Roland CUBE-80XL

Started by mikelara, December 31, 2011, 08:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham G

Quote from: Elantric on April 29, 2015, 06:18:06 AM
Thanks for the reminder

If the Aux in is what you prefer, you must mic the Cube 80XL at a gig

Since the Cube 80XL's Aux in employs 3.5mm type jack and 20 foot 3.5mm cables are often junk, and some rooms do need minor EQ  - I do the following

To get the Cube 80XL the loudest SPL, use the Mono Left out from the GT-100/GR-55/VG-99/GP-10 and feed the  "top" Guitar Input on Cube 80XL and set to the Channel select to "JC Clean" channel and leave it there.   I set the Cube 80XL's JC Clean Volume at 10:00 o'clock, and set the EQ all at 12"00 o'clock (flat) as a starting point then use the Output Level control on the GT-100/GR-55/VG-99/GP-10  to set the volume, and use minor EQ adjust on the Cube80XL to suit the room

And I use my remote footswitch switch for the Cube 80XL's built "Solo Boost" and toggle  Reverbs and Delay as needed  - works for me.
This also feeds the Line Out to a D.I.

I should clear up how i'm using the GT100 into the Cubes,I'm going L/R out from GT100 into Aux In on each Cube(mono 3.5 Jack).
Which means i have no Line Out from the Cubes,because i'm using Aux In.
When I posted my intention to use the Phones out into our Mixer,i meant the GT100 Phones out,not the Cube Phones out,sorry for the confusion.
Elantric,i have been using the Cubes clean channel in the way you advised earlier in the thread,but i do find the using the Aux In to bypass the Cubes pre-amp stages,gives me a better/cleaner sound.
The problem is the stage sound is a bit loud so I have lowered the patch level to compensate,which does compress the patch a little,but overall i prefer the sound  by-passing the Cubes pre-amps.
I'm thinking about buying one of the ARTsplit 4's you suggested in a previous post,so i can run the patch at 100% level & attenuate the volume with the ART.
All of these posts about how to get the best results from Roland COSM products,in terms of amplification,has me puzzled why ROLAND don't market a definitive solution for the GT100's etc to plug into(for stage use).
Cheers,Graham.

Elantric

At the time of the Boss GT-10, at NAMM shows Roland reps were advocating using the Roland SA300 amp for VG-99, and Boss GT COSM Procesdors.

But the $1100 street price killed the SA300
http://www.roland.com/products/sa-300/
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14821.msg5175#msg5175l]

Lately I play many gigs as a three piece and use a Cube Street EX

Graham G

Quote from: Elantric on April 30, 2015, 08:06:57 AM
At the time of the Boss GT-10, at NAMM shows Roland reps were advocating using the Roland SA300 amp for VG-99, and Boss GT COSM Procesdors.

But the $1100 street price killed the SA300
http://www.roland.com/products/sa-300/
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14821.msg5175#msg5175

Lately I play many gigs as a three piece and use a Cube Street EX

I was thinking of something more basic for the average gigging guitar player(of which there are millions ;D),just plug in your GT100(or whatever)set the volume knob to the required level & play,easy peasy.
Cheers,Graham.

Elantric

QuoteI was thinking of something more basic for the average gigging guitar player(of which there are millions ;D),just plug in your GT100(or whatever)set the volume knob to the required level & play,easy peasy.
Cheers,Graham.

Today - that would be the  Cube Street EX  = 50 watts stereo Direct Stereo Line inputs (see far right)  and loud enough for gigs with real drummers

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11600.0

Graham G

Quote from: Elantric on April 30, 2015, 09:00:15 AM
Today - that would be the  Cube Street EX  = 50 watts stereo Direct Stereo Line inputs (see far right)  and loud enough for gigs with real drummers

Without trying to sound too much like a Relic ;D(which I am)that looks more like a Karaoke machine,that you just happen to be able to plug a GT100 into,would that really work better than a couple of Cubes ?,i will admit it will do exactly what i'd like to be able to do with my cubes,except 8" speakers & no speaker out.

