TC HELICON VOICESOLO FX150 anyone?

Started by Litesnsirens, June 18, 2014, 05:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Litesnsirens

I've just purchased the TC Helicon VoiceSolo FX150.   So far I think it is plenty loud enough to hang as a guitar amp, I mean it really is unbelievable for such a small box.  I could take this box to a jam with live drums and guitar amps and hang.  I'm just not sure yet if it will cut vocals at the same time.  I think it would do vocals alone .. so an either/or (guitar or vocals) kind of deal but I don't know if you could cut it with both.  I'd have to test it in an actual jam situation but it seems to me that when you crank it up with both plugged in there is some sort of compression that happens when you are playing and singing at the same time almost like the guitar is ducking.  This only happens when you are really cranked up so I guess it depends how loud you have to be to cut it at the jam.

As an aside just in case anyone is interested, I've owned the previous incarnation of this box and the Mackie version and this box is a huge improvement over both.  I found with the other boxes the sound was a little boxy or nasal.  This speaker has a much bigger natural sound to it.  I use in ears now so I'm not using it as a monitor just something to mess around with but so far I love it.

Neardark72

I thought at first that I was gong to stick with the stagepass, but it seems like TC is doing a major promotion with the voicelive3 by giving a fx150 with the pourchasse of one VL3. Its starts to look like a no brainer for me for the beginning at least. If the fx150 doesn't délivrer with both, it would n'y cost me a dîme to Try it.

Thanks man!

Litesnsirens

That sounds like a great deal.  I have a VL3 and love it, but when I bought it the deal was for the mic and the gig bag.  I have two of the MP75 mics now... but at the end of the day you can never have enough mics.  If you get it, let us know what you think.  There's also the possibility that if you like it but think it's not quite enough, a second FX150 either in some sort of stereo config or one for voice one for guitar might be good.

Toff.

If you can benefit from the promo - do it.
That unit is good at low to mid volumes and lightweight. At the price (free) it is a no brainer for me.

At "bigger" gigs, you would need a real PA anyway - as far as the GR-55 and VL3 are concerned, they can go straight into the console (that's what I do, as I own them both).
Musical regards,

Toff.

Godin nylon ACS special edition (Light Burst Quilted Leaftop), Taylor T5 Classic, Fishman Triple Play, Roland GR-20, Roland GR-55, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Digitech Vocalist Live5, iConnectMidi2+

myksara

Just stumbled upon this as a a probable upgrade to my Roland CM30
which has been serving me very well as a compact monitor for my
GR55.
Is anyone using this?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

myksara

Now I  am pulling the trigger on this one since all your comments have convinced me that it is excellent for GR55 or GP10 use only.
I don't intend to use it for anything else- just guitar
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,

jerrycali

I bought two of the f x- 150's for my guitar sound - gr55 and digitech processor (normal pickups) - I am running them in stereo and the sound is great ! You need to use the 2nd channel for instrument input - I am using a mixer and then sterero  into channel 2  ( L ) & channel 2 ( R ) - very nice and articulate sound  on all of my patches - when needed , for extra low end I am running  a mono signal into my Fishman Loudbx and the sound is extremely big even at low volumes . Obviously for larger rooms you can run into a bigger PA (  I use QSC or powered Prx JBL ) - I will test these on upcoming gigs and report back - if these do not fufill my sonic needs the next step is two QSC 10's but now we are talking about a 2-3 thousand watt guitar rig and a bigger footprint on stage and restaurants - I wll report back with results - JC

myksara

My TC HELICON VOICESOLO FX150 is here so thought of writing a brief review.

I AM VERY IMPRESSED!!

This has a very good sound and can get quite loud which is very very impressive at this size.
Compared it with my Roland CM30 and I found the FX150 to be better, especially the loudness. And to my ears the frequencies were better on the FX150 too.
And o man this is light as a feather. Weights just 3.3 kilos on my bathroom scales as opposed to the CM30 which is 5 kilos.
The only grudge I have is that the FX150 does not have a carrying handle.  You have to carefully hold it up with the mic stand slots which can get risky in case you lightly bump into someone. So I see myself buying a gig bag for it for safety in transporting.

The layout is very simple
2 channels- Channel 1 for mic, channel 2 for instruments and an aux channel for mp3 player. Each has 3 band EQ and levels.
Aux has a voice cancel button if you want to sing to a song.
The back lit white buttons for adjusting the parameters are a good touch for the darkest of rooms/stages.

Phantom power exists for condensers.
You can also feed a dry signal through it to the house mixer/PA.

A nice USB port exists for firmware updates.
You can position horizontally as a desktop speaker, inclined wedge and vertically as well as horizontally on a stand.

I see myself using this for most of my smaller gigs and rehearsals although I think it probably could keep up with a clean drummer (not sure though).
For other gigs I have the Behringer B210D which is kickass and half the price of FX150.

I am having a lot of fun with my BOSS GP10 through the FX150 and the acoustics/ amp modeling sound pristine!..Loads of fun ;D

mbenigni

The FX150 is pretty compelling.  The deal of the century right now is digging up a 15% Musicians Friend Coupon, buying a VoiceLive 3 for $680, then redeeming the TC voucher for a free FX150.  But you have to get an active MF coupon before the TC promotion expires on 7/31... tick tock.

Elantric

QuoteBut you have to get an active MF coupon before the TC promotion expires on 7/31.

Where does one acquire a MF 15% off coupon these days ? I have not seen one since 2011. (Likewise back in 2009 I used to receive 20% off Coupons 4 times a year from Musicians Friend - but no more. 

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on July 16, 2014, 08:56:10 AM
Where does one acquire a MF 15% off coupon these days ? I have not seen one since 2011. (Likewise back in 2009 I used to receive 20% off Coupons 4 times a year from Musicians Friend - but no more. 

