Electro-Voice ELX112p (an entirely unscientific review)

Started by mbenigni, April 03, 2012, 12:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

Since there are two separate input gain controls, I was wondering if splitting your input signal & feeding it to both Input 1 & Input 2 would be a way to increase volume. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

Worth a try 
but I recall I tried that with mine, but didn't observe much difference when using an external  Y cord to feed Channel # 1 and Channel #2 at once from  same signal source 

shawnb

After a few weeks of usage, I am now EXTREMELY happy with the results.  A couple of notes on settings I'd like to share:
  • EQ (flat or notch/'boost'):  Contrary to their recommendation, I think this should be FLAT when used as an instrument amp.  'Boost' is like the old 'loudness' switch, it bumps UP the low bass & treble, unnecessarily adding hiss.   This is not noticeable at low volume, but is noticeable at playing volume.  The FLAT setting removes that hiss, and is a lot more natural & warm.   The 'Boost' setting (depicted as a notch) is OK for some highly compressed audio, e.g., iPod usage.

• Mic/Line Switch:  If you find you must turn your level knobs all the way up to +6 for acceptable volume, set this to Mic instead and use Input #2 and roll back on the levels.    Think of the Mic switch as a +20db switch.  You must be more vigilant about the volume you send into the unit and the 'limit' indicator.
  • Loudspeaker Level & Input Level:  Very important to ease off & not go fully clockwise here to +6.  If you find you need to, experiment with the Mic/Line at Mic and the Levels at 12:00, straight up.  This effectively eliminates hiss & results in a much warmer & more natural sound.
  • Full Range/With Sub:  Per instructions.  I've read in other forums to set this to 'With Sub' even when you don't have a sub.  The thinking is this frees up power for mids & highs & provides clarity & a lot more volume. Given the crossover is a fairly high 100Hz, I disagree.  If you use a guitar synth, this needs to be Full Range.  (With Sub might be worth trying as a quick fix if you find yourself competing with the bassist or keyboards.)

In short, if you are using a LINE level input signal, and you find you need to turn levels up to max to get sufficient volume (either at the source or on the back panel), use MIC on Input #2 instead and set the levels straight up to 12:00 (+0).   

They muffed up the line-in level.  Fortunately you can work around it to get the level you want without hiss.

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

Shawn
Excellent post on the best settings for  ELX112P

Will try here!

Thanks!

mbenigni

QuoteIn short, if you are using a LINE level input signal, and you find you need to turn levels up to max to get sufficient volume (either at the source or on the back panel), use MIC on Input #2 instead and set the levels straight up to 12:00 (+0).

Well, if this isn't the story of my life...  My ELX was a B-stock item, and a few weeks after it arrived I noticed that the mic/line switch didn't work.  (It won't engage, and always reverts to the line setting.)  I thought about sending it back, but I was a little lazy about it and time got away from me and I finally just said, "Meh, I'll probably always use it for line level anyway."  Then this.  At some point I'm going to have to take that back panel off and see how difficult it would be to replace the switch.

shawnb

Quote from: mbenigni on February 09, 2015, 07:23:47 AM...the mic/line switch didn't work.  (It won't engage, and always reverts to the line setting.)

Just checking...   The MIC/LINE switch cannot be depressed using your finger.  You MUST use something with a long tip such as a pen or paperclip to get that button in all the way until you hear a firm click.   It must be depressed well below 'surface level'. 

mbenigni

Quote from: shawnb on February 09, 2015, 08:59:14 AM
Just checking...   The MIC/LINE switch cannot be depressed using your finger.  You MUST use something with a long tip such as a pen or paperclip to get that button in all the way until you hear a firm click.   It must be depressed well below 'surface level'.

Thanks, Shawn. I have tried to press it in deeper with a pen, but perhaps not hard enough.  If that's all there is to it I'll owe you one.  :)  Will test when I get home.

I guess it makes sense: you wouldn't want that switch to fire an extra 20db unexpectedly at full volume.

EDIT:  Tested, and yup, it's fine.  Embarrassed and relieved.  Thanks, Shawn!

Beynon5

Ooof those Altos aren't for me (way too thin for pianos etc).

The ones I'm using now are the FBT J12s - Lightweight and warm enough for my piano sounds :)

I guess horses for courses as to what sounds you want - The EVs I tried too and were pretty good!

Working in a music shop helps being able to try out the GR with a load of pa amps haha

Pete1959

I bought a pair of Electro Voice ZLX12 powered speakers.

http://www.electrovoice.com/zlx/powered.php

My experience initially was that I was not impressed however after tweaking my GP-10, I prefer the sound versus my previous Peavey PV10 speakers and Behringer power amp.

Just wondering if anyone else has been using them.

Cam Grant

greetings...I've just started a Tom Petty tribute and i've been using the VG99 for years (with GK guitars).. but with a Petty tribute, you cant be pulling all the Ricky and Tele tones from GK unit, and expect the crowd to buy it... So, i got myself a Ricky 360 (6 string) and a Tele, just like Toms..and the VOX AC15 tube amp...
Now the cool part: because i cant (or wont) put a GK pickup on either the Rick or Tele, ive designed all my patches as MAGNETIC pickup tones...and here's my way of getting the most out of the VG99... I connect the LEFT output to the VOX amp (set clean, of course) and the RIGHT output goes straight to the PA (and i have a full range powered mackie for onstage.
Then, each patch is setup to compliment its destination, with whatever FX i need, and with the amp models, i'm able to get a massive full sound from the two distinct sources... If the VOX seems a little thin to the soundman, he can always turn the PA direct signal up, and warm up the sound... also, i can plug my acoustic in the same path, with just a little more level going to the PA send then the amp, y'know?
Call me crazy, just dont call me late to dinner.
GT1000-CORE, VG-99, VG-88 , Custom GK loaded Strats, & Teles. Taylor Acoustic, Rickenbacker 330, Rickenbacker 620,VOX AC15, AC10.

shawnb

A follow-up...

As much as I love the warmth and power of the ELX112Ps, another one blew.  It wasn't even going that hard, it just got fizzier & fizzier, now it's a unique sounding white noise synth.

This is the 2nd one.  So, 2 for 2, both units I've purchased have needed repair within one year of purchase.   

I've been trying now to figure out how to get it serviced...   Still under warranty, but the Bosch site is a mess for returns/repairs...

(For the record, given my setup, I don't need to use the Mic setting described above - I leave it set to line.)

Elantric

As an update, I replaced mine with a pair of QSC K10.2 - much louder, smoother, easier to transport

admin_shawnb

Pricier, too, though.

I still use my ELX112Ps for my current SY-1000/GM-800 rig.  I still feel that wood cabinet has a nice balance of loud & crisp & warm.