Graham G

Quote from: Elantric on April 29, 2015, 06:18:06 AM
Thanks for the reminder

If the Aux in is what you prefer, you must mic the Cube 80XL at a gig

Since the Cube 80XL's Aux in employs 3.5mm type jack and 20 foot 3.5mm cables are often junk, and some rooms do need minor EQ  - I do the following

To get the Cube 80XL the loudest SPL, use the Mono Left out from the GT-100/GR-55/VG-99/GP-10 and feed the  "top" Guitar Input on Cube 80XL and set to the Channel select to "JC Clean" channel and leave it there.   I set the Cube 80XL's JC Clean Volume at 10:00 o'clock, and set the EQ all at 12"00 o'clock (flat) as a starting point then use the Output Level control on the GT-100/GR-55/VG-99/GP-10  to set the volume, and use minor EQ adjust on the Cube80XL to suit the room

And I use my remote footswitch switch for the Cube 80XL's built "Solo Boost" and toggle  Reverbs and Delay as needed  - works for me.

Well,i tried my new set-up on Stage,useing the Aux In,with good quality Van Damme mini cables(4 metres)with Neutrik Mono 6.35mm Jack to Neutrik 3.5mm Jack,Main L/R out of GT100 into Aux in the Cubes & low & behold it sounded Junk,lowering the Patch Master Levels was a disaster,it sounded a bit better with the Masters at 100%,but i swapped back to my normal way of useing the GT100/Cubes,which is pretty much as Elantric describes above(because a couple of months ago i followed his advice on how to set up).
BUT,i need this overall sound at lower stage volume & the lower output cubes use smaller speakers,i prefer the Guitar sound of 12's,don't know what to do about amplification :-\ 
Graham.

Elantric

There is a known phenomena called the Fletcher -Munson curve.
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Courses/SummerWorkshops/96/Psychoacoustics/labs/loudness/

It states our ears are not flat response when hearing same music at various decibel levels. This explains the old "Loudness" switch that would boost the low frequencies on older Stereos- engage it when playing at low volume.

Every room I play has a different resonant peak and requires access to a global EQ to compensate for the room resonance.

That's why I use the Cube 80 XL JC120 Clean channel ( has far more headroom than the Lead Channel ) and the 4band EQ and set levels and EQ to taste.

Graham G

Thanks,Elantric.I used earn my living in the UK Hi-Fi industry,given it up now,but your comment about the LOUDNESS button made me smile,in the UK hi-fi industry the loudness button was the route of all evil,created by the Devil ;D.
I gigged again last night & as you correctly stated the sweet spot for the Cubes Volume on the clean channel is & 10 o'clock,but it's just a bit too loud,we've worked hard at getting our stage Volume down & i'm now the too loud culprit,i've taken over from the drummer.
I got to thinking,i wonder if the pin out on the Cube 40 power amp IC,is the same pin-out as the Cube 80 IC,i assume it's also an IC,like the 80 & 60,i don't suppose you'd have any info on this?
Cheers,Graham.

