Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 (2x20W) Stereo Combo

Started by Elantric, March 06, 2014, 09:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

This is on my radar

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/guitars/namm-2014-blackstar-amplification-expands-id-series-with-new-idcore-models-591981

These use 2 x 6.5-inch full range speakers - so it might work as a possible small stereo practice amps for GR-55 / VG-99

ID: Core 40 Stereo – 40-watt (2 x 20-watt) combo

6 Blackstar voices
Patented ISF control takes you from British to American sounds
12 vintage style effects in massive SUPER WIDE STEREO
Store up to 6 CORE ID sounds internally or more via INSIDER software
INSIDER software for deep editing and sharing your sounds with the Blackstar Online Community
USB audio for pro recording capability
Stereo MP3/Line In for great sounding jamming or listening to music
Speaker Emulated Line Out for silent practice or recording
Stereo speaker configuration – 2 x 6.5-inch speakers producing true stereo Blackstar tones
Mains powered via a separate PSU (included with product)

Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40  Owners Manual

http://www.blackstaramps.com/pdf/handbooks/idcore-handbook.pdf

http://www.blackstaramps.com/pdf/handbooks/insider-handbook.pdf

https://plus.google.com/communities/111654239021548320732/stream/df20a4e8-4418-4128-9eea-cde551506b31

Specs and price for Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 is much better ($199 Street) than many competing systems IMHO  (IK iLoud, and  Line6 AMPLIFI) 

http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/idcore/

The ID:Core Stereo 40 is a 2x20W ultimate entry level guitar amplifier. Incredible tone and flexibility is accessed by a simple and intuitive control set and delivered in SUPER WIDE STEREO to give an immersive playing experience that will have you hooked on playing guitar.
ID:CORE represents the culmination of more than seven years' technical Research and Development. These amps have an intuitive control set like a traditional amp, but have the versatility of programmability. The unique controls allow you, the guitarist, to custom design your own sound. The Voice control has six different settings – Clean Warm, Clean Bright, Crunch, Super Crunch, OD 1, OD 2. When used together with Blackstar's patented ISF control you can get the exact tone you're thinking of. The effects section delivers studio quality modulation, delay and reverb effects simultaneously that you can store with your sound.
Deep editing and storing of patches is simple using the Blackstar INSIDER software. Patches can be shared, uploaded and downloaded via the online community. The USB connector also allows you to record from your amp directly to your computer. An emulated output and MP3/line input complete the package. By using the unique Voice control and the patented ISF, ID:CORE Series amplifiers allow unparalleled flexibility and ease of use, enabling you to design the sound in your head and deliver it at home, in the studio or in rehearsal.
ID:Core Stereo 40 Overview
2x20W programmable combo
Super Wide Stereo
EQ with patented ISF
Voice - select from 6 classic channels
12 Stereo Effects
Store up to 6 of your sounds
Free INSIDER software
USB audio for pro recording capability
Stereo MP3/Line In for great sounding jamming or listening to music
Speaker Emulated Line Out for silent practice or recording
Stereo speaker configuration
Mains powered via a separate PSU (Included)
ID:Core Stereo 40 Features Overview

Super Wide Stereo Feature
Blackstar's unique Super Wide Stereo technology gives you an immersive sound experience that will have you be playing for hours.

6 Voice Channels
The Voice control has six different channels - Clean Warm, Clean Bright, Crunch, Super Crunch, OD 1, OD 2.
Effects

12 Effects
12 vintage style studio quality effects - 3x modulation, 3x delay and 3x reverb effects.

MP3 / Line In
Stereo MP3/Line In - for great sounding jamming or listening to music in SUPER WIDE STEREO.

Get a Black ID:Core series combo amp right here:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IDCORE40

Blackstar seeks to up your practice game with the ID:Core Series. Not only are they loaded with with six voices and 12 awesome FX broadcast in "Super Wide Stereo," but you can plug it into your computer via USB to craft and store your own presets. And if you craft a patch you love, you can share it with the world via the INSIDER software.

Ringleader

Seems to use class compliant drivers, wonder if it can be used as an interface for ipad while still using the stereo speakers to monitor? This could be really cool.