I misspoke (or mistyped) - I've been getting 15% Guitar Center coupons every couple of months.  The distinction between the two companies is a little vague at this point.  Anyway, they sent me a 15%-off July 4th coupon, and extended it through the 9th.  That would have been a good window, but I got cold feet.

There was a time when I'd have pulled the trigger on this and/or the GP-10 without hesitation, but I'm a lot more conservative about G.A.S. since we had a baby.  On account of hours in the day as much as money in the bank, really.

Ringleader

The VL3s are selling for as low as $569 on the bay right now as new other. I messaged one seller and they said it came with box and UPC so I see no reason why it wouldn't qualify for the rebate as long as they are an authorized dealer. It would be just like going down to a mom and pop shop and buying the floor model. I am finding it difficult to stay away from this deal since another FX150 for stereo would be very cool. Even if I just turned around and flipped the VL3 after the promo was over.

mbenigni

Ringleader

If an ebay promo pops up with like quadruple ebay bucks before the TC promo ends, I have a feeling I am sunk.  I'm only human!! :)

myksara

Elantric: a mail from musicians friend received yesterday says
LOOKING FOR COUPONS? CALL NOW: 877-560-3807

myksara

I bet!
However living in India, it is just impossible to take advantage of the lucrative group buys we have here
:(

mbenigni

I'm pretty sure if you got customer service at GuitarCenter.com on the phone, and told them you saw a 15% off two weeks ago, and that you're willing to pay no more, they'd match it.  I had the Voicelive 3 in my cart at the discounted price, so I can confirm that TC Helicon gear is not on their (long) list of exceptions.

But this is significantly less interesting with ProAudioStar etc. blowing out open-box VL3's for ~$570.

Elantric

My free rebate VoiceSolo FX150 arrived today  - looks and sounds great - I'll probably order another for stereo

Vade

@My free rebate VoiceSolo FX150 arrived today  - looks and sounds great - I'll probably order another for stereo

It is nice but a bit specialized. I was hoping I'd be able to use it to adjust volume and EQ to each channel and send it out either stereo or mono. Sadly, if I'm understanding correctly, it either mixes the signals to mono or, alternatively it sends one of them through dry only.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Ringleader

Quote from:  Elantric on August 20, 2014, 01:48:58 PM
My free rebate VoiceSolo FX150 arrived today  - looks and sounds great - I'll probably order another for stereo

Mine arrived today. I already had one so hooking them up in stereo sounds pretty darn good. It doesn't help them go any lower (obviously) but the coaxial design adds to a great spacial effects when used in stereo. Now is the time to buy one too, some are going for ridiculously low prices on ebay as a result of people trying to offset the price of their VL3 purchase.

There is still a slight fuzz sound on lower notes on guitar played softly that annoyed me with my first one. But overall, they beat my old Behringer so there isn't really any other option out there in this size and format.

Elantric

QuoteNow is the time to buy one too, some are going for ridiculously low prices on ebay as a result of people trying to offset the price of their VL3 purchase.

I'm not seeing any Voice Solo FX150 deals on ebay myself - $236 seems to be the lowest I can find - or starting bid $230 - which lacks a warranty since its not from an official TC Helicon Dealer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TC-Helicon-VoiceSolo-FX150-PA-Vocal-Personal-Live-Stage-Monitor-Speaker-Effects-/191295319191?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item2c8a16ec97

So I just ordered my 2nd one here at Amazon:

TC Helicon Voice Solo FX150 Channel Powered Speaker Cabinet $229
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IGDHSLM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As mentioned before - the Voice Solo FX150 sounds much better ( and much louder) than Behringer B-205D

My only complaint with Voice Solo FX150 is the large bulky 42.5VDC External AC power brick 

http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicesolo-fx150/
http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicesolo-fx150/support/

DF400

I just received my FX150 through the VL3 Promo. I'm very impressed with the little box! It is loud, light and nice range. Only issue so far is it doesn't quite grip my mic stand with the self-grip rubber. I'm not sure, but the sizing seems to small for what I believe is a standard mic stand. Also, be very careful not to re-adjust while it's hanging on a mic stand, with cables connected - I noticed it get's uncomfortably close to bumping cables while re-adjusting on the stand.

Has anyone gigged using two (in stereo) yet? I'm very tempted to get another.

Vade

I'm considering picking up a second FX-150 and using them in stereo as a solo/small group GP-10 gig/jam rig. I like the sound of the units (even without the woofer) and the fact that they're so light weight. The chief competition as I see it at the moment is the Bose L1 Compact which is also relatively lightweight and even easier to set up than stereo FX-150's. I've read that there are better sounding PA's but the trade off seems to be the weight of the superior systems and I want to keep my rig light enough for an older guy to haul in with one trip. So what do you folks with experience with both systems think? Or should I reconsider the whole weight thing because the superior systems are just too good to pass on just for convenience sake;  (I know everybody's ears, budget, and needs are different but I still would appreciate reading some opinions.)
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

Elantric

When selecting any amplification system  - It boils down to:

* Do you perform with a real Drummer? - You will need a high powered amplification system for your DSP Guitar Modeling system to compete  / blend with the energy and Sound Pressure Level of Acoustic drums

* What is the size of the Venues you perform in? if its a small coffeehouse or restaurant Two VoiceSolos should be fine. 

Of course if you are playing concerts in the park outdoors - you will need a much larger PA

I just received my 2nd VoiceSolo FX150, and while two in stereo sound wonderful to me,  - know this will never work with a loud rock drummer - As soon as he hits his ride cymbal you will be lost and buried in the mix. 

Vade

No drummers or big gigs in sight so it's more about whether the 2 FX150's sound as good as the Bose L1.