Marshall MOSFET power amp + GP-10 plus .. what speakers?

Started by Frankster, August 25, 2014, 06:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankster

Hello all.

Having used an ancient VG-88 and GI-20 for many years I finally splashed out and bought the GP-10 last week. Nice piece of kit, very pleased with it but I'm wondering which amp/speakers to use for small gigs where the backline isn't going through a PA.

My main (tube) guitar rig goes through a Marshall stereo 50 Watt a side tube power amp but I still have my old Marskall 200 Watt a side stereo MOSFET power amp which would seem to be ideal for the GP-10 as the bass response is better and it's a bit more hifi sounding for the acoustic guitar and synth patches.

That leaves the question of which speakers to use with the power amp, do you think it would sound best with full-range PA type speakers or guitar speakers? I'm leaning more toward using full range to get the top end sparkle but I'm wondering if the distorted guitar patches would end up sounding fizzy and nasty in the treble through full range speakers, any thoughts on this?

Frankster

Reading through some other threads everyone seems to like full range amps, is there any issue with the distorted guitar sounds sounding too trebly through full range?

Elantric

Most GP-10 Users are using the internal Roland Amp/Speaker cab simulator for all the guitar tone, then use a flat response Amplification system with capable performance.  If you use Guitar Speaker you will be stuck with 80 Hz to 6.5kHz bandwidth, which makes synth tones and acoustic guitars sound dull.

Frankster

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I'll try hooking the Marshall power amp up to some PA speakers when I get the chance. Should just be a case of tweaking the "straight" guitar patches. I'm excited now, can't wait to hear my new toy blasting through 400 Watts of backline amp.