Elantric

Elantric

Elantric

Review

www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/31106229?src=3BNM4E9A

By Chris Loeffler | May 01, 2014
By Chris Loeffler

Blackstar ID:Core Series Amplifiers

Only a few years ago the likelihood of getting an affordable amp that was toneful and feature-rich was near impossible outside of stumbling across a garage sale special. Blackstar took note of this and created the Blackstar ID:Core series of solid state amplifiers; bringing flexibility and tone normally found in expensive amps to players at a very affordable price.
The Blackstar ID:Core series includes the ID:Core 10, 20, and 40 models with 2x5W, 2x10W, and 2x20W configurations, respectively. The Blackstar ID:Core family shares a common thematic DNA makeup of true-stereo speaker output, patented ISF tone shifting, six classic preamp channels with savable presets, 12 onboard stereo effects, computer connectivity to share and download tones, and MP3/Line In and Speaker Emulated Line Out for greater practice and recording flexibility. The USB connector also allows you to record your amp directly to your computer.

A Tone Chameleon that Excels in Any Shade

The foundation of the Blackstar ID:Core sound is built around two unique tone shaping tools that allow players to craft their sound; the Voice and ISF controls.
The Voice control gives players access to six distinct preamp voicings and covers a sonic range of pristine cleans, gritty, tube-like breakup and over-the-top gain. Clean Warm offers a traditional, harmonically rich clean tone while Clean Bright offers more openness and fuller frequency range. Mid-gain voicing Crunch produces the highly dynamic breakup of a classic tube preamp and Super Crunch doubles the gain and compression for tight and responsive distortion. The heavy gain voicings of OD1 and OD2 sit firmly in the modern world, with OD1 producing full-tilt, saturated distortion and OD2 kicking the mids into overdrive for silky, focused lead tones.
ISF (Infinite Shape Filter) is Blackstar's proprietary passive circuitry that adjusts the tone stack voicing between "USA" and "UK". The USA side produces the focused, percussive response of a vintage Fender while the UK side is more crunchy and mid-heavy, evoking vintage Marshall tones. The magic of the ISF is the uncharted territories between the two extremes, where perfect blends of the two styles can apply their specific strengths to individual player needs.

More Hues for Your Palette

Placed after the preamp and tone stack, Blackstar ID:Core amps feature a collection of three stereo effect "types" that can be used individually or in serial; modulation, delay, and reverb. Modulation options include Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, and Tremolo; Delay options include Linear (digital), Analogue (rolled back treble), Tape (exponential treble degradation), and Multi (replicating multi-head, syncopated delays); Reverb options are Room, Hall, Spring, and Plate. The modulation effects are present and syrupy with rounded, natural tones that tastefully sweep the input signal rather than taking over the core tone. The Delay and Reverb effects are as organic and convincing as any standalone effect device available and build upon the depth and dimension of your guitar tone. Once you have your amp settings and effects dialed in, they can be saved and recalled at any time.
The stereo field of the effects is huge... much larger sounding and feeling than one would expect from such a compact amp. Modulation swirls expand the perceived sonic field, and exaggerated multi-head delays appear to originate from several feet beyond the amp in all directions, even when you're sitting directly in front of the speakers.

The Perfect Practice Partner

One of the intrinsic benefits of the Blackstar ID:Core series amp architecture is consistent tone at any volume. This makes for no-fuss tonal transitions when adjusting the volume from a band context to bedroom practice. If "quiet" practice still isn't enough, the inclusion of a line out with speaker emulation makes silent practicing and recording hassle-free. The MP3/Line In jack lets you play over jam tracks or your favorite songs without lugging around a separate stereo for your audio player, and the free INSIDER software allows for deep editing and storing of patches and uploading and sharing tones with the Blackstar online community.

Elantric

Brief Review of Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 (2x20W) Stereo Combo

1)  When using its 1/4" Guitar Input Jack, this amp works very well, very good DSP Amp Modeling, and nice stereo Effects that makes me want to try its larger cousin  - the Blackstar ID260 Stereo 2x12 (2x60watt) amp, that also has full MIDI control   
http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/id260/

2)  When feeding an external Stereo source into the 3.5mm TRS Stereo Aux/MP3 Input, the  Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40's two 6.5" Speakers are revealed to be nearly Flat and full range  - missing ultra low frequencies - I estimate the frequency response range is 80-12kHz - I could see myself using the  Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 instead my pair of Auratone 5C Sound Cubes to check mixes. It works rather well, and goes a bit louder than the IK Multimedia iLoud
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9957.0

3) The Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 is AC Power Only -( no battery power option )- relies on a 16VDC @ 3.5Amp power brick

4)  When feeding the Headphone Output from a Roland VG-99 into the Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40, I had mixed results - observed the following.

