc. and the cable will be made.
http://btpa.com/13-Pin-Midi/
Best-Tronics Pro Audio (BTPA)
Custom Audio Cables - 100% Made in USA
Artist Relations / V.P. of Audio
BTPA

Facebook

merman93

I highly recommend cabling from BTPA.com !!!
I have other custom cabling from them, and their quality is impeccable.

They also sell the best Right Angle Midi cable too. Just received several today to work into my pedal board. The pins within the Switchcraft connector are also adjustable to 8 different positions. Perfect!
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

CodeSmart

Just received a new load of Short 13-Pin Cables 1-meter (3.3ft) .
GOLD plated contacts, 13 wire straight through 28AWG+AL+braid (64 bare copper).

US price/cable  $21 (INCLUDES SHIPPING TO U.S.)
EU price/cable  €19 (INCLUDES SHIPPING IN EU AND V.A.T.)
Email sound@primova.se if interested.
I'm in Sweden.

scratch17

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Elantric

http://www.sonicstate.com/amped/2014/07/10/high-quality-13-pin-cable/

New from NAMM.

Details here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11243.0

For anyone who uses hexaphonic pickups, Gittler Instruments tells us that they have designed and built a new superior Din 13 cable, the D13, in response to the lack of a high quality version on today's retail market. Their cables are available in 12 ft. and 18 ft. lengths.

Features:
High Purity OFHC Copper 99.95%
External Cable: 2.256" Dia.
Internal wire: 26 AWG, 13 different colored jackets
Aluminum Shielding braid
One end right angle, locking, assembly type
One end straight, locking, assembly type
Grounded to barrel
All Pins Gold plated

Pricing and Availability:

$64.95 / $79.95

merman93

I'm splitting post to get images in,..
Pics of different connectors, roland, planet waves, best tronics.
The Best Tronics and Roland/retail, have smaller connectors than the Planet Waves, and Roland/packaged with unit cables.

The Best-Tronics and Planet Waves appear to have better sheilding, but I'm not cutting to verify. I only use my Piezo guitars with these as there is noticible reduction in noise. I also notice the single coils have more 60 cycle on the Roland cables.

Their is no connection cut out noise whatsoever on the Planet Waves and Best-Tronics cables. That is what was so annoying about using the standard Roland cables, moving around or shifting the guitar on certain patches caused clicking and popping.

Really interested in hearing review on Gittler cable. I'm hesitant to spend $120.00, but if it is noticible better, I'll get one.

In picture, Roland from GR-55, Roland Retail, Best Tronics, Planet Waves.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

merman93

Continued, from top, Planet Waves, Best-Tronics, Roland cable included with gr-55, and retail package.

Currently, the 15 ft Roland sells for $50.00, the custom ordered 10 ft Best-Tronics was $52.00, and the NOS Planet Waves 10 ft was $41.00, ( can't remember how much I paid for the other Planet Waves I bought when they were still selling them but I thought they were more than Roland). The Best-Tronics is custom sized, so a 15 or 30 foot is not much more.

Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

fokof

Got two cables from BTPA , very nice!

Very Solid , locking is very secure , less flexible than other , haven't notice sound difference but just for the custom length and good locking tab , worth it.

Got a 6' and a 20'

I also have a couple from Roland and from Carvin , they'll probably become my "Go for" cables.

pappywatts

For anyone who uses hexaphonic pickups, Gittler Instruments tells us that they have designed and built a new superior Din 13 cable, the D13, in response to the lack of a high quality version on today's retail market. Their cables are available in 12 ft. and 18 ft. lengths.

Features:
High Purity OFHC Copper 99.95%
External Cable: 2.256" Dia.
Internal wire: 26 AWG, 13 different colored jackets
Aluminum Shielding braid
One end right angle, locking, assembly type
One end straight, locking, assembly type
Grounded to barrel
All Pins Gold plated

Pricing and Availability:

$64.95 / $79.95

Well, I looked at all the others, and went for one of the Gittler's, I'd made a right angle 13 pin cable years ago from an old Kenwood car lead removable plug cover, and modified a Roland oem lead with it however the locking tab was a bit iffy when reconstructed, but has given good service,it was getting a bit worn, this newish one from Gittler, has slightly shorter plug barrels and appears to be well constructed and solid..time will tell... a very quick delivery from NY state to UK,and well packaged.
Yeah I got one of those Smart phones, trouble is it's smarter than the owner....

Variax Kit:JTV69 +GK3,JTV59P +GK2a.
Carvin SH575, Fender Strat USA Roland Ready, Godin ACSA Multiac Nylon usb model.
GR55,GR30,GP-10, VGA7,Baggs Acoustic Reference, Zinky Green Velveteen 18w,JTM45 Head.Yamaha DXR10

Elantric

Below is what the official  D'addario Planet Waves GK 13 pin cable in its original package looked like:

aliensporebomb

Even the Manufacturers didn't seem to realize that they aren't MIDI cables!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Wallbagner123

Hi All,
Iv'e just ordered a 15' 13 pin cable from sweetwater in the u.s  they have a 15'  and a 30' cable, and they can ship  international.
A bit pricy !  but  its a roland product!!  what the Hell!  i figure that its worth spending  a bit of money to get a spare cable! and peace of mind!.

I was able to make a phone order on the spot!  and i liked the way they offer their technical services.

Cheers
jean-pierre

Elantric

CodeSmart

FWIW I now have a number of 2 meter gold plated GK cables perfect for connecting your GK units together in cases when my shorter 1 meter patch cable is too short. Price 150 SEK / 20 USD each + stamps. The cable is a little bit stiffer than Roland cables, but as said for rack or unit connections it's perfect.

I have sent out abt. 100 pcs one meter cables from this maker during the last year without a single known failure. They seem to have a bullet proof testing procedure.

www.primovasound.com

Pete1959

I purchased 2 Gittler cables (12 foot)
Codesmart's short 1 meter cables are also excellent and bought 3 of them

My Roland cables have been put away since getting the Gittlers.
Thanks for the advice as I would never have discovered them if t weren't for this forum.

Ekus

I bought a cable from http://stores.ebay.com/detaudio/ and it was a $18 for 10ft. Someone else on this forum had reccomended it and they were right (sorry I forgot who you were and didn't find the post). I was pleasantly surprised compared to the $55 15ft roland cable I got from Sweetwater.  This new cable was lighter but much quieter, and had a much better locking connection on my guitar and GP-10.  I just ordered a second for a backup in case of emergency while I'm out on the road doing gigs. But so far this cable has been fantastic.
Godin Koa XTsa, Alesis Alpha 112, Pro Tools 11