Graham G

Just an update on my previous comments about preferring the sound of the Cube 60 to the 80XL.
Yesterday i used headphones in my 80XL for the first time(practicing with the looper)after about 10mins,i realised that the sound through the headphones was more open & fluid than i'm used to with the XL while playing live,in fact the response from the Guitar felt/sounded like the Cube 60.
Unplugged the headphones & played through the amp speaker & once again the Amp sounded/felt dead(i hate trying to describe sound),but as though the notes,harmonics where subdued.
So if the Amp sounds "right"(TO ME" :)through the headphones,the difference i'm hearing is the speaker/cabinet,of the 80XL when compared to the 60.
So i started to swap the driver from my old Cube 60 into the 80XL,hmmm the drivers are the same part number & look identical,but the 80XL cabinet is different.
As well as being Larger than the 60,there are no front ports,the 60 has 2(with tubes).
So with the driver being the same,i put the 80XL amp in the 60 cabinet,whalla,there's the Cube 60 sound i love,but with the better COSM & extra features of the 80XL,so conclusion,i obviously prefer the tuning of the ported Cab,it makes a big difference.
Now nobody else including Roland might agree with me,about this(or even,care ;D)but i'm as happy as a pig in S***.
Got my Cube 60 sound back,with the benefits of the 80XL,& what's twice as good is,i've also swapped the cabs on my other 60/80XL,so i'm doubly happy :) :)
I don't expect anyone cares,but i'm old & have plenty of time,so i though i'd post my findings.
Cheers,Graham.

Elantric

Thanks for the update on your progress with this amp.

Graham G

Thanks for reading the post & replying,i know from your posts you're interested in the COSM Cubes & you have owned both of these amps.
If you still have access to a Cube 60,i think you'd be very interested in the result of partnering the 80XL amp in the 60 cabinet.
Cheers,Graham.

Elantric

Compared to the Cube 60 , the stock Cube 80X, Cube 80XL - with their closed cabs are capable of lower frequencies  -

My Meat and potatoes live gigs are mostly with my Surf band- where I need the extended low end of the Cube 80XL for "Dick Dale" style tunes

Here is my Cube 80XL in Action ( I'm on far right)

( only one camcorder mic)

My old Cube 60 I "gifted" to a friend who needed it more than me.

Graham G

Very authentic sound(the whole band)& nice Guitar playing,you guys would be a big hit at the 60's Jam night i go to(The Merseycats)in Liverpool.
A few of the original Liverpool bands from the late 50's early 60's,still get up & play,sadly i'm old enough to be one of them.

Elantric

Quote,you guys would be a big hit at the 60's Jam night i go to(The Merseycats)in Liverpool.

Thanks! Would love the opportunity to do that before I die ;)

Graham G

Quote from: Elantric on June 24, 2015, 08:50:32 AM
Thanks! Would love the opportunity to do that before I die ;)

Sorry,missed your reply,it's pretty easy,all you have to do is book your Band on a flight to Liverpool,turn up at the Merseycats(all equipment is there) & maybe you could play at the MERSEYRATS jam night,held at a venue where the Beatles regulary played,then it might be possible to organise a spot at the Cavern. ;D
Graham.

CBHScott

Quote from: Elantric on January 31, 2015, 01:34:58 PM
Must be the Cube 80GX ?

Comparison with Cube80XL is here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8931.0

Out of curiosity more than anything, putting aside the missing features on the GX vs. the XL, are there any major differences in how they sound, either running through a GR55/GP-10, or using guitar directly?

Atreyu

I just got my new 80gx today. Plugged the GR-55 into the aux in (using 2x jack to 1x mini jack), set the gr-55 to line out but I am disappointed with the performance.

Because when I set the GR-55 to "mod - steel" I get distortion - unlike when using headphones plugged directly into the GR-55.

Is there a better way?

Oh and is it really supposed to be this loud?? I set the 80gx master volume to 7:30 and GR-55 to 8:00 and the wife still made a scene  :-X

Elantric

I use the older Cube 80XL

But the Cube 80GX shares the important "JC Clean" channel

zapantalambda

Hello guys. Im on the hunt for this amp (80XL) here in australia unfortunately it turns out that this one is not going to be an easy find. we got heaps of 80GX but not the 80XL. i want this amp bcos it's recommended and tested alrdy by sir Elantric.
to a non-techy person like me, i'd rather save myself the trouble of experimenting products, and go with the ones that are alrdy recommended.
im checking ebay. oh the waiting game* :(