* Most Electric Guitar oriented tones worked well, but the SPL Volume level emitting from the speakers could never get in the same volume as I experienced when using its 1/4" Guitar Input Jack and the built in DSP Amp Modeling.

* The Deal breaker was when I tried to use the  Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 as a Stereo monitor Amp for the VG-99's Clean Acoustic and Nylon Classic Patches. These demand a very clean high wattage Amplification system if you expect to have transparent full fidelity, no distortion, no clipping  at high SPL.
What I experienced was the  Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 would just auto shut down after 10 seconds using the VG-99's Nylon Classic Patch (005 Sevilla Nylon) , rather like the old 1960s Vox Super Beatle Amp Watchdog Power breaker  - a design implemented to save burning out Power Output devices / Speakers when the 3.5mm TRS Aux/MP3 input is overloaded.  Meanwhile VG-99 Electric Patches worked well and sounded good - just not at the same decibel level I could achieve using the Blackstar alone.

But overall I'm happy with the  Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40, as a small grab & go amp to use for low volume gigs.

The optional Blackstar FS-11 Footpedal
http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/fs11/

Blackstar Foot Controller FS-11, original footswitch for Blackstar ID:Core series, FS-11 offers two modes of operation, Mode 1 allows the user to switch between two channels and turn the effects on and off, Mode 2 allows the user to switch between all the patches, rugged two-way footswitch with a metal housing.

Elantric

QuoteSeems to use class compliant drivers, wonder if it can be used as an interface for ipad while still using the stereo speakers to monitor? This could be really cool.

Will test the iPad+CCK USB connectivity this weekend, and test  / verify its bit depth using Bitter (with my mac)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10663.0

Also I submitted a Review of the Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 to Harmony Central -

http://www.harmonycentral.com/reviews/product/blackstar-id%253Acore-40-stereo-%25282-x-20watt%2529-539a3dcd9bedd/721209

EDIT: Oct 9, 2014
Re: Blackstar ID Core 40  - It has a very poor power amp design - best to avoid .

Last night I was at a recording session with my Kemper, and wanted to use the Blackstar ID Core 40 Aux Input as a basic powered monitor, (to dial in ballpark Kemper Tones between tunes while they loaded up a new song in Protools) - but the damn Blackstar ID Core 40's power limiter auto thermal shutdown "feature" kicks in and disables the Blackstar ID Core 40 Power Amp ( with No sound) after 3 minutes of playing the Kemper at very low volume. You have to shut off the Blackstar ID Core 40 power switch and wait a few minutes before it works again, then repeats the same process of shutting down after three minutes of use. Just dreadful - NOT RECOMMENDED! .

Blackstar ID Core 40 looks great on paper  - but between the frequent thermal shutdowns, massive proprietary AC Power Brick (thats easy to loose) - I can not recommend this amp. 

Elantric

Edit: - I'll keep the Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 "Stock", and use the headphone output to drive this powered extension cab, based on a Truck Stereo speaker box   

I bought  two of these 6.5" coax full range speakers with intention of building a stereo FRFR Speaker cab for practice - these  handle up to  120 watts  / 8 ohms

and add an updated  stereo power amp (100 watts) and a real AC Power inlet and a small mixer create a small mobile GR/VG amplification rig.   

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JOQIJM/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sony CWSIC150T In-Ceiling Speaker (Each, White) $15 /ea
6.5" Home Theater In-Ceiling Platinum Series Sposato Speaker

Product Specifications
Sony
Impedance = 8
RMS Power Range - Amplifiers = 120 watts

I like the Blackstar Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 Preamp and its size  - but its power Amp is a bit sensitive to thermal shutdown  - so I will be modifying it with the goal of using it for VG-99 /GR-55 use  - I will be using the 6.5" 120watt Sony Coax Speakers mentioned above and this power amp:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/entry-level-38-page-2
http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp7498e-200w-class-d-digital-amplifier-with-bluetooth-and-power-supply--310-298
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?238448-Lepai-LP7498E-200W-Class-D-Amplifier-w-BlueTooth

App notes / mods
http://trevormarshall.com/class-d-tutorial/

and use this power supply for more headroom
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/320W-36V-9A-switching-power-supply/408231_570777483.html

Ed_Saxman

Quote from: Ringleader on March 11, 2014, 06:57:16 AM
Seems to use class compliant drivers, wonder if it can be used as an interface for ipad while still using the stereo speakers to monitor? This could be really cool.

Class Compliant, but no Core Audio Compliant.... until yesterday.

Record onto your iPhone or iPad with the ID:Series or ID:Core. NEW Insider update available!
www.blackstarinsider.co.uk

Ringleader

Do you have to use the headphones to monitor the tracks and amp tones? Or can the built in speakers be used as the monitor?

Ringleader

Really? Then this is pretty darn cool. Usually with these types of amps as soon as you plug in the USB jack it automatically disables the built-in speakers since it assumes you are recording and monitoring by another means.

The core versions have full range speakers so it could be a cool little all-in-one stereo live practice guitar rig with iOS processing for looping and/or synths with the FTP.

Elantric

Ringleader

After looking at the manual, it seems that the core vs. the TVP versions have different USB audio output routing options. I'm worried that only the TVP version will do what I want, but of course that version doesn't have full range speakers.

Does anyone have the core version (10, 20 or 40) that has updated to 1.6.1 and can verify that both guitar and tracks from an iPad can be monitored via the built-in speakers?

Ringleader

Ha thanks, when I reread your posts I realized that you didn't state which version you have (TVP or core) and you said "speaker" instead of "speakers" so I just wanted to verify again before picking one of these up. Stereo full range use with my iPad over USB is really the only reason I would want one. But now that this works I will be getting one today. :)

Ringleader

The more I think about using this as a Loopy HD/FTP synth rig, the less I think it will work.

For example, since I don't see any sort of direct monitoring control on the blackstar core series, I assume the processed guitar signal is always monitored directly in the amp so you would need to turn monitoring off in Loopy HD to avoid doubling up/latency phasing the guitar signal. And I would want it to be monitored directly in the amp because getting rid of iOS latency on the guitar signal is the main benefit here.

But then once you turn monitoring off in Loopy HD, any synths that you send to Loopy HD will also be muted so you will only be able to hear them once they have been recorded. That won't work.

Why does everything have to be so damn complicated? Maybe I'll pass on this after all...

Elantric

I told you, yes, the guitar and the tracks from iPad  are monitor-able ALSO through the speakers of the id:core serie amps (10, 20 and 40 watt)

Its just a shame that the Blackstar ID Core 40 completely shuts down its power amp any time you play music at modest volume for more than 5 minutes.
So this feature can never be used effectively

Read my  Blackstar ID Core 40 Amp review here: (Its on my Not Recommended list )

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10758.0

QuoteThe more I think about using this as a Loopy HD/FTP synth rig, the less I think it will work.

For example, since I don't see any sort of direct monitoring control on the blackstar core series, I assume the processed guitar signal is always monitored directly in the amp so you would need to turn monitoring off in Loopy HD to avoid doubling up/latency phasing the guitar signal. And I would want it to be monitored directly in the amp because getting rid of iOS latency on the guitar signal is the main benefit here.

But then once you turn monitoring off in Loopy HD, any synths that you send to Loopy HD will also be muted so you will only be able to hear them once they have been recorded. That won't work.

Consider a gently used Fender G-DEC 3 Thirty - which has a Computer playback audio level control right on the front of the amp and full iPad audio interface compatibility and looper!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6003.0

Ringleader

@Elantric - I thought there was an issue with it shutting down when you used the mp3 aux input since you couldn't get it loud enough (or at least as loud as the guitar signal) and maybe this would be fixed by using the USB connection. I thought maybe the amp was working too hard to amplify the mp3 signal but I may have misinterpreted.

Thanks but I had a GDEC 3 30 for a very short while and if I recall correctly, once USB was connected it shut down the built in speaker which defeats the purpose for me since I have plenty of other good sounding devices that go direct to iPad, it is just having the all in one speaker/processor that is so appealing.