Elantric

A few folks here ( Codesmart) have the Cube 80 GX and love it

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on August 13, 2015, 03:58:13 PM
A few folks here ( Codesmart) have the Cube 80 GX and love it
You are right Elantric, it's a great thing. For an amp this size, weight and price the sound is really awesome. I recommend you to buy the foot controller also if you want to use it as is, just with a regular guitar without a pedalboard. With just the amp and foot controller you can get most of sounds, COSM Amp simulations and effects you need for virtually any music style. Used in conjunction with a GP-10 and the JC Clean channel you hit the spot. As it also has a mini stereo input you can plug your iPhone to it for play-along or in my case the GR-55 PCM sounds in full bandwidth (well, lacking a bit of lows) along with GP-10 guitar effects.

I use it mostly for rehearsal with the band or at home. The major reason I haven't used it live is because our band plays Classic Hard Rock and a Marshall stack,...well it looks more rock'n'roll  ::) and the Watts and speaker size DOES matter on stage if you want a considerable amount of hard rock energy coming directly from your amp. If not, and I had gigs very often I would consider using the Cube and let the PA do the Watts.

When comparing this thing to the Marshall the major thing is this: A Marshall colors the sound in ways the Cube doesn't. The Marshall with overdrive sounds virtually the same regardless of what type of guitar or pickups you play. The Cube is completely different. If I use my strat (or GP-10 emulation) with overdrive (distortion) it sounds like a strat, if I do a coil-split on my Ibanez DiMarzio pickups, the change of tone is evident. In the Marshall case you just lucky to hear a difference in Neck vs Bridge pickup change.

What is better with the 100W tube Marshall is the noise level. When using the COSM amps with distortion there's background DSP noise (just like the GP-10/GR-55, I guess it's virtually the same DSP program).

Dynamic response is great using JC Clean channel.
Using a clean or almost clean sound for Blues, Funk, Surf or Jazz the Cube is perfect. So much harmonics and texture. For Heavy-Metal head banging, it works ok but won't make the audience puke due to the sound pressure of the amp itself (they may however puke of other reasons).
/CodeSmart

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

dsmmrm

I happen to have an 80x I am planning to sell. It is not an XL. I really don't know what the difference between the X and the XL is. Anyone play both? 

I am a total noob GR55 owner and am still trying to get some usable sounds so I have not had time to play with different amp setups. I also have a JC120 with separate line inputs for each side. Anyone play a GR55 through one? I've been running mine through the PA but after reading this thread it seems like it might be an interesting option.

Elantric

QuoteI happen to have an 80x I am planning to sell. It is not an XL. I really don't know what the difference between the X and the XL is. Anyone play both? 

Id reconsider - I still own both a Cube 80X and Cube 80XL - they are very similar, the Looper is a bit different  - they work great in tandem in Stereo.

the big deal about the Cube80X/XL/GX is the closed back speaker cab, and extended range flat response 10" speaker. Its a COSM Modeling Amp, and when Roland/Boss demonstrates GT-100, GP-10, GR-55 at trade shows  - they typically use a Cube80 

The Cube 80XL is my most used Amp 

To get the Cube 80XL ( or Cube80X) the loudest SPL, use the Mono Left out from the GT-100/GR-55/VG-99/GP-10 and feed the  "top" Guitar Input on Cube 80XL and set to the Channel select to "JC Clean" channel and leave it there.   I set the Cube 80XL's JC Clean Volume at 10:00 o'clock, and set the EQ all at 12"00 o'clock (flat) as a starting point then use the Output Level control on the GT-100/GR-55/VG-99/GP-10  to set the volume, and use minor EQ adjust on the Cube80XL to suit the room

vtgearhead

Quote from: Elantric on July 23, 2015, 03:04:50 PM

Today I tried running my GP-10 into the AUX input of my Micro Cube.  With the output of the GP-10 set to "Combo Return" the sounds are quite good (although volume is bit limited).

When you run in the top of the Cube 80, what type of output are you using?  Front?  Return?  Studio?

Elantric

I always leave Output in the "Line/Phones" setting