Elantric

Quote@Elantric - I thought there was an issue with it shutting down when you used the mp3 aux input since you couldn't get it loud enough (or at least as loud as the guitar signal) and maybe this would be fixed by using the USB connection. I thought maybe the amp was working too hard to amplify the mp3 signal but I may have misinterpreted.

Blackstar ID Core 40  shuts down when ANY full range audio is being amplified -regardless if the source is USB or 3.5mm Aux Input

QuoteThanks but I had a GDEC 3 30 for a very short while and if I recall correctly, once USB was connected it shut down the built in speaker which defeats the purpose for me since I have plenty of other good sounding devices that go direct to iPad, it is just having the all in one speaker/processor that is so appealing.

Not the case here - Unplug headphones to hear USB audio thru the G-DEC 3 Thirty's  speaker

Ringleader

Interesting. I bought a GDEC 3 30 for teaching and there was something about it that turned me off but if it's not that then I can't remember what it was. Maybe it was both guitar inputs competing for each other into the front of the amp when used simultaneously? I'll take another look into it, thanks.

joaobraga

@Elantric
Blackstar ID Core 40  shuts down when ANY full range audio is being amplified -regardless if the source is USB or 3.5mm Aux Input

That's weird, could it be a malfunction?
According to the ID Core Owner's Manual:
        "16. MP3/Line In
          Connect the output of your MP3 or CD player here. Adjust the player's volume to
          match that of your guitar to enable you to play along."

I was expecting to use the aux input (mp3/line in) with gp10 and kemper at moderate levels but if it shuts down it won't be an option.

Elantric

Re: Blackstar ID Core 40  - It has a very poor power amp design - best to avoid .

Last night I was at a recording session with my Kemper, and wanted to use the Blackstar ID Core 40 Aux Input as a basic powered monitor, (to dial in ballpark Kemper Tones between tunes while they loaded up a new song in Protools) - but the damn Blackstar ID Core 40's power limiter auto thermal shutdown "feature" kicks in and disables the Blackstar ID Core 40 Power Amp ( with No sound) after 3 minutes of playing the Kemper (Kemper Headphone Out > BlackStar ID-Core 40's 3.5mm TRS  Aux Input) at very low volume. You have to shut off the Blackstar ID Core 40 power switch and wait a few minutes before it works again, then repeats the same process of shutting down after three minutes of use. Just dreadful - NOT RECOMMENDED! .

QuoteThat's weird, could it be a malfunction?

I contacted Blackstar Customer support  - they said the Thermal shutdowns are a designed in "feature" of the Blackstar ID:Core. Its there to prevent the low wattage speakers from being blown by DC transients that occur when a low wattage power amp is over driven into square wave clipping. Problem is this happens at relatively low volume ( much lower SPL than my Roland Mobile Cube )

Blackstar ID Core 40 looks great on paper  - but between the frequent thermal shutdowns, massive proprietary  AC Power Brick (thats easy to loose) - I can not recommend this amp.     

joaobraga

supernicd

It's a shame to read this thread (though I'm glad I did).  I stopped in at my local mom & pop music store yesterday and plugged into the 10W version of the ID:Core on a whim.  I thought it really sounded fantastic.  Reacted really well to picking dynamics, and the super wide stereo sounded awesome with the built in effects.  I almost walked out with one but decided to do a little research first.

So I guess the conclusion is that it is not really useable as a monitor for any other modeler due to the power amp shutdown issue huh?  I guess for $99 US, it might still be worth picking up the 10W version just to use as a bedroom level practice amp.  I really did like some of the sounds I was getting and the price/portability/volume/feature equation seems to work for that.  But doesn't seem like moving up to the 20, 40, or 60W version would really be worthwhile.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

supernicd

Hey, just curious, is this thermal shutdown feature resolved or improved by the latest firmware for the amps?  I see something on the website about increasing USB output levels.  Not sure if the issues you encountered were before or after the current firmware (1.1.2).  The note about USB output levels is in the graphic at the top rather than the release notes themselves:

http://www.blackstarinsider.co.uk
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

QuoteHey, just curious, is this thermal shutdown feature resolved or improved by the latest firmware for the amps?

Firmware should not change this aspect of the amp, as its a thermal protection circuit hardwired in the power amp section   - it really sucks because the IDCore 40 amp shuts down less than 20 seconds after I connect any moderate level external audio. 

I get far more use ( and SPL Volume) from one of these instead